Rangi Chase hurt by 'discrimination' over England call up

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#41 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

Is this the same one season wonder that is currently leading the Superleague standings for try assists and offloads and is in the top eight for a further six key stats?
He at least WANTS to play for England, unlike some who were actually born in this country.

Well it does best suit him at the moment.

If an English coach messes him around and he gets the nod for New Zealand, will he say "no, I'm English."?

We don't know the answer to that, but IMO he would be wearing black with a white V if he had the chance.
Posted Image

#42 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,767 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:17 AM

Chase qualifies
The sole criterion for his selection should be based on his ability to play to the required standard not how 'English' he is

And what if the criteria for qualification are a load of rubbish? Do we not comment simply because someone qualifies under any prescribed criteria?
Of course it matters how English he (or anyone else) is, otherwise whats the point of internationals?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#43 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:08 AM

If he hadn't broken that blokes jaw he could have applied for citizenship this year after 5 years living and working in this country, and that would be more than enough for me.

As it stands, he's not British, he's a New Zealander and if he wants to play international RL he should quit his whinging and get on the phone to Stephen Kearney.

That's me.  I'm done.

#44 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:11 AM

We don't know the answer to that, but IMO he would be wearing black with a white V if he had the chance.

Given that he has married an English girl, had kids here, and lived here for nearly five years now I don't personally doubt his desire to play for England.

But he's still shouldn't be allowed to because he's a Kiwi.

That's me.  I'm done.

#45 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:11 AM

Maybe by whingeing he's trying to prove that he is the very essence of English/UK RL.

If he whinges hard enough and long enough, he might qualify for Australia.

That's me.  I'm done.

#46 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

The thread ended earlier guys, KT said so.....

#47 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

Interesting reading the article in the OP with the long list of overseas born sportsmen who've represented this country in different sports. The difference with most of them and Rangi Chase, and where my biggest problem with him playing for England lies, is the fact that he has actually played for New Zealand teams in the past. He played twice for the NZ Maoris and he was picked in the NZ 2008 WC train on squad. He's even played against England on two occasions - once for the Maoris and once for the Exiles. I've always had the impression that the only reason he switched to playing for England was because he had no chance of getting in the Kiwi team.

Edited by thirteenthman, 13 June 2013 - 07:39 AM.

#48 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

Chase qualifies
The sole criterion for his selection should be based on his ability to play to the required standard not how 'English' he is

Is the right answer.

The qualification rules are a joke, but that is irrelevant to the Chase case. They are just as much a joke for the Australians and in other sports (the British, Irish, American, New Zealand, South African, Samoan and Tongan Lions, anybody?).

As it stands, Chase qualifies to play for England and should play for England providing the coach thinks he's good enough.
People called Romans they go the house

#49 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,606 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

Yes but not quite. When you represent England at RL or any other sport you are t really representing the country but the governing body of a sport that operates within said country.

Yes
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#50 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

The thread ended earlier guys, KT said so.....

Not at all - I was merely using the same tactic as the attention seeking bedlam breakout

I was deliberately keeping out of the conversation but "one season wonder" hit a nerve!
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#51 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

Interesting reading the article in the OP with the long list of overseas born sportsmen who've represented this country in different sports.

All of the "overseas" sportsmen in that article have got plausible reasons why they might be British citizens.  Either through family descent, or residency.  

Except one.

That's me.  I'm done.

#52 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

richie myler, johnny lomax, joe mellor and danny brough..................4 good reasons why chase shouldn't play for england.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#53 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,759 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

A lot of bitterness towards a player who moves here, settles in, has a family here and fully intends to make England his permanent home.  If he wants to represent England, and it means that much to him that he gets upset over it, then he's far more welcome to an England shirt than those who grudge wearing it.  I don't think his shirt would end up on Ebay if he won one.

I think the international qualification rules are a bit suspect, same as for many other sports, but he meets them and is fully qualified to play if selected.  If he turned out in an England shirt then he'd get the same respect from me as anyone else who accepts the privilege of being awarded one.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#54 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

A lot of bitterness towards a player who moves here, settles in, has a family here and fully intends to make England his permanent home.  If he wants to represent England, and it means that much to him that he gets upset over it, then he's far more welcome to an England shirt than those who grudge wearing it.  I don't think his shirt would end up on Ebay if he won one.

I think the international qualification rules are a bit suspect, same as for many other sports, but he meets them and is fully qualified to play if selected.  If he turned out in an England shirt then he'd get the same respect from me as anyone else who accepts the privilege of being awarded one.

I think it's a multi layered issue.

- He's played rep football elsewhere

- He's a convicted violent criminal, and can't has visa/citizenship issues as a result

- He's acted violently, petulantly and cowardly on the field on more than one occasion

- He's got a reputation as a naughty boy around town

- He's tried to get away from the club he loves a number of times, Hull FC, St George and probably others

- He's been suspended by his own club for his behaviour

- He's not as good as the other options

Essentially he's generally not considered to be a nice chap, which is subjective and irrelevant to international selection, but added to the above it's easy to see why he's not a universally popular choice.

#55 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

richie myler, johnny lomax, joe mellor and danny brough..................4 good reasons why chase shouldn't play for england.

Danny Brough is Scottish. Joe Mellor is currently at England Knights level in my opinion.

Posted Image

#56 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

and can't wait to sign for st george????
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#57 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Danny Brough is Scottish. Joe Mellor is currently at England Knights level in my opinion.
[/quote

and stefan ratchford as well???

#58 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

and stefan ratchford as well???

Stefan Ratchford would be in my World Cup squad yes.

Posted Image

#59 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

A lot of bitterness towards a player who moves here, settles in, has a family here and fully intends to make England his permanent home. 

Even though he has said himself he was going to sign for St George but salary cap issues prevented the move from going through.

I've no problem with Rangi himself, but I do have a problem with a system that allows someone who has been picked in New Zealand sides in the past to be selected for England.

#60 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

i wouldn't be too sure with mcbanana in charge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users