TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Rangi Chase hurt by 'discrimination' over England call up

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

http://www.thesun.co...gland-call.html

Would that not make the whole of international sport discrimatory? imo I wouldn't play him for England because. 

1. They're are better players available.

2. He's not English

#2 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

Moderating note:  1 post deleted.  There is no excuse for insulting a player's family, even in jest.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#3 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

The fact is that there are better English qualified half backs that should have been chosen ahead of him.

The fact that he's not English is therefore irrelevant, although I do understand the sentiment.

#4 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,747 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

1. Does he meet the qualification criteria?

2. Ha he been judges good enough to play by those who have the authority,  power and qualifications to make such decisions?

#5 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

how can he play for england when he cant even change club sides because of visa rules ????

#6 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

how can he play for england when he cant even change club sides because of visa rules ????

This, he can't even get a Visa to switch jobs i this country and gain permanent employment. 

Whatever rule there is which made him eligible for England is a sham.

#7 7723

• Coach
  • 768 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

I don't remember people complaining this much when Maurie Fa'asavalu played for Britain. Chase has an English wife and child, considers England his home and wants to play for England. If he is good enough I see no problem.

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Well, I for one wish him all the best and I hope he gets his hands on that World Cup at the end of the year and goes down in history for England RL.

#9 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

He qualifies for England under the rules, debate the rules if you want but it's not his fault. This is modern sport like it or lump it.

He is also a very good dynamic player that can produce things not many players can, he's also chosen to play for the country that has treat him well and given him opportunities in the game he plays. Good luck to the lad.

#10 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

I don't remember people complaining this much when Maurie Fa'asavalu played for Britain. Chase has an English wife and child, considers England his home and wants to play for England. If he is good enough I see no problem.

They did you know

I was watching him play and had to ask some stewards to step in thanks to the frankly racist comments from some so called fans at one game and the same arguments against Chase playing were levelled then too

Personally I have utterly no problem with him qualifying for England, thems the rules all international sides play to so if he can do the job why not.

#11 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

Because working Visas have a different set of criteria to national sport qualification.

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

I've probably complained as much for Chase as I did for Fa'asavalu, not a lot and certainly not ranting. And to me these are slightly separate in that Chase changed, while in my view with Fa'asavalu it was "what's wrong with representing Samoa?".

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

I might have to severely bite my lip if the Burgii play for Australia after they get residency. <_<

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

thats never gonna happen

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#15 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

The joke is that you only have to play 3 seasons in one country to then claim to be a national of that country. I have family working in different parts of the world. Yes they enjoy working there & their life but after only 3 years, it isn't that long. They are still very much English as when they left, even thought they respect & live as part of that country's way of life.
Living for 10% of your life in a country is not long at all.
The residency rule should be 10 years or at least to make it respectable a third of your life.
If he was really English, he would of never played for the exiles, I would of thought he would of found it very strange to play against the country you class yourself as, love & to live in for your rest of your life as you very much would not be a exile.

#16 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

The joke is that you only have to play 3 seasons in one country to then claim to be a national of that country. I have family working in different parts of the world. Yes they enjoy working there & their life but after only 3 years, it isn't that long. They are still very much English as when they left, even thought they respect & live as part of that country's way of life.
Living for 10% of your life in a country is not long at all.
The residency rule should be 10 years or at least to make it respectable a third of your life.
If he was really English, he would of never played for the exiles, I would of thought he would of found it very strange to play against the country you class yourself as, love & to live in for your rest of your life as you very much would not be a exile.

Ten years would just about prevent any senior player moving abroad and playing for that country.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#17 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

It would of worked for Robbie Paul,
3 years is just too short, and in that 3 years the player could only be living here in total of 2 years, while going back to his homeland in the off season

#18 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Should the same apply to Englishmen such as Lee Briers, Kieron Cunningham, Danny Brough, Iestyn Harris etc?

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#19 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

For the established nations yes. For the developing one that's a different, if you wish to improve the standard for them.

If England are picking an Englishman in Chase, then they are picking an Australian in Sam Burgess. If the same logic is applied

#20 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,650 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:11 PM

Chase qualifies
The sole criterion for his selection should be based on his ability to play to the required standard not how 'English' he is
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users