Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

17/06/13 - Leeds Rhinos v Widnes Vikings - KO 7.45pm

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Leeds Rhinos (6 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Widnes Vikings (9 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

Widnes were very unlucky,better defense and they would have won.The academy lads did well for Leeds,entertaining game,decent crowd,good atmosphere,happy with the two points.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#202 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

enjoyed the game, even though we lost, the leeds youngsters are an extremely talented crop and with the guidance from the likes of burrow and peacock they looked the part. we played well in fits and starts but credit to the loiners.......they deserved the win.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#203 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,702 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

Another frustrating performance sadly. We've lost 5 consecutive Sky games by a grand total of 21 points.

Defensively we are shocking at times and really lack intensity but probably score as many long range tries as any other team in the competition.

Hanbury's try was class but tries like that are ten a penny for him, he scores some corkers and is such a dangerous runner. Was delighted that he recently signed a new contract with the club.

#204 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,733 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

I thought Hock was quiet and the Widnes bash was not good enough, especially against young kids.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#205 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

I thought Hock was quiet and the Widnes bash was not good enough, especially against young kids.

i think young peacock has a massive future in the game.......
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#206 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

I don't think the clash of heads with Keinhorst helped.

#207 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

I don't think the clash of heads with Keinhorst helped.

it would have hurt gaz if it had hit him anywhere else on his body..

#208 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

it would have hurt gaz if it had hit him anywhere else on his body..

:D

#209 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,702 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

It's the big problem we have, we're physically too weak and never control the ruck very well. 

Hock is so hit and miss and it's unbelievable. One game he's dominating, the next he's got an attitude like he's bored and on every play he tries an offload if it's on or not. I think Parramatta may regret signing him because his style seems the total opposite of the NRL. They'll tear their hear out if he has games last night where he views possession as being cheap. 

#210 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

It's the big problem we have, we're physically too weak and never control the ruck very well. 

My thoughts exactly.

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#211 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

On this present form you are correct

i think young peacock has a massive future in the game.......

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#212 7723

• Coach
  • 563 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hock is so hit and miss and it's unbelievable. One game he's dominating, the next he's got an attitude like he's bored and on every play he tries an offload if it's on or not. I think Parramatta may regret signing him because his style seems the total opposite of the NRL. They'll tear their hear out if he has games last night where he views possession as being cheap. 

I think the NRL will suit his game perfectly. He is always looking to offload the ball and I think Ricky Stuart will make sure their is always someone on his shoulder ready for it.

#213 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

What about when he flat out drops it, or gives away a penalty in possession...

#214 7723

• Coach
  • 563 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

They will probably drop him for a few games then.

#215 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,702 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

I think the NRL will suit his game perfectly. He is always looking to offload the ball and I think Ricky Stuart will make sure their is always someone on his shoulder ready for it.

I would have thought this before he came to Widnes.

The NRL is far more about building pressure and playing error free rugby than Super League is; yards aren't made as cheaply. Hock is an incredibly dangerous player and offers a continuous threat...when he's in the right frame of mind.

Unfortunately, he has too many games like Monday night. Some of the attempted offloads are ridiculous and seem to be in nearly every tackle; for instance in one he was being tackled by 3 players and was falling on his back but tried to offload to nobody. Keeping hold of the ball was the only real option for him but he didn't want to. I'm convinced that he has days where he loses interest and doesn't really care about the whole team situation, instead he wants to try the 1 in a 100 chance offload regardless of whether it will put us in a difficult situation if it doesn't come off.

The proof for me is that in some big games like Warrington at home, he didn't play that way at all. He played quite conservative for him but still created stuff when it was on, almost like he genuinely cared about winning that one.

Don't get me wrong, as a Widnes fan I'd have him in my team every day of the week. He's a genuinely world class player who can provide a spark that could give us a win even against some of the bigger teams. I just think that in the NRL the cheapness with which he views posession will not go down well. I hope he learns and he changes his attitude but I'm not sure he will, I think it's just him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users