I think it's a multi layered issue.
- He's played rep football elsewhere
- He's a convicted violent criminal, and can't has visa/citizenship issues as a result
- He's acted violently, petulantly and cowardly on the field on more than one occasion
- He's got a reputation as a naughty boy around town
- He's tried to get away from the club he loves a number of times, Hull FC, St George and probably others
- He's been suspended by his own club for his behaviour
- He's not as good as the other options
Essentially he's generally not considered to be a nice chap, which is subjective and irrelevant to international selection, but added to the above it's easy to see why he's not a universally popular choice.
I do accept every single one of your bullets as accurate but it does show commitment that he wants the England jersey. It's not exactly a well paid or thankful role to want.