Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Burgess Brothers

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

The Burgess brothers are applying for Australian Citzenship. When asked about playing in the World Cup for England he said he "wasnt looking that far ahead just yet" Would he really give up on England to try and play for NSW? Be a massive blow for Rugby League in England

#2 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

Should add the interview was with Sam Burgess, but all 4 are applying for the citzenship

#3 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

The Burgess brothers are applying for Australian Citzenship. When asked about playing in the World Cup for England he said he "wasnt looking that far ahead just yet" Would he really give up on England to try and play for NSW? Be a massive blow for Rugby League in England

Sam's already stated that he's no intention of switching his allegience, and under the new Origin rules he wouldn't be eligible to play for NSW anyway. Getting Australian Citizenship is simply a way of potentially securing a future for himself down under after his rugby career ends. Adrian Morley did exactly the same when he was at the Roosters. He's supposedly still got a house somewhere in Sydney.

#4 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

Good to here. Would be a massive Kick in the teeth for the game here if it was to happen

#5 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

Sam's already stated that he's no intention of switching his allegience, and under the new Origin rules he wouldn't be eligible to play for NSW anyway. Getting Australian Citizenship is simply a way of potentially securing a future for himself down under after his rugby career ends. Adrian Morley did exactly the same when he was at the Roosters. He's supposedly still got a house somewhere in Sydney.

No. This is Rugby League. There must be more to it, there must be an agenda, there must be bad news.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#6 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

It seems like a pragmatic decision to take out citizenship. No reason a priori to assume it is anything to do with who he wants or can play rugby for.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#7 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

The interview was with Fox Sports Australia. Id post the Link but not sure how to do it. If you are on Twitter it was posted by George Ridley. They do make sound like he is dying to play orgin. It does say that he cant do. I guess we will see

#8 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,924 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

[conspiracy]He knows he's getting snubbed by McNamara so he's applying for Aussie citizenship so he can play Origin and then for the Roos. Another one forced to play for another country by the status quo![/conspiracy]
Posted Image

#9 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

hes not allowed to play origin....and is'nt going to bin england to play for australia...

they've become aussie citizens so they can stay in australia when they finish playing.....thats the real story here.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#10 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,583 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

The interview was with Fox Sports Australia. Id post the Link but not sure how to do it. If you are on Twitter it was posted by George Ridley. They do make sound like he is dying to play orgin. It does say that he cant do. I guess we will see

It also claims George Burgess went to Australia when he was 16.

rldfsignature.jpg

#11 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

hes not allowed to play origin....and is'nt going to bin england to play for australia...

they've become aussie citizens so they can stay in australia when they finish playing.....thats the real story here.

Farce. I blame the RFL!

When I read it it did seem innocent enough as you say, however I can't quite ignore the nagging feeling that Australia might do their best to entice the lads to the green and gold!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#12 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

It'd be very disappointing if Sam chose not to play for England. I hope that doesn't happen!!!!!
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#13 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

It's probably just more a case of aus is where he and his family want to reside after his career is over not where his international allegiances lay.
My main sadness is that other than internationals we may never see the Burgess boys playing club rugby in eng again.

#14 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

MAYBE MCBANANA HAS TOLD HIM HE WANTS BURGESS TO PLAY ON THE WING LOLZ

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#15 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

This will more likely see the end of Sam coming back over to England for retirement rather than him playing for England altogether.

#16 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

MAYBE MCBANANA HAS TOLD HIM HE WANTS BURGESS TO PLAY ON THE WING LOLZ

I'd have all four in the side !

#17 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,924 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:42 PM

...In the halves
Posted Image

#18 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 901 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:38 AM

Australian citizenship didn't stop Morley from playing in England again.

#19 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:48 AM

Seems like a good move by them if they see their careers panning out in Australia.  It probably saves a lot of visa nonsense for them.

And there's no reason whatsoever why it would have any implications for their international career with England.    You can be British and Australian at the same time - like Tony Smith, Adrian Morley, one of my closest colleagues and probably hundreds of thousands more people.

That's me.  I'm done.

#20 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:31 AM

Even Tom?
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!