Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

London Broncos time to be very afraid

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
180 replies to this topic

#1 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 608 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

Indications are that the Broncos may well exit SL at the end of the season from what Stevo said on Backchat last night. Stevo is very well informed re the London club and he talked of an acceptance that the London public don't want a SL Team and he feared this may be the end. Also talk of a move to the new stadium at Barnet that only holds 5,000 with the suggestion that would be enough for lower tier Pro RL.

#2 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

Does that mean Toulouse would be in?

#3 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 608 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

If Toulouse don't come up with the money to self fund I suspect they may go 13 and lose a team next year.

#4 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

Going to 13 and distributing the £1.3m to the 6 clubs most likely to make the two tens up would allow them to start the changes needed to becoming FT in 2015

#5 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

Indications are that the Broncos may well exit SL at the end of the season from what Stevo said on Backchat last night. Stevo is very well informed re the London club and he talked of an acceptance that the London public don't want a SL Team and he feared this may be the end. Also talk of a move to the new stadium at Barnet that only holds 5,000 with the suggestion that would be enough for lower tier Pro RL.

<desperate mantra>But, but, but Sky insist on Broncos being in SL. They are not interested in an M62 league. Everybody knows that. </desperate mantra>

#6 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

Sadly the vast majority of London Public that Stevo talks about don't even know a RL club exists in London. There in lies one of the problems.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#7 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

How do you know that Stevo is 'very well informed' about the London club?  All it sounded like to me was his usual bluster.  His phrasing suggested speculation is all he was indulging in.  Stevo also spoke on Back Chat about a list of players Dr Koukash had said he wanted for Salford and was his usual mocking self about it.  That list included Gareth Hock.  Dr Koukash has recently emailed Paramatta Eels (confirmed by the club) to say neither he nor the club nor any agent had discussed Gareth Hock coming to Salford instead of the Eels. Yet the way Stevo spoke on Back Chat you'd think that Koukash had declared it from the rooftops.  What has actually happened is that people have speculated on Internet forums and Stevo has taken that gossip as gospel.

Hughes said in public at the last round of licences that he would only guarantee his support of London until the end of this licensing period.  I think it would be more worthwhile awaiting his decision rather than listening to Stevo's garbage.

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

<desperate mantra>But, but, but Sky insist on Broncos being in SL. They are not interested in an M62 league. Everybody knows that. </desperate mantra>

What a tedious excuse for a rugby league fan you are.

But, anyway, I think the Barnet move was discussed here before and the ground really is too small for Super League, even allowing for the Broncos only having a core crowd of about 1,000 these days.  If it really is the best option for the club to play there structure/development-wise then they can't continue as a Super League club.

I presume you're also starting the clock on there being no London club in 5 years time.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#9 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

What a tedious excuse for a rugby league fan you are.

But, anyway, I think the Barnet move was discussed here before and the ground really is too small for Super League, even allowing for the Broncos only having a core crowd of about 1,000 these days.  If it really is the best option for the club to play there structure/development-wise then they can't continue as a Super League club.

I presume you're also starting the clock on there being no London club in 5 years time.

The words you are looking for are "I am sorry for talking bolox about London's importance for so many years".

But no, I think London will be around in 5 or even 10 years' time but they almost certainly won't be at the top table (whatever form that might be).

Edited by Northern Sol, 12 June 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#10 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

Sadly the vast majority of London Public that Stevo talks about don't even know a RL club exists in London. There in lies one of the problems.

All we've learnt over the past 3 decades is that those people in London who know that the Broncos exist won't come out to support a very badly run club. To simply say the London public don't want a SL team is wrong.

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

How do you know that Stevo is 'very well informed' about the London club?  All it sounded like to me was his usual bluster.  His phrasing suggested speculation is all he was indulging in.  Stevo also spoke on Back Chat about a list of players Dr Koukash had said he wanted for Salford and was his usual mocking self about it.  That list included Gareth Hock.  Dr Koukash has recently emailed Paramatta Eels (confirmed by the club) to say neither he nor the club nor any agent had discussed Gareth Hock coming to Salford instead of the Eels. Yet the way Stevo spoke on Back Chat you'd think that Koukash had declared it from the rooftops.  What has actually happened is that people have speculated on Internet forums and Stevo has taken that gossip as gospel.

Hughes said in public at the last round of licences that he would only guarantee his support of London until the end of this licensing period.  I think it would be more worthwhile awaiting his decision rather than listening to Stevo's garbage.

I agree with you that Stevo is not in any place to know the truth. Yet he is a Sky employee and certain forumites / journalists have been banging the "Sky insist on a London club" drum for many years. If this was fact, it is odd that Stevo should be discussing their possible departure from SL even if it is premature.

#12 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,940 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

In recent years the match day marketing of the club has been very poor. A Maurice Saatchi type figure is required to make sure the club is marketed to its full potential.

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

I agree with you that Stevo is not in any place to know the truth. Yet he is a Sky employee and certain forumites / journalists have been banging the "Sky insist on a London club" drum for many years. If this was fact, it is odd that Stevo should be discussing their possible departure from SL even if it is premature.

Is he? Where does he go and what does he do out-of-season? Are you sure he's not freelance or Stevo Ltd?  If he was an actual employee, to what extent do you think this would affect what he says?

#14 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

Is he? Where does he go and what does he do out-of-season? Are you sure he's not freelance or Stevo Ltd?  If he was an actual employee, to what extent do you think this would affect what he says?

Work it out for yourself.

It's not too hard, is it?

When you are at work whether you are freelance or on the payroll, you don't tell customers things which the management are not okay about.

Have you never had a job?

#15 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

I simply cannot see a better alternative than the Broncos playing in whatever division best suits them, drawing on largely local talent, with the RFL making sure there are at least 5 events in London every year. Far more people would watch the Aussie Champions play any northern SL team than would ever watch the Broncos.
Very few people have any affinity for London as a place, and even fewer of the people who have been exposed to RL down here do. But there are enough people who would turn up for a London magic week end, or other games at Wembley. Last time I looked most of the biggest crowds for internationals have been darn sarf, so there is an awareness of the game.
A vibrant London SL team would be a great thing, but that is unlikely to happen any time soon. But there is still plenty of interest in the game in the capital.

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

The words you are looking for are "I am sorry for talking bolox about London's importance for so many years".

But no, I think London will be around in 5 or even 10 years' time but they almost certainly won't be at the top table (whatever form that might be).

I've never said that London were a requirement for Sky.  

I have said, and do still believe, that there will be major implications for the development of players without a local top-level professional side.

- Severus, July 2012

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

All we've learnt over the past 3 decades is that those people in London who know that the Broncos exist won't come out to support a very badly run club. To simply say the London public don't want a SL team is wrong.

The current incarnation of the Broncos have managed (by my reckoning) to halve the 'core' support of the club.  Of the immediate group I used to meet, or nod to, on match days only one still goes and he lives so close to the ground it would almost be harder not to.  And given that this was never a club playing sparkling football or chasing trophies every year it really is impressive to alienate a bunch of people so committed to rugby league.

- Severus, July 2012

#18 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

I've never said that London were a requirement for Sky.  

Then why the butthurt?

#19 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Then why the butthurt?

Because, oddly, I take offence when I see supposed rugby league fans dancing at the demise of other clubs.

- Severus, July 2012

#20 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

personally i think it will be a sad day for the game if broncos did pull out of super league, they have been a beacon for the game in the south of england for around 43 years (in one guise or another)
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users