Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

winter league

lets start again

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

I would love to see a semi pro league start up in winter running from sept to april . Take the game back to its roots of winter . An 8 team city league . The 8 cities of bradford , hull, leeds, liverpool, manchester, salford, sheffield and wakefield. Each team plays each other three times in the league for 21 games top four play off 1st v 4th and 2nd v 3rd. Have one double header weekend so each team plays ten home games. Then have a cup comp with two pools of 4 playing teams in there pool home and away for 6 games top two in each pool making the semis. Also drop all these nicknames lets just called teams by there city.Just wondering if im alone in the craving for winter league.

Chief Crazy Eagle

#2 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,412 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

No, you are not alone...well, not completely....just almost.  

see the AOB thread  "Should we send children up chimneys"

#3 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

Head-hands.jpg

Posted Image

#4 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

No no no no no non nooooo no nooooooo nnnnnn oooooo. No

#5 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

I miss it but I can't see it ever returning. The cup final belongs at the end of the season for sure. I will always pine for the fixtures over the seasonal period. Great times.

The summer era is definitely better for spectators especially children and the rugby is better on quality surfaces but post office road on Boxing Day morning had a strange magic about it......

#6 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

I would love to see a semi pro league start up in winter running from sept to april . Take the game back to its roots of winter . An 8 team city league . The 8 cities of bradford , hull, leeds, liverpool, manchester, salford, sheffield and wakefield. Each team plays each other three times in the league for 21 games top four play off 1st v 4th and 2nd v 3rd. Have one double header weekend so each team plays ten home games. Then have a cup comp with two pools of 4 playing teams in there pool home and away for 6 games top two in each pool making the semis. Also drop all these nicknames lets just called teams by there city.Just wondering if im alone in the craving for winter league.

No thanks, I'm quite comfortable with Summer Rugby.  It's also far too chuffing cold for my old bones, I get frostbite and hypothermia at the pre-season friendlies.  In fact I'm going to go and sit with the prawn sandwich lot in the hospitality suite until April next year.

#7 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

I think it's a great idea, but you'd be better choosing cities that aren't already playing in the summer league.

Unless, you mean instead of summer rugby? No, surely not. That would just be mental.
People called Romans they go the house

#8 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:13 PM

post office road on Boxing Day morning had a strange magic about it......

Did it?  My hands and feet didn't fully thaw out until New Year's eve most years.   Although Steve Evans throwing up under the sticks was a pretty amusing memory, but that could have been at Belle Vue.

#9 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Did it? My hands and feet didn't fully thaw out until New Year's eve most years. Although Steve Evans throwing up under the sticks was a pretty amusing memory, but that could have been at Belle Vue.

It did for me! Really fond childhood memories of mid/late 70's.

People wearing new hats, gloves & coats they had received the day before. The whiff of smoke from a distant cigar. Brave man talk of going to the boozer straight after despite being threatened with divorce if it happened. A desperate desire not to go back home after the game as the outlaws would be there - beautiful!!

#10 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

Head-hands.jpg

That made me smile after a rubbish work day. Thanks

#11 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

It did for me! Really fond childhood memories of mid/late 70's.

People wearing new hats, gloves & coats they had received the day before. The whiff of smoke from a distant cigar. Brave man talk of going to the boozer straight after despite being threatened with divorce if it happened. A desperate desire not to go back home after the game as the outlaws would be there - beautiful!!

Maybe it was the totally embarrassing purple Farah kecks me dad used to wear (his Featherstone trousers) that scarred my memory.

#12 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

Maybe it was the totally embarrassing purple Farah kecks me dad used to wear (his Featherstone trousers) that scarred my memory.

Understandable. They don't make em like that any more......

#13 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

I think it's a great idea, but you'd be better choosing cities that aren't already playing in the summer league.

Unless, you mean instead of summer rugby? No, surely not. That would just be mental.

no keep summer rugby but run this as a totally seperate competition

Chief Crazy Eagle

#14 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

As a slight aside, I'm surprised these Boxing Day and New Year games have lasted so long. Nothing at stake except maybe some tinpot local trophy, 13 a side with 200 substitutes, coaches keeping their best players for later - we're real muggins, us supporters, aren't we ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,412 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

No,....you are exactly that. Real supporters.

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

A closed-shop franchised league, eh?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#17 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

No,....you are exactly that. Real supporters.

Unfortunately, your real club is treating you as a piggy bank.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#18 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

Apparently we play in a summer league, which we play in the 2 worse months of playing - in January & February. Then the season finishes in September just when the best 2 rugby playing months are.

Winter sundays there is not much to do & rugby was great to get out & watch. While summer Sunday's there is many more things to do.

#19 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

Great days,proper loved them.Hows it going in the amateurs with most changing to summer rugby because my local amateur club as had 3 games cancelled already because thier opponents havn't been able to raise a side?

#20 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

As a slight aside, I'm surprised these Boxing Day and New Year games have lasted so long. Nothing at stake except maybe some tinpot local trophy, 13 a side with 200 substitutes, coaches keeping their best players for later - we're real muggins, us supporters, aren't we ?

Given the popularity of the festive period I would consider kicking the season off on Boxing Day.

And no, its not a hankering to go back to Winter Rugby, but the season would then include every bank holiday in the calender and we'd get to pull the Grand Final forward into September and hopefully increase the odds of our showcase, end of season climax being played in better weather, weather more associated with the Summer tag at least!

But I fully accept in the grand scheme of things its hardly a pressing concern or something constantly asked for by the fans as the solution to our issues, so I'm probably in a minority of one who'd even give the idea the time of day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users