Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wigan bid for Leigh's Sam Hopkins

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

the amateur scene in leigh and the surrounding are has been producing quality players for years......hopkins is just the latest.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#22 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,126 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

The amateur scene in leigh and the surrounding are has been producing quality players for years......hopkins is just the latest.

That's fair enough. The amateur scene in Hunslet has been doing the same only we get what Leigh get.

Leeds sign 'em......

How are you going to keep your best young Widnes players BTW??

#23 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

signing them to long contracts,
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#24 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,126 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

signing them to long contracts,

That's good. If we are to make headway beyond a 6 club SL we have to try to stop top clubs taking other SL clubs players. Will you get back to the 80's on local player development though?

#25 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

One way is to change the "club trained" quota from 8 players in the 25 man squad to 8 in the game day 17.
That way clubs are compelled to produce their own and not take other less well off clubs better players.

#26 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

One way is to change the "club trained" quota from 8 players in the 25 man squad to 8 in the game day 17.
That way clubs are compelled to produce their own and not take other less well off clubs better players.

This would benefit Wigan and Leeds.  Do these clubs need additional benefits?

I love the idea of club trained players, but I also love the idea of free movement of labour, and appropriate recompense for players.  I could see that this could impact this.

#27 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,839 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

people have the right to work for whoever will employ them.

Why not get DEFRA in on the act if you want to treat people like cattle?

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 13 June 2013 - 04:18 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#28 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,608 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

This would benefit Wigan and Leeds.  Do these clubs need additional benefits?

I love the idea of club trained players, but I also love the idea of free movement of labour, and appropriate recompense for players.  I could see that this could impact this.

But why shouldn't they reap the rewards from years of investment in youth development? 

(I do agree with your point about restriction of free movement though.)

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#29 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

But why shouldn't they reap the rewards from years of investment in youth development? 

They already do.

#30 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

If you have to provide eight players from your own club's youth structure in every match day seventeen then that would stop some poaching of other clubs players. There are SL clubs who struggle to get eight in the 25 and rely on buy ins of other clubs talent.
Clubs should be responsible for their own recruitment and not reply on other providing players for them.

#31 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,126 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

If you have to provide eight players from your own club's youth structure in every match day seventeen then that would stop some poaching of other clubs players. There are SL clubs who struggle to get eight in the 25 and rely on buy ins of other clubs talent.
Clubs should be responsible for their own recruitment and not reply on other providing players for them.

That is a good idea. However on this years numbers Salford and Wakefield would be stuffed. The former would struggle badly under the idea especially, and their rich owner may not want to operate under such a handicap.

#32 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

In addition to a 'home grown' quota there should be some sort of incentive for clubs to bring their youngsters through.

If all 'home grown' players only counted say 75% on the salary cap it suddenly becomes a much more attractive proposition to use your own kids instead of buying in from other clubs - The more you bring through, the more you can spend !

#33 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

I wonder how long the list is of players from outside the keighley area who turned professional with keighley
Well I don't because its huge

And Hopkins would have turned pro with Salford if the deal hadn't fallen through

It didn't fall through he CHOSE his hometown club.

#34 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

jimmy taylor of leigh was a classic example of a player who would have made it in super league, i know for a fact he turned down the chance to join widnes when we were last in the top flight because he wanted to play for his home town club. sadly for RL jimmy never got the rewards his talent deserved but he was happy playing for leigh....

#35 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,839 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

It didn't fall through he CHOSE his hometown club.

So presumably he'll turn Wigan down for the same reason
Keeping it local

#36 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

So presumably he'll turn Wigan down for the same reason

techically wigan are his home town club......leigh is part of wigan borough.

#37 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,839 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

Ah so if players who learn the game in Leigh turn pro with Wigan as hundreds have done over the years that's different
Keeping it local

#38 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,839 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

Ah so if players who learn the game in Leigh turn pro with Wigan as hundreds have done over the years that's different
Keeping it local

#39 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

is there an echo in here??

#40 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,839 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

is there an echo in here??

no

no

I wasn't having a go at you.

I just think that the idea of telling people what club they are allowed to play for unsavoury

Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users