TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Leagues Clubs like in Aus

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

I believe most Aus RL clubs are financially supported by huge not for profit, multi million dollar turnover members clubs which gives a huge advantage for clubs both financially and accessing their community.

has there ever been the same model used in UK sport? I cant recall any, not even in other sports.

If so, are there any existing models and if not, why did they fail?

Seems to me that these membership clubs are a great example of clubs engaging with their community.

#2 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

Most of the amateur game is propped up by clubs, we dont have the same income which is mainly due to gambling in Aus

#3 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

Salford used to have a thriving night club in the 60's that was patronised by the Manchester glitterati George Best etc
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#4 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

Went to see Penrith play Souths when we visited Sydney in 2009, and their leagues club complex is huge - much more than just the club itself. Bars, restaurants, hotels and a golf driving range. We took our son on the mini golf course. After seeing that, it was something of a shock to see the decrepit state that parts of the ground were in.

#5 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

Went to see Penrith play Souths when we visited Sydney in 2009, and their leagues club complex is huge - much more than just the club itself. Bars, restaurants, hotels and a golf driving range. We took our son on the mini golf course. After seeing that, it was something of a shock to see the decrepit state that parts of the ground were in.

when i was there in the 90s they also had a lake and man made beach

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#6 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,599 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

I went to St.George's Leagues Club. Awesome.

A bit like the Posh Penguin used to be back in the day.

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

I loved the Penrith club, tbh I quite liked the stadium too.

#8 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

The leagues clubs thrive because of Sydneysiders obsession with gambling and 'pokies'. I was a member of the Balmain tigers leagues club before it moved from Rozelle, I think I went twice it was like a modern working men's club, not really for me, but its a great source of revenue that's for sure.

#9 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,644 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

There was a fashion for 'social clubs' in the mid late sixties
Salford was the most successful
Wakefield sold theirs and it became Wakefield theatre club now it's a bowling alley
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#10 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

when i was there in the 90s they also had a lake and man made beach

Yeah, I think they have jet skiing or something like that on a lake.

#11 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

I loved the Penrith club, tbh I quite liked the stadium too.

The two stands were OK, but it looked very shabby at either end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users