TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Burgess Brothers to become Aussies

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

Looks like the Burgess boys will be applying for Aussie citizenship before too long,but don`t worry,they`ll still be eligible to play for the Old Dart according to what Sam said on the Matty Johns show on Monday night. He said he supports NSW in the Origin series,but can`t play for them under the Origin criteria. 

#2 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

Looks like the Burgess boys will be applying for Aussie citizenship before too long,but don`t worry,they`ll still be eligible to play for the Old Dart according to what Sam said on the Matty Johns show on Monday night. He said he supports NSW in the Origin series,but can`t play for them under the Origin criteria. 

http://www.courierma...6-1226662057361

#3 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,039 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

It's up to Sam and his brother.

He obviously relishes living in Oz and he's got most of his close family with him there.

Playing for NSW - no that would be making a mockery of the system - hang on though - has that already been done?

Swapping playing for Australia rather than England that would be just plain wrong.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#4 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

Dual nationality is fine for tourists but I'm thinking the 'Before your 13th birthday' rules should apply across the board for representative matches.That and the 1st place you played as a serious junior.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#5 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

Yes,before the 13th birthday seems to be the main criteria. But wait a minute,the Aussies are the greatest for changing the rules to suit them,as they`re trying to do to get that Pakistani spinner fast tracked to get his Aussie citizenship so he can play in the Ashes,so who bloody well knows with them?! 

#6 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,039 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

In the Sydney Morning Herald both Sam and George figure in virtually everybody's NRL team of the year (so far).
Who would have though anyone could match Sam Burgess and yet there is somebody else - his own brother in the same team!

#7 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

In the Sydney Morning Herald both Sam and George figure in virtually everybody's NRL team of the year (so far).
Who would have though anyone could match Sam Burgess and yet there is somebody else - his own brother in the same team!

I think George actually features in more of the chosen teams of the year than Sam does if I remember what I read earlier! Thats some going!

Also, read in League Week this week that George was voted the 5th most exciting player in the NRL this year, and came top of another of the categories that I cant remember off the top of my head (think it must be rookie of the year so far). Think on stats he is also about 5th in the NRL on tackle busts.

He really has had an amazing year and if he can cap it off with a world cup appearance then its quite something! If he could cap off the year with an NRL Grand Final win and a World Cup win then he might as well retire as he'll never match that again!   

#8 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,039 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

The magazine I read every week - The Big League - excluded George from their rookie of the year category where readers vote for their choice. The magazine folk wrongly thought that he'd played too many NRL games last season to allow him to qualify for their rookie award this season.

They posted an apology to George in the following week's magazine (Round 14 - this week's copy) when they realised their rules said you could be a rookie if you hadn't played more than three NRL games in the preceding season. As George had only played 3 he should have qualified.

I wonder if we'll see the day when three Burgess brothers turn out for Rabbitohs - or any other club for that matter?

#9 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

The magazine I read every week - The Big League - excluded George from their rookie of the year category where readers vote for their choice. The magazine folk wrongly thought that he'd played too many NRL games last season to allow him to qualify for their rookie award this season.

They posted an apology to George in the following week's magazine (Round 14 - this week's copy) when they realised their rules said you could be a rookie if you hadn't played more than three NRL games in the preceding season. As George had only played 3 he should have qualified.

I wonder if we'll see the day when three Burgess brothers turn out for Rabbitohs - or any other club for that matter?

I think that happened last year didnt it when Luke, Sam and George all played together?

Or did you mean all four?

Well Toms making his debut this weekend, and Luke is now playing for Norths in the feeder league regaining fitness afer his injury, so we might see it this year. Will be quite something!

#10 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,039 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

Yes, that's what I meant   :biggrin:  Doh!

As for becoming aussies, somebody needs to tell George late nights out and getting involved in unlawful behaviour won't get him looked on favourably for citizenship.

#11 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

Yes, that's what I meant   :biggrin:  Doh!

As for becoming aussies, somebody needs to tell George late nights out and getting involved in unlawful behaviour won't get him looked on favourably for citizenship.

Hmm ? Mayhaps he was 'purging his yorkshireness'  :tongue: 

I'll get me coat :focus:

#12 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,039 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

... and there was I thinking he was just proving his aussie credentials :onthequiet:

... I'll follow you to the coat rack :blackeye:

#13 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

I think that happened last year didnt it when Luke, Sam and George all played together?

Or did you mean all four?

Well Toms making his debut this weekend, and Luke is now playing for Norths in the feeder league regaining fitness afer his injury, so we might see it this year. Will be quite something!

No he isn't, George is playing under Tom's name! :laugh:

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#14 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

No he isn't, George is playing under Tom's name! :laugh:

I read that one of the ways to tell the difference is that George has a tattoo on his wrist and Tom doesnt. So if the Burgess on the field has wrist strapping you could be right! Haha!

#15 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,039 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

tumblr_mcblofVcAM1qg8o02o1_500.jpg

George and Tom or Tom and George

#16 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

George and Tom or Tom and George

G&T

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#17 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

Can we bottle these Burgess genes?

#18 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

Can we bottle these Burgess genes?

NO PROBLEM - Here ya go

#19 humpy

humpy
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:13 AM

You cant apply for citizenship until you have lived in Australia for 4 years, Sam would be close but the others are way off.

Edited by humpy, 08 July 2013 - 04:13 AM.

#20 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,039 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

George is in great form.

I'd say he was at least as good as Sam currently.

he was in blockbuster form against NZ Warriors this weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users