League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

16/06/13 - Kingstone Press Championship 1 Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Which game will provide the narrowest winning margin? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game will provide the narrowest winning margin?

1. Gateshead Thunder v Rochdale Hornets (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. Hemel Stags v North Wales Crusaders (7 votes [63.64%])

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

3. London Skolars v Gloucestershire All Golds (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. South Wales Scorpions v Oldham (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,527 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

Discuss this week's Kingstone Press Championship 1 games here.

Sun 16th June
Gateshead Thunder v Rochdale Hornets    15:00
Hemel Stags v North Wales Crusaders    15:00
London Skolars v Gloucestershire All Golds    15:00
South Wales Scorpions v Oldham    15:00

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

Wins for Rochdale, Crusaders, Skolars and Oldham and only Scorpions to get a bonus point. Really looking forward to my second visit to Hemel this season and hoping that Mike Forgham is playing this time.

#3 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

Not holding out much hope of a home win at Pennine Way. And just looked at the weather forecast - it looks bloody miserable.

Ah well - first game in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to it!

#4 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 652 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

Not holding out much hope of a home win at Pennine Way. And just looked at the weather forecast - it looks bloody miserable.

Ah well - first game in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to it!

There should be a good few of us coming from North Wales after only a handful could make it for the Northern Rail Cup game.  I thing Crusaders will win but your bar taking will definitely improve!!

#5 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

We'll be at Filtrona Park - always a good trip up there.

I'll have a punt at:

1. Gateshead Thunder v Rochdale Hornets - Hornets by 30
  2. Hemel Stags v North Wales Crusaders - Crusaders by 30
  3. London Skolars v Gloucestershire All Golds - Skolars by 30
  4. South Wales Scorpions v Oldham - Scorpions by 13  ;) 

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#6 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

South Wales Scorpions v Oldham - Scorpions by 13  ;)

I am hoping the Scorpions have turned the corner. This game will be a very good indicator...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#7 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

Discuss this week's Kingstone Press Championship 1 games here.

Sun 16th June
Gateshead Thunder v Rochdale Hornets 15:00
Hemel Stags v North Wales Crusaders 15:00
London Skolars v Gloucestershire All Iolds 15:00
South Wales Scorpions v Oldham 15:00

Gateshead to run Hornets close but lose bonus point in last 5
Crusaders to pull away to convincing victory
Skolars to make heavy weather of it but sneak through, poss bonus point for glos
Scorpions to turn over Oldham by <13
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#8 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

There should be a good few of us coming from North Wales after only a handful could make it for the Northern Rail Cup game.  I thing Crusaders will win but your bar taking will definitely improve!!

Glad to hear it. I'll do my bit too!

#9 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

PREVIEWS

Gateshead Thunder v Rochdale Hornets (3.00pm)

Craig Borthwick is doubtful for Gateshead Thunder, while Luke Hardcastle is facing up to three weeks on the sidelines with a knee problem.
Thunder coach Kevin Neighbour is aiming for big improvements after last week’s 55-52 reverse against London Skolars.
Neighbour said: “We can’t afford to score 52 points and get beat – it’s suicide. Defence is the key this week.
“We had a pretty tough session on Tuesday and we were very honest.”
He added: “Rochdale are a good, experienced side and we’ll have to be tough if we want to get anything out of Sunday’s game.”
Wayne English, Mike Ratu and Dayne Donoghue all missed Rochdale Hornets’ Tuesday training session, but coach Ian Talbot is hopeful all three will be fit.
Danny Davies is also back in contention, but Alex McClurg and Alex Trumper are definitely out.
Talbot said: “We’re only playing for 40, 50 or 60 minutes at the moment. We need to get a level of consistency in our performances across the full 80 minutes.”

Hemel Stags v North Wales Crusaders (3.00pm)

Hemel Stags coach Troy Perkins is facing a half-back crisis as he prepares for Sunday’s match with North Wales Crusaders.
Chad Sharp is likely to be ruled out with an ankle injury, while Mike Bishay has been playing for London Broncos in recent weeks.
Perkins said: “We’ll have to reshuffle the team around a bit, but the nucleus stays the same.”
On Kingstone Press Championship One leaders North Wales, he added: “Everyone’s tipping them to win the league. It’s going to be a big test, but we can go into it with a bit of confidence.”
Christiaan Roets could return for the Crusaders, but coach Clive Griffiths is not short of options. He said: “Christiaan’s a full Welsh international but he’s still got to force his way back into the team.”
Griffiths added: “Hemel have done fantastically this year and they’ll be well-prepared.
“They’ve a very narrow, short pitch, so it’s hard to find gaps. It’ll be up to the bigger guys to punch holes and we’ve also got to pick good lines to run.”

