Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Over 40 Players Have Been Registered This Season - Sound Familiar?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Netherton Ram

Netherton Ram
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

I was reading yesterday that Glenn has registered over 40 players that have been eligible to play for us this season. Is this just a coincidence or is it the same 'management' style as we have seen over the last couple of seasons?

I know we have had injuries, but we have had the cover already in the ranks. If the players aren't good enough to come into the team, why sign them in the first place? This shows lack of experience through expecting the under 20s players to come and do a decent job for us. Granted, some of them have, and Lillycrop is probably the best example of this. But, we were too reliant on signing these players in the off season.

Players that must have been expecting to be in the team week in and week out aren't playing at all. What is happening with Craven and Coleman? Players can't be expected to gel into a team if they aren't playing. Craven will leave next season and he should be one of our best players.

Frustrated this season as usual, but should I be surprised?
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

#2 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

How many have actually played?

And is that as many as other clubs?

#3 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

1. MAKALI AIKUE

2. JARMAINE AKAIDERE

3. CALLAN BECKETT

4. KANE BENTLEY (Yet to make his debut)

5. AARON BROWN

6. AUSTIN BUCHANAN

7. JY-MEL COLEMAN

8. ELLIOT COSGROVE

9.  JAMES CRAVEN

10. DARIO ESPOSITO

11.  VINNY FINIGAN

12.  TOMMY GALLAGHER

13.  BOBBY GOULDING

14.  SCOTT HALE

15.  RYAN HEPWORTH

16.  KEIRAN HYDE

17.  BEN JOHNSTON

18.  BEN JONES

19.  TOM LILLYCROP

20.  JON MOLLOY

21.  DALE MORTON

22.  JOBE MURPHY

23.  STEVEN NASH

24.  ADAM O’BRIEN

25.  MICHAEL PLATT

26.  KARL PRYCE

27.  JONATHAN SCHOFIELD

28.  GREG SCOTT

29.  SCOTT SPAVEN

30.  ROB SPICER

31.  RUSS SPIERS

32. SCOTT SPAVEN

33. MATTHEW TEBB

34. JOSH TONKS

35. LUCAS WALSHAW

36. BRAD WATKINSON

37. ELLIOT WHITEHEAD (Yet to make his debut)

Edited by Eddie_Rombo, 12 June 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#4 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

From the top of my head Batley had 25 registered players at the start of the season. Since then, 3 have moved onto other clubs or retired.

We have used 5 DR players at various points of the season so far.

#5 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

1. MAKALI AIKUE

2. JARMAINE AKAIDERE

3. CALLAN BECKETT

5. AARON BROWN

6. AUSTIN BUCHANAN

Tom Olbison ?

7. JY-MEL COLEMAN

8. ELLIOT COSGROVE

9.  JAMES CRAVEN

10. DARIO ESPOSITO

11.  VINNY FINIGAN

12.  TOMMY GALLAGHER

13.  BOBBY GOULDING

14.  SCOTT HALE

15.  RYAN HEPWORTH

16.  KEIRAN HYDE

17.  BEN JOHNSTON

18.  BEN JONES

19.  TOM LILLYCROP

20.  JON MOLLOY

21.  DALE MORTON

22.  JOBE MURPHY

23.  STEVEN NASH

24.  ADAM O’BRIEN

25.  MICHAEL PLATT

26.  KARL PRYCE

27.  JONATHAN SCHOFIELD

28.  GREG SCOTT

29.  SCOTT SPAVEN

30.  ROB SPICER

31.  RUSS SPIERS

32. SCOTT SPAVEN

33. MATTHEW TEBB

34. JOSH TONKS

35. LUCAS WALSHAW

36. BRAD WATKINSON

#6 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

Tom Olbison ?

I forgot about him.

James Donaldson also

Edited by Eddie_Rombo, 12 June 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#7 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

Dario esposito asnt actualy played either.. Just 20mins in a friendly match

#8 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:17 PM

Another point is glen took charge of the rams when most the better players were already contracted to clubs and wed aleady lost 3 or 4 of our team so was automatically behind in the recruitment department. He's a new coach, its his team hes developing which we need to give time, atleest another season. Rome wasn't built in a day as they say.. were out of the rut now and look capable of finishing 6th despite a mass of injuries. Imsure this time next season we won't have used as many and will hopefully start to see a more settled squad built around players like morton pryce lillycrop macka wrighty browny watkinson hale goulding hyde nash spicer ect ect. Some players however I doubt glen will keep next year, coleman schofield tebb akky and sadly craven! But it is his team and if results come and peformaces then who are we to question him. Iv certainly more faith the last 4 or 5 weeks then I did before and ask yourself this, would any of tebb schofield akki or coleman get in a top 5 team in this league? I doubt it! Hope craven stays though as he's a class act on form and glen aint seen the best of him yet!!

#9 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

Another point is glen took charge of the rams when most the better players were already contracted to clubs and wed aleady lost 3 or 4 of our team so was automatically behind in the recruitment department. He's a new coach, its his team hes developing which we need to give time, atleest another season. Rome wasn't built in a day as they say.. were out of the rut now and look capable of finishing 6th despite a mass of injuries. Imsure this time next season we won't have used as many and will hopefully start to see a more settled squad built around players like morton pryce lillycrop macka wrighty browny watkinson hale goulding hyde nash spicer ect ect. Some players however I doubt glen will keep next year, coleman schofield tebb akky and sadly craven! But it is his team and if results come and peformaces then who are we to question him. Iv certainly more faith the last 4 or 5 weeks then I did before and ask yourself this, would any of tebb schofield akki or coleman get in a top 5 team in this league? I doubt it! Hope craven stays though as he's a class act on form and glen aint seen the best of him yet!!

