97 replies to this topic

#61 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

I think it's a multi layered issue.

- He's played rep football elsewhere

- He's a convicted violent criminal, and can't has visa/citizenship issues as a result

- He's acted violently, petulantly and cowardly on the field on more than one occasion

- He's got a reputation as a naughty boy around town

- He's tried to get away from the club he loves a number of times, Hull FC, St George and probably others

- He's been suspended by his own club for his behaviour

- He's not as good as the other options

Essentially he's generally not considered to be a nice chap, which is subjective and irrelevant to international selection, but added to the above it's easy to see why he's not a universally popular choice.

I do accept every single one of your bullets as accurate but it does show commitment that he wants the England jersey.  It's not exactly a well paid or thankful role to want.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#62 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

i wouldn't be too sure with mcbanana in charge.

Hilarious.

Posted Image

#63 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

Chase qualifies
The sole criterion for his selection should be based on his ability to play to the required standard not how 'English' he is

What sad and silly times we live in when the last thing that qualifies a player to put on an England shirt is that he's actually English.

#64 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

Danny Brough is Scottish. Joe Mellor is currently at England Knights level in my opinion.

Being eligible under the rules to play for Scotland - and so become a Scotland international - doesn't necessarily make one Scottish.

Especially when, in this instance, Brough was specifically invited into the England squad by McNamara after having already represented Scotland.

I agree with you re Joe Mellor.

#65 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

What happens next if the the RFL decide living in a country for 3 years is too long to qualify & reduce it to one year. Or even better a month or a day.
Will everyone still be saying he qualifies so he should play?

#66 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

i wouldn't be too sure with mcbanana in charge.

Clever, I see what you've done ther, mixing a fruit in with a surname, hilarious, no really ...

As for people saying Chase shouldn't be picked because he's played for NZ Maoris, well surely those same people can't want Brough in the Englad set up as he's played for another nation, in a WC aswell.

#67 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

Enlighten me please? I've lived in England all my life and still don't know what that is!

You are obviously not English enough. We need a Babbeesyedchipsanpeas party to defend the true value of Enlgishness.

How about instead of the exiles we have a Babbeesyedchipsanpeas XIII vs a Steak pudding chips and peas XIII

Selection is simple send them into a Chippy and listen to how they order.

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 13 June 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#68 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

As for people saying Chase shouldn't be picked because he's played for NZ Maoris, well surely those same people can't want Brough in the Englad set up as he's played for another nation, in a WC aswell.

Yes, that's exactly what I want, and I still wouldn't pick Sinfield either.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#69 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,095 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

You are obviously not English enough. We need a Babbeesyedchipsanpeas party to defend the true value of Enlgishness.

How about instead of the exiles we have a Babbeesyedchipsanpeas XIII vs a Steak pudding chips and peas XIII

Selection is simple send them into a Chippy and listen to how they order.

Barms vs Teacakes.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#70 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

Chase has a point :-

He's eligble to play for England though he's not English . I'm not even that bothered if he's nice or a bad boy if he is the best option for a position in the squad .

He aptly points out Cricket - Athletic's & Rugby Union amongst other sports  that would flounder if they didn't 'exploit ' this option  

The Kangeroo's are not shy naturalising  Pacific islanders.  

Elligibilty isn't based on Birth or the forthcomming RLWC would consist of 6 teams at best... .

the discrimination is he the best option on Form? , Is he the best option in the mix of the squad that will be playing with him?  

everything else is incidental

#71 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,879 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

When Chase was first announced for England there were comments but didnt appear any real anger. I think most people saw it happening in other sports as the article highlights.

The main issue for Chase was the difficult season he had last year. After his horror tackle and drop off in form the anger seemed to build up against him. I know think there is an unnecessary level of hatred for the bloke. From what I have seen his form has been good and he has many flashes of skill. You could argue he is our Benji Marshall

I suspect in other sports they would celebrate him, in RL we look for reasons to crucify him.