London Skolars v Gloucestershire All Golds (3.00pm)

London Skolars coach Joe Mbu could name an unchanged side after last week’s 55-52 win at Gateshead Thunder.
Mbu said: “Everyone came through OK from last week.”
However, Mbu insists his side must be more focused for Sunday’s Kingstone Press Championship One clash with Gloucestershire All Golds.
He said: “We had quite a few lapses of concentration against Gateshead and that’s been happening too much over the last few weeks.
“When you lose focus in defence you get punished by decent teams, and that’s what’s been happening to us.
“If anything there is even more pressure on us this week after the amount of points we conceded at Gateshead. Gloucestershire will be looking at that and fancying their chances.”
All Golds coach Brad Hepi continues to be without Pat Evans, Joe McClean and captain Mike Stewart as he searches for a first league win of the season.

South Wales Scorpions v Oldham (3.00pm)

Billy Sheen looks set to make his South Wales Scorpions debut in Sunday’s Kingstone Press Championship One match against Oldham.
The former North Wales Crusaders star, 23, looks set to come into Dave Clark’s thinking and will provide added quality alongside Grant Gore.
Clark said: “This is a really important game for us. If we’ve got aspirations to be in the top six then we’ve got to look to get something out of this match.”
In-form Oldham have won four of their last six games, but coach Scott Naylor is not complacent.
Naylor is hoping to confirm a loan deal with Halifax’s Anthony Bowman in time for Sunday’s match.
David Cookson is also available for the Roughyeds, but Mo Agoro (ankle) is facing a race against time to prove his fitness.

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#10 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Closest match? Now that is a good question.

Four away wins look a certainty. I'll put my (virtual) money on Scorpions to put up the best fight.

#11 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

Closest match? Now that is a good question.

Four away wins look a certainty. I'll put my (virtual) money on Scorpions to put up the best fight.

All Golds 'certs' to win at London? Really?

#12 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

All Golds 'certs' to win at London? Really?

Oops for some reason, I had Skolars down as the away side.

#13 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 652 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

Oldham played extremely well against Crusaders last week and could be second spot contenders on that form. I think they will beet Scorpions by <13. Skolas will beat GAG by more than 30. Gateshead will lose narrowly to Hornets by < 10. Crusaders to beat Stags by a clear 20.

Can anyone get attendances higher than the Crusaders home gate last week?

#14 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

Oldham played extremely well against Crusaders last week and could be second spot contenders on that form. I think they will beet Scorpions by <13. Skolas will beat GAG by more than 30. Gateshead will lose narrowly to Hornets by < 10. Crusaders to beat Stags by a clear 20.

I think all 4 clubs would be delighted with half the gate that Crusaders got last week. 

#15 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

Oops for some reason, I had Skolars down as the away side.

Too late, your virtual bookmaker has taken the bet.

rldfsignature.jpg

#16 Stick to the Fax

Stick to the Fax
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

I am sure Skolars will on Aug 23rd v Crusaders. ........................

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

Well, so far, Thunder have gone from one extreme to the other in attack, not being able to summon up a point in the first half but still conceding too many.  Playing the Hornets was always going to be a tough call for Thunder but I'd hoped they would manage to get a score on the board.  Maybe they'll find a way in the second half.

It's neck and neck between the Cru and Hemel, second half just started.

It's neck and neck between the Scorps and Oldham too.

Skolars appear to have beaten the All Golds 38-22.  I think of all the teams, the All Golds are going to be the ones to struggle to make it stick.  I'm not sure whether they have won a league game yet?

Hemel appear to have a goal kicker called Seinfeld.  (Those of a certain age and all that)

Edited by Saintslass, 16 June 2013 - 03:41 PM.

#18 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

Eh-up!  Hemel now beating the Cru!

Scorps seem to have just lost to Oldham thanks to a last minute breakaway try by Oldham. 

Thunder did manage to score but lost 4-46 to the Hornets.

#19 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

Confirmation that Hemel have beaten the Cru, 18-10.  Well done Hemel.  That's a great result in their first season in the professional leagues.  (Having said that, I hope the Cru get back on the horse and continue their winning ways)

Skolars beat the All Golds 38-22.

#20 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

Well done Hemel. Would not have thought that possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users