Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

mc namara calls you "the fans" blinkered

the super league show

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#21 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,589 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

Personally I don't find 'blinkered' offensive, I think we all are to some extent, but he probably should just stop answering any questions about his selections and fans opinions of them now.

One point though, he absolutely isn't getting much respect from the fans, and that was well before any squad announcements. It is quite a strange thing this dislike of him, I'm not sure I've witnessed it so much for a national manager, and I'm not that sure what he has done to deserve it.

The level of stick and childish names he gets called on places like this and twitter is quite staggering IMHO.

It's almost as bad as the England football manager, you're screwed before you get the job and eventually you know you'll end up leaving in disgrace with everyone calling you a cabbage.  The only positive is that you won't have your face plastered across the back page of The Sun pictured as that cabbage.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#22 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,162 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

It's almost as bad as the England football manager, you're screwed before you get the job and eventually you know you'll end up leaving in disgrace with everyone calling you a cabbage.  The only positive is that you won't have your face plastered across the back page of The Sun pictured as that cabbage.

To be fair people will actually give the England football manager a chance. RL fans were also happy with previous appointments so I don't think it is a standard thing, it just seems to have always been there with McNamara.

TBH he hasn't done much to annoy me. The one major point was the Exiles series last year when he treated the 2nd game as a Knights game, which I thought was bang out of order, but other than that I have seen plenty of decent performances and some improvements. It's all I can ask.

#23 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

Fans are bound to be blinkered as they see more of their club and players than any other. He may have used the wrong word but he's correct all the same, I really don't see what's worth getting worked up about.

How am I blinkered by my club may I ask?

Why does McNamara keep coming out with these ridiculous statements, it's absolutely pathetic. He should just give the press the usual garbage which every other coach does so they are unable to write anything about him and get on with his job.

I've bought a ticket for the final, if finances permit I may go to the opener in Wales also. McNamara coming out with stuff like this to fuel his 'I am always right' stubborn ego makes me think twice about attending games.

#24 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

Most fans are blinkered. Go to any game and listen to half the fans calling the ref for virtually every decision that doesn't go their way. It is amazing seeing the difference in mates when I watch a Wakey game with them, and then watch a couple of other teams on Sky. All of a sudden they see knock-ons and high tackles by both sides!

#25 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

How am I blinkered by my club may I ask?

Why does McNamara keep coming out with these ridiculous statements, it's absolutely pathetic. He should just give the press the usual garbage which every other coach does so they are unable to write anything about him and get on with his job.

I've bought a ticket for the final, if finances permit I may go to the opener in Wales also. McNamara coming out with stuff like this to fuel his 'I am always right' stubborn ego makes me think twice about attending games.

I think you reaction is more ridiculous if I'm honest

#26 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

One point though, he absolutely isn't getting much respect from the fans, and that was well before any squad announcements. It is quite a strange thing this dislike of him, I'm not sure I've witnessed it so much for a national manager, and I'm not that sure what he has done to deserve it.

I'm not sure there is a dislike of him, more of a lack of trust.  After all, he's our national coach.  He is supposed to be a coach of the highest standard - he would need to be to coach at international level.  But what did he achieve in order to qualify for the job of national coach?  Nothing.  In fact, Bradford were slipping down the league with him in charge.

Had he been a successful coach - had won some silverware or even just made it to a final or two with his club - then he would have begun his tenure on a positive footing.  But he went into the job with fans not thinking he was up to it based upon his record at Bradford.  And prior to Bradford, where did he coach? 

He was on a loser from the outset IMO.  But he really hasn't made a case for himself in recent weeks.

#27 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

I think you reaction is more ridiculous if I'm honest

Care to explain how? Please try to without going off on a tangent about something completely irrelevant.

#28 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

What did Mal Meninga achieve at Canberra as a coach? Seems to be doing ok in charge of the Queensland side though!

#29 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

McNamara's issue is that he doesn't endear himself to fans and seems unable to justify a lot of what he does. He uses a lot of buzz words and clearly has a lot of favourites within his 'organisation'. When coupled with the fact he doesn't have a track record of success fans feel justified in having a pop at him. Personally I would sack him now and replace him, that's unlikely to happen and therefore ill support the team in the WC against allcomers but until then ill vent frustrations with everyone else ....... and get back to calling him McBanana.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#30 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

What did Mal Meninga achieve at Canberra as a coach? Seems to be doing ok in charge of the Queensland side though!