Would any of those you have mentioned - apart from Lillycrop ? Doubt it. Sorry, but Hales (unrated by swinton last year) and Watkinson wouldn't be guaranteed a place in a top ch1 side.

#10 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

Would any of those you have mentioned - apart from Lillycrop ? Doubt it. Sorry, but Hales (unrated by swinton last year) and Watkinson wouldn't be guaranteed a place in a top ch1 side.

How many games has Watkinson played? Give the lad a chance!

#11 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

1. MAKALI AIKUE
2. JARMAINE AKAIDERE
3. CALLAN BECKETT
5. AARON BROWN
6. AUSTIN BUCHANAN
7. JY-MEL COLEMAN
8. ELLIOT COSGROVE
9.  JAMES CRAVEN
10. DARIO ESPOSITO
11.  VINNY FINIGAN
12.  TOMMY GALLAGHER
13.  BOBBY GOULDING
14.  SCOTT HALE
15.  RYAN HEPWORTH
16.  KEIRAN HYDE
17.  BEN JOHNSTON
18.  BEN JONES
19.  TOM LILLYCROP
20.  JON MOLLOY
21.  DALE MORTON
22.  JOBE MURPHY
23.  STEVEN NASH
24.  ADAM O’BRIEN
25.  MICHAEL PLATT
26.  KARL PRYCE
27.  JONATHAN SCHOFIELD
28.  GREG SCOTT
29.  SCOTT SPAVEN
30.  ROB SPICER
31.  RUSS SPIERS
32. SCOTT SPAVEN
33. MATTHEW TEBB
34. JOSH TONKS
35. LUCAS WALSHAW
36. BRAD WATKINSON

even allowing for injuries this is clearly a ridiculous number and the figure from Batley indicates the importance of a settled side. That said I think much of the player merry-go-round started after the loss at Barrow when Glen and many of us suddenly started to panic and we started to think that we would never score in the second half. If it doesn't settle down now that things are looking better then I believe it will be a big problem. We need 25 players max. We also need the best players on the pitch...(Craven......)

#12 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,476 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

I forgot about him.

James Donaldson also

And Scott Spaven was never good enough to be registered twice!

;)

What could be reasonably asked is how many of these players are presently available for selection. I believe that this would give a much more accurate measure of where we are with our playing staff.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#13 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

How many games has Watkinson played? Give the lad a chance!

On another thread you say you never rated spears - me neither, but I'll bet he has had less game time than Watkinson. Not saying he's a bad player, just that I can't remember him actually doing much. One of those players that GM ( referring to Hales a while ago) would tell you does loads of work that nobody notices - not on his own of course.

#14 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

On another thread you say you never rated spears - me neither, but I'll bet he has had less game time than Watkinson. Not saying he's a bad player, just that I can't remember him actually doing much. One of those players that GM ( referring to Hales a while ago) would tell you does loads of work that nobody notices - not on his own of course.

He can't do much when he hasn't got the ball. Just recently he's switched sides of the field and he's receiving more of the ball (maybe it had something to do with our players not being able to pass to the right). He will come good.

#15 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

He can't do much when he hasn't got the ball. Just recently he's switched sides of the field and he's receiving more of the ball (maybe it had something to do with our players not being able to pass to the right). He will come good.

Grasping at straws eddie. Left, right or in between - he gets the ball and moves it on or takes the tackle - not over, inside, or round his opposite number, just takes the tackle - as do Hales, Pryce, Scott, Beckett, Cosgrove and anybody else who has operated in the centre this year. Faal was never replaced, and he wasn't anywhere near as good as  Epati, Maun, Bretherton or Spurr. 

#16 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

Grasping at straws eddie. Left, right or in between - he gets the ball and moves it on or takes the tackle - not over, inside, or round his opposite number, just takes the tackle - as do Hales, Pryce, Scott, Beckett, Cosgrove and anybody else who has operated in the centre this year. Faal was never replaced, and he wasn't anywhere near as good as  Epati, Maun, Bretherton or Spurr. 

Give him time - he will come good. GM wouldn't have brought him all the way over from NZ if he didn't rate him.

#17 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

Give him time - he will come good. GM wouldn't have brought him all the way over from NZ if he didn't rate him.

Paid his own fare as I understand it - hope you are right though.

#18 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

Paid his own fare as I understand it - hope you are right though.

Yes he did pay his own air fare 

Another thing Brad Watkinson was recommended to GM by Joe Vagana. So if Brad doesn't improve it's not going to look good for Joe!

Edited by Eddie_Rombo, 14 June 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#19 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

Yes he did pay his own air fare 

Another thing Brad Watkinson was recommended to GM by Joe Vagana. So if Brad doesn't improve it's not going to look good for Joe!

He's done nowt in attack, that's for sure, but I get the feeling his defence is ok. With our half backs would any centre be doing much to be honest? We are hardly throwing the ball out from all angles.....He's defo a favourite of GM anyhow..

#20 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,476 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

Back on topic it seems that we still only have just enough fit players to make the squad tonight, so that figure of 40 is quite misleading in terms of players who are truly available for selection.

Sorry for being sensible.

:ph34r:

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users