Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wigan bid for Leigh's Sam Hopkins

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 676 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

What a weird debate this has turned into!

It seems prety obvious to me that a player who previously played for a lower league club might get a chance to step up if he's good enough!  

You would think the discussion would be around whether he has the potential to play at SL level.  Anyone got any idea?  I've never seen him play.

Mike

#42 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

What a weird debate this has turned into!

It seems prety obvious to me that a player who previously played for a lower league club might get a chance to step up if he's good enough!  

You would think the discussion would be around whether he has the potential to play at SL level.  Anyone got any idea?  I've never seen him play.

Mike

Will make a great modern day 13, who can move to prop during a game. He will put on a stone or so and will be all the better for FT conditioning. Good feet and hands, with decent pace and acceleration. I expect him to make an impact next year.

• amh likes this

#43 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

Has every chance of doing a Chris Hill, but probably more realistically an extra 12 months - see above

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#44 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:58 AM

What a weird debate this has turned into! It seems prety obvious to me that a player who previously played for a lower league club might get a chance to step up if he's good enough! You would think the discussion would be around whether he has the potential to play at SL level.

Not a lot to discuss Mike. If the Wigan scouts have spotted him and the coaches want him for Wigan, clearly expert opinion leaves us with the answer and nothing to discuss.

However there is the knock on issue of small clubs who want to be in Superleague facing the problem that as Superleague is about finding and developing fully professional players, then if a local SL club keeps picking their best off then they will never qualify to be an SL club on that criteria.

If their fans are disgruntled they may not bother to watch any more. If the best Leigh players go down the road, then any new fans for the game may follow them down there. What Superleague takes Championship clubs lose. Then the championship club is left being dependant on the SL club.

Which is what's happening so that's how we got to building Berlin walls around Leigh and proposing a checkpoint charlie on the road out to Wigan.

Edited by The Parksider, 15 June 2013 - 07:49 AM.

#45 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,447 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

Parky. That's the way it has always been, not just in rugby league, but all sports. Not great for the lower league clubs i admit, but difficult to stop unless something like the American football draft system is adopted. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#46 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

Parky. That's the way it has always been, not just in rugby league, but all sports. Not great for the lower league clubs i admit, but difficult to stop unless something like the American football draft system is adopted.

I agree with you in a way, but I watched the game through the period that so many on here hanker back to.I used to watch Leeds and Hunslet and Leeds a rich club would take Hunslets best players whether Bill Ramsey, Dave Heron, or Jimmy Lowes. But they didn't take Featherstone's best - and they were not a rich club.

I think wages were generally low and loyalties strong, and travelling difficult in those days.
Today it's far more systematic.

Zac Hardaker turns out to be a good one and leeds are straight in and Zac won't have given it a thought as he wants to be a pro. So it has always been that way in a way, but to me the way it is now is more clinical and more ruinous the the chance of championship clubs ever being SL clubs. In the old days my club Hunslet could lose Jimmy Lowes but still manage to find a team to get into Division one and win a few games because it was semi professional. Today we could not manage to find a team to play professionally.

Our situation was Jimmy's gone, we'll find another semi pro hooker, easy. Leigh's situation is they only turn up a professional quality player once every couple of years or so, and they leave for Warrington and Wigan and thus Leigh can't get a professional team. Further to that we know that just getting in SL is not going to see you keep your best either.

Edited by The Parksider, 15 June 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#47 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

Parky - you are correct and that is why I have been asking for two tens in SL for nearly 10 years. SL2 allows a smaller club to have ambition and grow its own in a FT environment. IMO Leigh can produce far more players but we must be FT to do so, I think the same applies to Fev and Fax as well. Then you never know you get a fair wind and a bright sky, white knight, and you have a few years in the top tier built on solid foundations

#48 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

Parky - you are correct and that is why I have been asking for two tens in SL for nearly 10 years. SL2 allows a smaller club to have ambition and grow its own in a FT environment. IMO Leigh can produce far more players but we must be FT to do so, I think the same applies to Fev and Fax as well. Then you never know you get a fair wind and a bright sky, white knight, and you have a few years in the top tier built on solid foundations

Mate - I only wish all the clubs and fans all the best. Big problems for our game, and i hope you get the fair wind and bright sky for when the white knight rides in.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users