Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

GB Lions Tours WILL return in expanded international programme

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

Steve Mascord's article in 40 20 magazine regarding plans for the international game after interview with RLIF chairman
Lots in this article but a summary is GB Lions tour to Aus/NZ in 2015, more opportunities for tests between Pacific nations, expanded World Club Challenge and why the RLIF would like to take the World Cup to South Africa
http://stevemascord....ext-five-years/

Edited by John Drake, 11 June 2013 - 09:22 PM.
Full posted article removed

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#2 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

I hope they bring back the 2005 - 2006 GB design.  Fantastic design which is almost impossible to track down replica jersey form these days.

_41113742_gb_gi.jpg

I still wonder how long it will take for them to be a 'true' GB side though as it says in my thread lower down the page.

Edited by HappyDave, 11 June 2013 - 07:19 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#3 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

Wow - Cunningham in a GB shirt! :D

I am happy for GB to come back, but please only for tours overseas.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#4 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

I hope they bring back the 2005 - 2006 GB design.  Fantastic design which is almost impossible to track down replica jersey form these days.

_41113742_gb_gi.jpg

I still wonder how long it will take for them to be a 'true' GB side though as it says in my thread lower down the page.

I've got one.

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

I only read what Steve Mascord has to say on here, but doesn't he keep making these claims, and then they go quiet, and then he makes them again?

What's his reputation like for this kind of thing?

#6 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

Where's the bit about the expanded international programme? The Pacific Cup seems to be as dead as a dodo!

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#7 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

Steve Mascord's article in 40 20 magazine regarding plans for the international game after interview with RLIF chairmanLots in this article but a summary is GB Lions tour to Aus/NZ in 2015, more opportunities for tests between Pacific nations, expanded World Club Challenge and why the RLIF would like to take the World Cup to South Africa http://stevemascord....ext-five-years/

Please don't copy and paste ENTIRE articles from other websites. It is a breach of their copyright. A link and a short intro is sufficient. Thanks.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#8 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

This article was from the May edition of Forty 20 magazine, so I think events have moved on a bit. In his article in this month's RLW Steve does state the the WCC plans for Perth next year are less likely than he was led to believe, and we might just end up with a single game here in the UK again. In fact, reading what Scott Carter actually says about the whole international programme for 2015 onwards, including a LIons tour, I'd say it's still all up for discussion.

And Scott Carter states in the article that the preferred bid for the 2017 WC would be an Aus/NZ one. The South African bid is pie in the sky stuff.

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

I've got one.

Me too.

And my bro still does I think as well, I might see if he's fussed about keeping it if Happy Dave is interested.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

_41113742_gb_gi.jpg

Look on Ebay..four or five... depending on your size..

#11 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

the only time a GB tour makes sense,without distrupting other established comps like the 4 nations,european cup & world cup is in the year after a world cup.

like this
2013 world cup
2014 GB tour (proper tour meaning 3 tests v australia plus a couple of tests v png,tonga,fiji etc)
2015 4nations,european cup,pacific cup
2016 4nations,european cup,pacific cup
2017 world cup
2018 GB tour of NZ

its gets the GB tour out the way so then everyone can concentrate on building towards the next world cup...

the suggested plan of having a GB tour in 2015 involving 2 games v australia,2 games v NZ and maybe play a pacific island allstars team....seems like a back of a fag packet idea which leaves the RFL with only 1 series/tournament to host (the 2016 4 nations) between now and 2018...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#12 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

the only time a GB tour makes sense,without distrupting other established comps like the 4 nations,european cup & world cup is in the year after a world cup.

like this
2013 world cup
2014 GB tour (proper tour meaning 3 tests v australia plus a couple of tests v png,tonga,fiji etc)
2017 world cup
2018 GB tour of NZ

its gets the GB tour out the way so then everyone can concentrate on building towards the next world cup...

the suggested plan of having a GB tour in 2015 involving 2 games v australia,2 games v NZ and maybe play a pacific island allstars team....seems like a back of a fag packet idea which leaves the RFL with only 1 series/tournament to host (the 2016 4 nations) between now and 2018...

That would make utter sense - can't see it ever happening though!

When would the World Club Challenge be played? Same time of the season as now?!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#13 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

yep

OLDHAM RLFC

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,862 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

The South African bid is pie in the sky stuff.

I know it would be nice for rugby league to march triumphantly into South Africa but I can't see how the reality stands a chance of matching the dream.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#15 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

like this
2013 world cup
2017 world cup
2018 GB tour of NZ

The only time a Lions tour would make sense is when it features players from all four of the home nations, unless it's the case this is just pointless window dressing. England with a different name and shirts on, disguising the fact that despite there have been plenty of gains in Wales development of the sport in the home nations has yet to make any significant steps forward. Typical of this RL administration headed by Nigel Wood though.

#16 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

oh i agree with that wholeheartedly im just miffed with the positioning of the GB tour and how it disrupts the individual nations

OLDHAM RLFC

#17 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

_41113742_gb_gi.jpg

Make that navy instead of royal blue and it would pass as an England shirt (see recent thread). 

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#18 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

I like the top HappyDave has posted, but should be white sleeves.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#19 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

I like the top HappyDave has posted, but should be white sleeves.

Similar to the 2007 one? My favourite one.

122957bg.jpg

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#20 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

The white one is too 'England'. Maybe change the sleeves to red to represent Wales. ;)
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users