I'd love to see Chase play in a top team, even my team and see what he can do with class players round him, no disrespect to Cas.

#72 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

When Chase was first announced for England there were comments but didnt appear any real anger. I think most people saw it happening in other sports as the article highlights.

The main issue for Chase was the difficult season he had last year. After his horror tackle and drop off in form the anger seemed to build up against him. I know think there is an unnecessary level of hatred for the bloke. From what I have seen his form has been good and he has many flashes of skill. You could argue he is our Benji Marshall

I suspect in other sports they would celebrate him, in RL we look for reasons to crucify him.

I'd love to see Chase play in a top team, even my team and see what he can do with class players round him, no disrespect to Cas.

On current form he's far better this Benji Marshall who has been nothing short of dreadful for the past year.

#73 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

Chase has a point :-

He's eligble to play for England though he's not English . I'm not even that bothered if he's nice or a bad boy if he is the best option for a position in the squad .

He aptly points out Cricket - Athletic's & Rugby Union amongst other sports  that would flounder if they didn't 'exploit ' this option  

The Kangeroo's are not shy naturalising  Pacific islanders.  

Elligibilty isn't based on Birth or the forthcomming RLWC would consist of 6 teams at best... .

the discrimination is he the best option on Form? , Is he the best option in the mix of the squad that will be playing with him?  

everything else is incidental

Which Islanders have moved to Australia as Adults and been Naturlised?
Are you counting emigrants that were 2, 8, 13 and 15 year old's that moved to Australia for a better life and took up League at school and went on to be an Aussie Schoolboy's (like Benji Marshall  amongst many others) many or most choosing the country of their origin rather their country they call home?
Drawing a long Bow there in your comparison mate, Chase was a failed player at West Tigers and St George that moved to England aged 23 and qualified for England on residency laws

Edited by AndyCapp, 13 June 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#74 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

On current form he's far better this Benji Marshall who has been nothing short of dreadful for the past year.

Chase is not consistently a first grade player.
He was moved on from the NRL and found a home with a bottom end SL Club and that is a first choice Half for the England squad?

Sounds like a plan to win the WC...

#75 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,088 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Chase is not consistently a first grade player.
He was moved on from the NRL and found a home with a bottom end SL Club and that is a first choice Half for the England squad?
Sounds like a plan to win the WC...

George Burgess wasnt even guaranteed a starting spot at Bradford, yet walks into South's first team.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#76 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

How do these rules devalue to every other form of international competition as we?

or is it just RL that is especially devalued by them?

Right across sport. I like the idea of putting the best England can offer against the best another nation can offer and let the best team win. Hired help from other countries because of political loopholes isn't something I can support.

I understand that things have changed for Rangi Chase, that he has an English wife and child, that he is settled here (despite the St George and visa rumours) but he is still a New Zealander who has represented the Maori's and the Exiles against England.

#77 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

George Burgess wasnt even guaranteed a starting spot at Bradford, yet walks into South's first team.

No he didn't

The fact he is playing well in the NRL now says more about the NRL than Bradford or SL doesn't it?
Sam Burgess is playing better than he did for Bradford too, what are you saying again?

#78 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

Isaac John, first pick for Penrith, rightly jettisoned by Trinity.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#79 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

Isaac John, first pick for Penrith, rightly jettisoned by Trinity.

Played three games for Penrith.

Is he going to play for Oz or NZ anytime soon?

Edited by AndyCapp, 13 June 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#80 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,088 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

No he didn't

The fact he is playing well in the NRL now says more about the NRL than Bradford or SL doesn't it?
Sam Burgess is playing better than he did for Bradford too, what are you saying again?

Then there's Alfie Langer; surplus to requirements at Warrington, goes on to play Origin. Good game this cherry picking.
Chase was obviously poorly coached in Australia and didn't blossom until he got to England

Edited by Johnoco, 13 June 2013 - 02:21 PM.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users