Photo
- - - - -

Why can't we be patient and persevere with France/Wales test instead of looking for the quick fix?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

Yes, England has overwhelmingly beaten France and Wales but I get more excited by proper test matches against actual test teams than I do a fabricated Exiles concept. 

When State of Origin was born NSW was clearly the more dominant of the two states but time changed that as did having patience. France and Wales are improving year by year, and players like Remi Casty, Morgan Escare, Kevin Larroyer are being produced and the gap is closing. Lets get Toulouse in and continue to close the gaps between these nations instead of looking for the quick fix.

In the long term the sport will reap the benefits.

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,044 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

here here

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

Rugby League is rife with short-term thinking and quick fixes in the UK. It deserves far better...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#4 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

It'll come. There's mileage yet in the Exiles concept and the French & Welsh will get stronger year by year. But we're hoping that England are getting better and better each year, which means that France & Wales need to improve at an even faster rate, simply to stop the gap getting bigger.

#5 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

I think the Exiles concept will never be anything more than a good warm up for England. That in itself isn't a bad thing. It serves a purpose.

Personally I think it would be better suited to our pre-tournament warmup game after the Grand Final to test combinations against a better quality outfit.

I'm not sure what would be a good mid-season representative event to be honest. They all have flaws. Roses does. Exiles does. Games against other European nations do (uncompetitive). I think other than a bonafide international games against the Aussies or Kiwis there'll always be an issue.

Best bet maybe to have a one-off game against the Kiwis mid-season during Origin time. Or possibly two-part home and away. The Aussies won't have time after an ANZAC test and 3-game Origin Series.
Posted Image

#6 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,044 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:07 AM

england v the celtic tigers (made up from the welsh,scots & irish national teams).....is the future

OLDHAM RLFC

#7 jim_57

jim_57
  • Coach
  • 472 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:00 AM

england v the celtic tigers (made up from the welsh,scots & irish national teams).....is the future

Not too bad an idea, potential team anyone?

I personally would prefer to keep the exiles for a while but add France and make it a tri-series. France could really become a competitive force in the not too distant future. Toulouse in SL is the obvious start, hopefully more English & NRL clubs start picking up more Frenchies aswell. I'd like to see in 5 years the French national team have an even amount of players from Catalan, Toulouse & players playing abroad.

I would go with tiered P&R mid-season comps throughout Europe annually. Something like:

Tier 1 - England, Exiles, France
Tier 2 - Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Italy
Tier 3 - Russia, Germany, Serbia, Ukraine
And so on..

At the end of each series the team that finishes bottom of the group plays the team that finishes top of the group below to determine next years structure.

#8 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:21 AM

You're determined to get this one across aren't you!

Why Tigers?
Posted Image

#9 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

Yes, England has overwhelmingly beaten France and Wales but I get more excited by proper test matches against actual test teams than I do a fabricated Exiles concept. 

When State of Origin was born NSW was clearly the more dominant of the two states but time changed that as did having patience. France and Wales are improving year by year, and players like Remi Casty, Morgan Escare, Kevin Larroyer are being produced and the gap is closing. Lets get Toulouse in and continue to close the gaps between these nations instead of looking for the quick fix.

I wouldn't disagree with your argument about the sport developing just the slightest bit of patience, but the comparison with State of Origin is a bit misleading. From when Origin was introduced in 1980, NSW didn't win a series until 1985. It was the way state matches were set up pre 1980 that led to the imbalance in NSW's favour and led to SOO being introduced.

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,160 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

Why Tigers?

Because roughyedspud will never change his spots.

Oh hang on...

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,160 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:56 AM

Two questions;

i) how do Casty, Escaré and Larroyer and a team from Toulouse help Wales?

ii) why can't we be patient and persevere with Exiles?

I agree with you though, but I think there is room for both branches, and in time perhaps the French and Welsh could play the Exiles. But I also think a game or two between England's best has a place; Origin, Yorks/Lancs, East/West, North/South, Face/Off, whatever is the bestestest concept.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#12 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,044 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

Why Tigers?

:lol:

because i think it fits and its a brand they can develop..

we have lions,kangaroos,kiwis,bears(russia),wolverines(canada,rhinos(south africa)........no tigers though

Edited by roughyedspud, 13 June 2013 - 07:21 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#13 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!

#14 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:08 AM

Why aren't France playing Wales this weekend also as a wc warmup?

#15 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

This has been my point for a while. How can we moan about our International game (particularly in comparison with RU)and try to have our game taken seriously in the media when we don't take our game seriously ourselves? If we tonk say Ireland 64-0 so be it. It won't be all the time and it shows Ireland where abouts they are at at that time. Something to build to, put structures in place. Gives potential Ireland stars of the futuresomthing to aim for rather than the odd game each year. RU never slates their sport if Engalnd beat Uruguay 100-0. They praise them.

If we want more competitive games for England persevere with the Four Nations unless that's been scrapped now.....................

The problem of England being competitive at the highest level will never be sorted until we sort out the overseas quota.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#16 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

Why aren't France playing Wales this weekend also as a wc warmup?

thats the one, the WRL/FFR 13 could get off their arses and organise their own games instead of relying on the RFL to do it

#17 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

I quite like the idea of the Celtic match in addition to the Exiles game. Next year I'd like to see one match against the Exiles and another against the Celtic Rebels. Can you imagine players like Brough wanting to prove a point against England. I suppose Pat Richards would play in both matches :/. The celtic game(s) also provides extra incentive for players from the home nation sides.

It would be great to eventually make it into a tri-nations with a view of adding France into the mix, maybe once Toulouse has been added to the SL and when the nation is considered ready.

#18 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,044 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

the thing with a england v celtic tigers game/series is it gives us legitimate scope to bring back GB one day

england v wales,scotland & ireland (celtic tigers) with possible GB selection at stake IS the nearest thing we can develop to emulate state of origin...

OLDHAM RLFC

#19 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

the thing with a england v celtic tigers game/series is it gives us legitimate scope to bring back GB one day

england v wales,scotland & ireland (celtic tigers) with possible GB selection at stake IS the nearest thing we can develop to emulate state of origin...

I agree. It's the perfect stepping stone to GB selection. It also keeps home nation international players in regular meaningful matches and provides extra incentives for them (i.e. at the moment none of the home nations are playing until the WC).

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,160 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

Next year I'd like to see one match against the Exiles and another against the Celtic Rebels.

Heh! Don't upset spud.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users