Remi Casty to NRL with Roosters

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

Have you ever considered seeking help from a mental health professional?

Quality input as ever.

#22 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

Quality input as ever.

Hmmm so do you consider the fantasist guff that you post to be "quality input"?

Thought you'd taken your bat and ball home anyway.

#23 Tex Evans Thigh

Tex Evans Thigh
  • Coach
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

Great news. Was just thinking earlier it would be good to get some French players over there. Gives more frenchbplayers the opportunity in sl. Escare great example. Old knackered Brent Webb would have blocked his path if he wasn't old and knackered. Get more of the french spread around.
Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

Posted Image
MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "
Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

#24 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

I'll make a prediction though - Leeds and Saints to apply to join NRL within 5 years. Watch this space.

:sclerosis:. that will only be possible when there is a direct train route through the earths core........................  which will be never!

Edited by shun, 11 June 2013 - 11:09 PM.

#25 Adelaide Tiger

Adelaide Tiger
  • Coach
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:19 AM

:sclerosis:. that will only be possible when there is a direct train route through the earths core........................  which will be never!

Shun, i'll let you into a few things that may ot have made their way to your neck of the woods!

1. Something called the airplane has been invented and you can fly from London to Sydney in 21/22 hours ..... Shock, horror! Heck, you are even allowed to go to sleep on them!
2. The NZ and South African teams that play in the very successful Super 15's tournament have trips that are about 16/17 hours and they play 3 games before returning home
3. And finally the British Lions decided to trial DSK's crazy idea of flying to Oz and play 6 games on the road ..... And by golly it might even catch on!

#26 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:52 AM

This is great news in my opinion, the more British and French players playing in the best league the better for the international rugby league scence. The NRL is a trump card for rugby league, what with the huge amount of money on offer and the fantastic lifestyle which can not only keep the best RL talent in our game but maybe even tempt the top union players. I'd also like to see more British and French youngsters try out the Toyota cup(NRL u20 comp).

#27 Agbrigg

Agbrigg
  • Coach
  • 899 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

I'll make a prediction though - Leeds and Saints to apply to join NRL within 5 years. Watch this space.

Don't forget Fev I'm sure they will be shouting from the rooftops that they should also be included.

#28 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Really? So how does international cricket manage then?

If you had 6 Euro sides the Aussie sides would only need 1 road trip each and the Euro sides at most 3 but possibly just 2. I don't see a huge problem, although of course the preferred alternative would be a self-contained Euro "conference" with smaller road trips just adding colour by way of non-conference games. But that would necessitate as many Euro NRL sides as are in Aus, which brings us back to the same problem that Super League faces, namely that we're not brave or ambitious enough to engineer them.

You didn't used to write the press releases for the Essex Eels did you?

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#29 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

Really? So how does international cricket manage then?

If you had 6 Euro sides the Aussie sides would only need 1 road trip each and the Euro sides at most 3 but possibly just 2. I don't see a huge problem, although of course the preferred alternative would be a self-contained Euro "conference" with smaller road trips just adding colour by way of non-conference games. But that would necessitate as many Euro NRL sides as are in Aus, which brings us back to the same problem that Super League faces, namely that we're not brave or ambitious enough to engineer them.

Why not just rebrand RL in the Northern Hemisphere as NRL Europe and the current NRL becomes NRL Australasia.

You could then have the winner of each NRL comp play in a Champions of the World NRL Grand Final. 

#30 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

Given the amount of movement from the DW to the NRL, I would have thought Wigan would be the obvious club to join the competition.

They could be called the Wigan Ex Pats!

Edited by foozler, 12 June 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#31 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

Why not just rebrand RL in the Northern Hemisphere as NRL Europe and the current NRL becomes NRL Australasia.

You could then have the winner of each NRL comp play in a Champions of the World NRL Grand Final. 

I still dunno why they stick the the "National" bit of NRL, "International" surely?

Given the amount of movement from the DW to the NRL, I would have thought Wigan would be the obvious club to join the competition.

They could be called the Wigan Ex Pats!

Yes. Like! HannerJackFrank would explode with confusion over whether or not they're super stars.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#32 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

Don't forget Fev I'm sure they will be shouting from the rooftops that they should also be included.

Ha ha ha ha, very good. Full marks sir.

#33 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

I still dunno why they stick the the "National" bit of NRL, "International" surely?

Was thinking of mirroring what Gridiron does, they have had the NFL and NFL Europe (don't know much about the latter to be honest, can imagine it not being a great success).

But given the strength and commercial power of the NRL, maybe it is worth considering rebadging Superleague to NRL Europe?

#34 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

Indeed and I've championed this before and given a detailed account of how it could work. But we would need a franchised European league with cap equality with NRL to make it happen and apparently that isn't our style. So my best hope is that NRL forces something smaller by way of the trickle effect I've mentioned.

#35 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

Was thinking of mirroring what Gridiron does, they have had the NFL and NFL Europe (don't know much about the latter to be honest, can imagine it not being a great success).

But given the strength and commercial power of the NRL, maybe it is worth considering rebadging Superleague to NRL Europe?

I caught the ###### end of the NBA on Monday night, I think, and did wonder if we should move to an acronym moniker as we tend to take influence from Australia and America with the nicknames and stuff anyway, much to the annoyance of a few.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#36 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

Indeed and I've championed this before and given a detailed account of how it could work. But we would need a franchised European league with cap equality with NRL to make it happen and apparently that isn't our style. So my best hope is that NRL forces something smaller by way of the trickle effect I've mentioned.

Why would you need cap equality? For me that is not necessary, after all lets remember that the cost of living in Aus is something like double here so their salaries need to be much higher.

Leeds have managed OK against the NRL sides on a lower cap and I'm sure Wigan and Warrington could do alright against against the likes of Souths or Storm in an NRL World Champions Grand Final match.

Edited by foozler, 12 June 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#37 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

Would be great but would of course necessitate NRL taking the reins and I can't see them signing off the current system we have as it is (and I'd be horrified if they did). But a conjoined approach with the Aussies calling the shots would be fine by me, although I suspect I'd be in the minority.

#38 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

Leeds have managed OK against the NRL sides on a lower cap

....in a one-off game on home territory in the NRL off-season.

Let's not kid ourselves - serious games between NRL and Super League sides right now would be embarrassing.

#39 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

I caught the ###### end of the NBA on Monday night, I think, and did wonder if we should move to an acronym moniker as we tend to take influence from Australia and America with the nicknames and stuff anyway, much to the annoyance of a few.

Exactly, people quite happily talk about the NFL or NBA.

Would it be such a leap to rebadge SL as the NRL? If the NRL is the strongest rugby competition in the southern hemisphere, you would like to think that there could be some serious commercial clout in top flight European RL coming under the badge.

Would be a massive punt to do it but why couldn't you have the NRL Grand Final say Wigan v Souths at Wembley, or in Dubai or Hong Kong?

#40 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

Would be great but would of course necessitate NRL taking the reins and I can't see them signing off the current system we have as it is (and I'd be horrified if they did). But a conjoined approach with the Aussies calling the shots would be fine by me, although I suspect I'd be in the minority.

Goes without saying that the Aussies would really be in charge, but I'm not sure that is such a big problem as they already are to all intents and purpose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users