TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

mc namara calls you "the fans" blinkered

the super league show

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#41 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

What did Mal Meninga achieve at Canberra as a coach? Seems to be doing ok in charge of the Queensland side though!

There's a big difference between a club coach and coaching an Origin or International team. Meninga didn't do well at club level and maybe his style isn't suited to the type of coaching needed day in day out for players of vastly varying age & ability. At Origin & International you have the elite to work with and its more about managing players & motivation rather than nurturing & developing.

Meninga can take already good players and get them to step up another level again. He puts together game plans that play to the strengths of the individuals he has and doesn't try to implement rigid plans & tactics that force players to play differently to the way they do every week for their clubs. Meninga himself has admitted he is a poor coach but is a bl**dy good man manager.

McBanana was a poor club coach (the results were there for all to see) and he's so far failed to show any indication that he has the ability to take the best the British game has to offer and get them to step up to the next level. Instead of playing to individuals strenghts he seems to set out with a specific game plan and then forces players to change to fit in with that.

For mine, McBanana was a poor choice as national coach. He doesn't appear to have the motivational skills needed to get the best out of individuals, the technical skills to put together game plans that fit with the players he has available, or the experience to recognise where he's getting it wrong.

#42 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

How dare he call us blinkered.

All of you are one-eyed halfwits.

:)

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#43 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

Me thinks when thou defends him and his captain thou does pen thy words with the..... Devils fine ink

A true rugby league negative response, there. 

Brutus was much more positive. 

"There is a tide in the affairs of men.

Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat,
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures."

#44 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

He who smelt it,

Dealt it.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#45 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,784 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

You said it.  Now get earning.

I'm not the national coach whose salary is subsidised by the fans, which includes me, and I don't give a monkey's nuts whether you respect me or not or indeed whether you respect me in the future.  Your opinion of me is irrelevant.  However, I think the national coach's stated view, either implied or otherwise, of the punters who keep the whole gig turning over is of genuine importance and if he continues to make sly, negative or dismissive comments about fans then he deserves all the disrespect from fans that he may receive as a result.

• amh likes this

#46 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Ah, never underestimate the ability for people to be offended about absolutely anything.

#47 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'm not the national coach whose salary is subsidised by the fans, which includes me, and I don't give a monkey's nuts whether you respect me or not or indeed whether you respect me in the future.  Your opinion of me is irrelevant.  However, I think the national coach's stated view, either implied or otherwise, of the punters who keep the whole gig turning over is of genuine importance and if he continues to make sly, negative or dismissive comments about fans then he deserves all the disrespect from fans that he may receive as a result.

Just as your opinion of McNamara is irrelevant and the name-calling childish. Hypocrisy is not an endearing trait.

#48 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

i must be one of mcbananas blinkered fans, although i support widnes i have been calling for huddersfield and hull players to be included in the england squad..................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#49 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

i must be one of mcbananas blinkered fans, although i support widnes i have been calling for huddersfield and hull players to be included in the england squad..................

And Widnes, in every single thread. ;)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#50 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

I'm a Leeds fan, obviously.

Burrow and JJB should be no where near the England team. Lunt and Kirkmond should have been there.

Walmsley for Moz too.

That's not being blinkered I don't think. I'm not even happy he's picked Hardaker as a centre.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#51 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,784 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

Just as your opinion of McNamara is irrelevant and the name-calling childish. Hypocrisy is not an endearing trait.

As I said, your opinion is irrelevant.  I don't care what you think about me.  So leave it at that.

#52 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,784 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

I'm a Leeds fan, obviously.

Burrow and JJB should be no where near the England team. Lunt and Kirkmond should have been there.

Walmsley for Moz too.

That's not being blinkered I don't think. I'm not even happy he's picked Hardaker as a centre.

I'm a Saints fan and very happy that Wilkin is not in the team as he is not good enough.  I think Robes is, even though he will be a bit match rusty after his long lay off, but I would have loved to have seen Lunt interchanging with him, not because I have anything against Burrow though.  I just think that Lunt has evolved into the better hooker this season.  I also hope that Ryan Hall rediscovers his 2011 form because he will be devastating on the wing if he does.  And as a Saints supporter who has memories of repeated GF defeats at the hands of Leeds I would say that if I was blinkered then the last team I would want to see represented in the world cup would be Leeds!

#53 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,859 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

There's a poetic correlation between the, 'why can't people take a joke' / 'PCGM' squad on here and those who are getting offended by every minor thing McNamara says.

To be honest, 'blinkered' would be one of the milder adjectives I'd attach to the slightly weird bunch of people intent on lynching him.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#54 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

As I said, your opinion is irrelevant.  I don't care what you think about me.  So leave it at that.

No.

All our opinions are irrelevant..but I don't resort to the use of childish name-calling of the England national coach, who does actually get respect from those who matter.

#55 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

Are fans blinkered? Yes, it's their "job"
Is the England coach equally blinkered? Yes

That's the worrying thing, he is the last person that should have blinkers on.
  • amh likes this

#56 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

Are fans blinkered? Yes, it's their "job"
Is the England coach equally blinkered? Yes

That's the worrying thing, he is the last person that should have blinkers on.

Not sure Macca has been 'blinkered', after all he saw through all the froth and nonsense surrounding the 'Brough for England' campaign and came to the right decision. I'm not sure what more you can expect from a manager.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#57 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

Or alternatively he didn't see past anything

And ignoring Brough since he has opted to play for England there is still the matter of MacNamara refusing to see that fans from all clubs are calling him on his selections of players from their own clubs

He is refusing or unable to see and admit his captain and presumably starting halfback is woefully out of form

He refuses or is unable to see that his selection of certain players is universally regarded as poor and that those players have failed on multiple occasions for England

He fails to acknowledge or is unable to see that his management of any team had produced not a single worthwhile result and that despite having all the resource he could want and time with the team that can be given he has yet to win a series against a scratch side of hastily convened overseas players

I don't give a damn what club any of the England players come from, but I do give a damn that the best players are selected

This is not the case in the present ETS

#58 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,784 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

One of the problems I have with McBanana at present is that he consistently claimed to be picking players on form.  He has altered that slightly in recent interviews, qualifying with 'long term' before 'form'.  This suggests to me that his original claim was false and this suggestion is backed by the evidence that he has consistently chosen certain players over the last three years regardless of their form.  While it is his prerogative to choose who he likes and on what basis he likes, by contradicting himself in this way, and then changing the goalposts recently, he has lost some credibility.  For me personally this recent loss of credibility has simply built upon his consistent use of spin when interviewed previously.  I never trust spin no matter where it comes from. 

#59 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,147 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Argh... temporarily locked while I can see if this thread is even part way redeemable.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#60 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,147 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

Nope, it isn't recoverable and stays locked.  I did try to delete a few but then more would have made no sense and I'd have had to bin most of the thread.  Anyway, I'm sure those of you who wanted to express an opinion of it will have written it by now and the rest is just grumbling.

I'm not that fussed if you can't treat the England coach with respect but I expect you lot to at least try to respect each other.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users