Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

mc namara calls you "the fans" blinkered

the super league show

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#1 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

mc namaras latest off the cuff insult to the fans was to call them "blinkered" in last nights superleague show, are these the same fans who turn up to grand and cc finals together (from different clubs) in their thousands? the same ones that sit stand drink chat and laugh together for the love of the game?(from different clubs) how can these morons know any thing about rl apart from how their own full back has been playing? the same fans who watch sl on sky and pay for the privelidge ?

how will the "blinkered" fans be able to see whats going on on fri if they go to the game then?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#2 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,339 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

Quite so, there have been a fair number of blinkered fans on here!

However, is there a transcript of what he actually said?  Did he say ALL fans were blinkers or just those who have  issues with him?

#3 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Did he say ALL fans were blinkers or just those who have  issues with him?

Just the blinkered ones.

Posted Image

#4 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,150 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

How does 'blinkered' become 'morons' in only three lines?

#5 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

"fans from each club, they watch their clubs and their blinkered" well I think that's what he said its hard for me to understand what hes saying, don't know bout you?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#6 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

How does 'blinkered' become 'morons' in only three lines?

being blinkered to me is being compared to been sheltered from exposure so as not to over stimulate an otherwise dormant brain like a dumb animal 

#7 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

Quite so, there have been a fair number of blinkered fans on here!

However, is there a transcript of what he actually said?  Did he say ALL fans were blinkers or just those who have  issues with him?

The programme is still on I-Player.  I've just watched it, and it is as the OP says. 

Somebody really does need to teach McBanana PR skills because he just keeps digging a hole for himself.  First of all he says with some irateness that he is 'sick' of talking about the players who aren't there (that's because a damn good one isn't, Steve) and then he goes on a little spiel about how fans are blinkered, wanting only their own players to play for England, etc, etc.  Yeah, right, that's why fans from so many clubs wanted Brough to play in the halves!  Coz we're all blinkered and only want our own players.

He came across as somewhat patronising and obtuse.

Edited by Saintslass, 11 June 2013 - 07:51 PM.

#8 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

"fans from each club, they watch their clubs and their blinkered" well I think that's what he said its hard for me to understand what hes saying, don't know bout you?

*They're

being blinkered to me is being compared to been sheltered from exposure so as not to over stimulate an otherwise dormant brain like a dumb animal 

*Being

Posted Image

#9 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

Somebody really does need to teach McBanana PR skills because he just keeps digging a hole for himself.

McNamara. Why should he respect the fans if they don't respect him?

Posted Image

#10 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

McNamara. Why should he respect the fans if they don't respect him?

Respect is earned. 

The more I hear him at present the less I respect him. 

And your little teacher impression doesn't earn respect either!  Leave it out (including the spelling lesson above).

Edited by Saintslass, 11 June 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#11 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

Respect is earned. 

The more I hear him at present the less I respect him. 

Fair comment.

Its still incredibly cringeworthy when I see fans use 'hilarious' nicknames to mock people in the game though.

See also 'McDonut' from disgruntled Leeds fans and 'Kashcow' from anyone who doesn't like Salford.

Posted Image

#12 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

Fair comment.

Its still incredibly cringeworthy when I see fans use 'hilarious' nicknames to mock people in the game though.

See also 'McDonut' from disgruntled Leeds fans and 'Kashcow' from anyone who doesn't like Salford.

You're entitled to your cringe.  Each to their own.  But if you listen to him on the Superleague Show I will be fairly sure you won't finish watching without cringing again, but for different reasons.

#13 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

You're entitled to your cringe.  Each to their own.  But if you listen to him on the Superleague Show I will be fairly sure you won't finish watching without cringing again, but for different reasons.

Haha! Touché...

I've interviewed him a couple of times for Love Rugby League and spoke to him off the record at a few RL events recently. He always comes across as a very respectable bloke in my experience. It was nice of him to actually remember who I was and come and say hello at the RLCares dinner!

I don't agree with some of his team selections, but off the field I can't knock him.

Posted Image

#14 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

Fair comment.

nicknames can also be endearing and full of affection, on the subject of respect -I would more than happy to respect my audience, my fans and my peers if I were in such a privileged job as him.

#15 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

I've interviewed him a couple of times for Love Rugby League and spoke to him off the record at a few RL events recently. He always comes across as a very respectable bloke in my experience. It was nice of him to actually remember who I was and come and say hello at the RLCares dinner!

I don't agree with some of his team selections, but off the field I can't knock him.

He might be a cuddly cutey person to person but if you listen to him on the Superleague Show you will be tempted to hide behind your hands just a little bit because he doesn't come across very well.

#16 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

Most fans are blinkered, just read these boards

#17 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

Most fans are blinkered, just read these boards

no they are not- they are very well informed, observant (witty) fans of the game and deserve much better than comments like this

#18 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

I'm a fan and I acknowledge that I'm blinkered in terms of my own club, often stupidly blinkered at times, but I'd rather not have it pointed out to me that bluntly.  Ah well... how to make friends and influence people.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#19 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

Fans are bound to be blinkered as they see more of their club and players than any other. He may have used the wrong word but he's correct all the same, I really don't see what's worth getting worked up about.

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,150 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

Personally I don't find 'blinkered' offensive, I think we all are to some extent, but he probably should just stop answering any questions about his selections and fans opinions of them now.

One point though, he absolutely isn't getting much respect from the fans, and that was well before any squad announcements. It is quite a strange thing this dislike of him, I'm not sure I've witnessed it so much for a national manager, and I'm not that sure what he has done to deserve it.

The level of stick and childish names he gets called on places like this and twitter is quite staggering IMHO.