TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

winter league

lets start again

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

Great days,proper loved them.Hows it going in the amateurs with most changing to summer rugby because my local amateur club as had 3 games cancelled already because thier opponents havn't been able to raise a side?

Amateur teams are really struggling. In winter leagues, players played every week, now with summer, players are going off on holiday, going on stag do's or getting married, taking Half the team away one week. Not only is this affecting the club it is giving an unbalanced league table.

This is also not bringing pitches into account. Unlike professional clubs, some/ majority amateur pitches are not watered. We have games called off for rock solid frozen pitches for players safety, but it's ok for teams to play on bone dry pitches.

#22 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

Doubled our playing numbers with move to summer. Been brilliant.
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#23 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

I loved winter rugby when I didn't know any better

Now I can look back and realised it was bloody dire.

#24 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

A real mixed bag of opinions, eh ?

My thoughts are - if you were starting a brand new sport with no traditions or past history to influence you, would you immediately think of playing in winter ?

Errrrrr ..... no. Not for a minute.

Edited by Griff, 15 June 2013 - 09:02 AM.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#25 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

Amateur teams are really struggling. In winter leagues, players played every week, now with summer, players are going off on holiday, going on stag do's or getting married, taking Half the team away one week. Not only is this affecting the club it is giving an unbalanced league table.

Complete and utter lie!
A game would get called off most weeks between December and February for atrocious weather! Imagine how many games would have been called at the beginning of the year. 3 months of snow!

This is also not bringing pitches into account. Unlike professional clubs, some/ majority amateur pitches are not watered. We have games called off for rock solid frozen pitches for players safety, but it's ok for teams to play on bone dry pitches.

Wear shorter studs and tape up your elbows and knees. Easy. You can't do that on a frozen pitch as no stud will take to it. It's slippy and dangerous.
Posted Image

#26 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

Where would the players come from in this hypothetical league?
Posted Image

#27 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

I do think the off-season is too long and there isn't enough RL on, but this concept would never work IMO. It would just be a poor version of what we have in summer.

Perhaps we should make more of a deal of our student game in winter? Or an indoor legends tournament similar to what they do in football.
Posted Image

#28 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

Not all of the amateur game is played in winter. The Hull league, and several others, still play in winter.

rldfsignature.jpg

#29 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

Complete and utter lie!
A game would get called off most weeks between December and February for atrocious weather! Imagine how many games would have been called at the beginning of the year. 3 months of snow!

Wear shorter studs and tape up your elbows and knees. Easy. You can't do that on a frozen pitch as no stud will take to it. It's slippy and dangerous.

Didn't realise we live in the alps with 3 months of snow, what a utter lie that is.
I am on about players availability. Do players miss more games in winter than summer? Do we have more uneven games in summer than winter as more key players are missing. Are more games called off in summer than winter because of players unavailability?
This source is what I got from NC coach & chairmen & the surrounding areas.
But as you say it's all utter lies I say. But if you can answer the above questions I will be delighted to hear your response.

One more thing, if we are suppose to play in the best rugby playing conditions, why do we not play in September & October the best 2 months for rugby?

#30 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

I wonder why they did start playing Rugby (either code) in the winter in the first place?

A real mixed bag of opinions, eh ?

My thoughts are - if you were starting a brand new sport with no traditions or past history to influence you, would you immediately think of playing in winter ?

Errrrrr ..... no. Not for a minute.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#31 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

I have to admit to working outside in all weathers all year round, please tell when we.ve had 3 months of snow in living memory ?

Complete and utter lie!

#32 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

Your right, I was talking to a major (Hull) amateur clubs secretary at the council cup final and they said if it wasn't for their club having so many players they would have had to forfeit  a couple of first team games last season, things aren't as rosey as it's being painted, first team fixtures will get fulfilled but it's the teams and players underneath that will suffer.

Didn't realise we live in the alps with 3 months of snow, what a utter lie that is.
I am on about players availability. Do players miss more games in winter than summer? Do we have more uneven games in summer than winter as more key players are missing. Are more games called off in summer than winter because of players unavailability?
This source is what I got from NC coach & chairmen & the surrounding areas.
But as you say it's all utter lies I say. But if you can answer the above questions I will be delighted to hear your response.

One more thing, if we are suppose to play in the best rugby playing conditions, why do we not play in September & October the best 2 months for rugby?

#33 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,456 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

I wonder why they did start playing Rugby (either code) in the winter in the first place?

Because that's when the terms of Rugby School begin.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#34 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

Its bad enough now with the season starting in February let alone doing any more September to April/May seasons again.

#35 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

To keep cricketers together during the winter. Cricket was the dominant sport at the time. Strange though that may seem.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users