Coaching Queensland though is like coaching a club team.  NSW is coached by a coach from the lower league, and his side won last week!  I doubt though that the Australians would have appointed Meninga as their national coach based on a couple of years taking a club team further down the league.  Besides, let's face it, coaching Queensland with their spine of players must be a bloody doddle when compared to almost every other coaching job in the league!

Edited by Saintslass, 11 June 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#31 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

What's with all this consternation?

RL fans are, on the whole, a rather blinkered bunch.

You only have to look through some of the threads on here, and this is one of the more reasonable forums.

Live with it, it probably means we're more passionate about our clubs than most other sports.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#32 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

Care to explain how? Please try to without going off on a tangent about something completely irrelevant.

Because you seem to have got really worked up over nothing, and then insinuated McNamara called the fans 'morons ' when he did nothing if the sort.

#33 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,659 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

Respect is earned. 

The more I hear him at present the less I respect him. 

And your little teacher impression doesn't earn respect either!  Leave it out (including the spelling lesson above).

You said it.  Now get earning.

#34 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

Because you seem to have got really worked up over nothing, and then insinuated McNamara called the fans 'morons ' when he did nothing if the sort.

First point I questioned your point about calling me blinkered by my own club when it comes to England selection, you failed to tell me how.

I said making statements aimed at the fans is pathetic which it is, it's like he's trying to generate fan heat.

I didn't put Moron in my post and I never implied it, tangent.

#35 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

First point I questioned your point about calling me blinkered by my own club when it comes to England selection, you failed to tell me how.

I said making statements aimed at the fans is pathetic which it is, it's like he's trying to generate fan heat.

I didn't put Moron in my post and I never implied it, tangent.

I've already stated why fans are blinkered as they see more of their own team than any other and are passionate which clouds judgement.

Sorry got you mixed up with the OP

Edited by christopher, 11 June 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#36 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,659 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

McNamara's issue is that he doesn't endear himself to fans and seems unable to justify a lot of what he does. He uses a lot of buzz words and clearly has a lot of favourites within his 'organisation'. When coupled with the fact he doesn't have a track record of success fans feel justified in having a pop at him. Personally I would sack him now and replace him, that's unlikely to happen and therefore ill support the team in the WC against allcomers but until then ill vent frustrations with everyone else ....... and get back to calling him McBanana.

You know what?  We've had GB and England managers/coaches in the past who have had superb winning track records as players and club managers who have gone on to fail dismally at international level. Th last series win was over 40 years ago, I recall.

You know something else? You and others are perfectly free to have a pop at him, true enough. Childish name calling is sort of your Dennis Healy/Geoffrey Howe moment and I bet McNamara feels like he's been savaged by a dead sheep.

#37 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

Haha! Touché...

I've interviewed him a couple of times for Love Rugby League and spoke to him off the record at a few RL events recently. He always comes across as a very respectable bloke in my experience. It was nice of him to actually remember who I was and come and say hello at the RLCares dinner!

I don't agree with some of his team selections, but off the field I can't knock him.

Me thinks when thou defends him and his captain thou does pen thy words with the..... Devils fine ink

#38 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

It's almost as bad as the England football manager, you're screwed before you get the job and eventually you know you'll end up leaving in disgrace with everyone calling you a cabbage. The only positive is that you won't have your face plastered across the back page of The Sun pictured as that cabbage.

Really? I thought Noble and Smith came out pretty well and went in pretty well.
Posted Image

#39 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

McNamara. Why should he respect the fans if they don't respect him?

Do ALL the fans show him disrespect? His last few comments have certainly shown disrespect to a lot of them.

You'd think he'd show a bit more professionalism than a fan to be fair.
Posted Image

#40 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:47 AM

I've already stated why fans are blinkered as they see more of their own team than any other and are passionate which clouds judgement.

Sorry got you mixed up with the OP

I've seen more of my own team. Am I blinkered that I think Danny Brough should be in the team but no Hull players?

Just a thought...
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users