RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Burgess Brothers

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

Tom will be there or there abouts soon
waddell

#22 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

Only Sam would be eligible to apply for citizenship at the moment, his brothers aren't. I worked in Aus and was eligible to buy my way into the system because of my professional qualififcations and the fact that my 'trade' was on the government list of national skill shortages. I doubt RL player is classed as a skill shortage !!

Sam wont be doing this so he can switch alliegance he'll be doing it so he can claim all the benefits that Aussies do in their tax system. All the old perks that us Brits used to be able to claim such as LAFHA (Living Away From Homwe Allowance) have all been abolished now so Sam will be being taxed at the full amount (no doubt a sizeable portion of his salary was paid tax free through LAFHA).

Correct me if i'm wrong but hasn't Sam got young kids ? If he has then he has to pay for ALL of their childcare costs & schooling, which is pretty expensive in Aus, where as citizens get it all free. They also get better rates on their healthcare.

This bid for citizenship will be nothing more than him saving himself a few quid in tax & expenses.

#23 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

the aussies press tried the samething with mozza when he went for citizenship back in 2003 iirc

http://news.bbc.co.u...gue/3165832.stm

Great Britain forward Adrian Morley has applied for Australian citizenship.
Morley has made a big impression in the NRL since his move to the Sydney Roosters from Leeds in 2000 and has signed a three-year contract extension.

"If I get it, it would be ideal because I can come and go as I please, even when I've finishing playing," he said.

Morley's plans for dual citizenship should not affect his availability to play for Great Britain.

"I already have property in Australia and hopefully I will get the visa," said Morley.

off the back of that fox sports ran a 10min piece about morley possibly playing for NSW in the following year's origin series.....

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#24 philipw

philipw
  • Coach
  • 537 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong but hasn't Sam got young kids ? If he has then he has to pay for ALL of their childcare costs & schooling, which is pretty expensive in Aus, where as citizens get it all free. They also get better rates on their healthcare.

This bid for citizenship will be nothing more than him saving himself a few quid in tax & expenses.

No he hasn't. Although Luke and his partner have just had a baby.

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,572 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

And just making most things in life much less complicated all round. Makes sense, but I'm sure some TRL members can find something to offend them in this story.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#26 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 819 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

Watching The Game Plan right now. They had George on the panel as a guest. I knew he was young but seeing him being interviewed in plain clothes, he still looks like a boy. God help opposition players when he becomes a man.

#27 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

Seems like a good move by them if they see their careers panning out in Australia.  It probably saves a lot of visa nonsense for them.

And there's no reason whatsoever why it would have any implications for their international career with England.    You can be British and Australian at the same time - like Tony Smith, Adrian Morley, one of my closest colleagues and probably hundreds of thousands more people.

Absolutely! My wife and both of my children are British and Australian. I'm 'just' British.

Only Sam would be eligible to apply for citizenship at the moment, his brothers aren't. I worked in Aus and was eligible to buy my way into the system because of my professional qualififcations and the fact that my 'trade' was on the government list of national skill shortages. I doubt RL player is classed as a skill shortage !!
Sam wont be doing this so he can switch alliegance he'll be doing it so he can claim all the benefits that Aussies do in their tax system. All the old perks that us Brits used to be able to claim such as LAFHA (Living Away From Homwe Allowance) have all been abolished now so Sam will be being taxed at the full amount (no doubt a sizeable portion of his salary was paid tax free through LAFHA).

Spot on, being an Aussie citizen can definitely provide perks that residents/visa holders aren't entitled to.

Although it's probably no more than Sam looking to take the advantages from being British/Australian, I really hope that he only ever plays internationals for England/GB. We need as many Burgess boys as we can playing for the 'motherland'.

#28 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

I doubt RL player is classed as a skill shortage !!

Prop might be.

Edited by MrPosh, 13 June 2013 - 10:41 AM.

People called Romans they go the house

#29 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

the aussies press tried the samething with mozza when he went for citizenship back in 2003 iirc

http://news.bbc.co.u...gue/3165832.stmoff the back of that fox sports ran a 10min piece about morley possibly playing for NSW in the following year's origin series.....

It was a wind up story though Spud as you know.
Never going to happen and Morley laughed about it when he was questioned later that week.

There is no way any player established in another country or a grown Adult from over seas would be selected for SOO in recent years and the when James Tamou who moved to Australia aged 13 chose to play for NSW and Oz rather than NZ it caused an uproar with the fans and some officials because he had represented the Maori previously.
The laws were changed to state you have to live in Australia before you turn 13 to be eligibility to qualify, in other words at 13 you are a kid playing Park football and not being poached as a developed talent.

Aussie fans would go mental if the Burgess boys or Graham played Origin or played for the Kangaroos and the administration knows that.

#30 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

the point im getting at is the likes of morley & the burgess brothers have perfectly valid reasons for becoming australian citizens..primarily revolving around the ease of life in becoming permanent residents...ie tax,life after RL etc..

yet the aussie press earmark them as origin & australia players before the ink is even dry on the citizen paperwork..

its pathetic...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#31 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

the point im getting at is the likes of morley & the burgess brothers have perfectly valid reasons for becoming australian citizens..primarily revolving around the ease of life in becoming permanent residents...ie tax,life after RL etc..

yet the aussie press earmark them as origin & australia players before the ink is even dry on the citizen paperwork..

its pathetic...

I was not having a go at you Spud and I know what you mean.

In Morleys case they were just spinning stories without any foundations.

All media do that though.

In the Burgess boys case they seem well settled and it could be a worry that more SL players move to the NRL and never come back to SL as was hoped by many as players with something to pass on to English Clubs.

Its always the chance you take when a player leaves I guess, I would be concerned about the Cherry picking that is going on and where that leaves SL, its Clubs and Fans.
A few months ago It looked like a handful of top end players and I said that here, but its building momentum it seems.

#32 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,572 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

All the brothers are now match fit, although Luke will not be put straight back into first grade Rugby, but will get back up to speed with Norths. But the chance of seeing all four on the pitch at the same time has taken a step closer.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#33 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

A few months ago It looked like a handful of top end players and I said that here, but its building momentum it seems.

The top end players I think we can cope with - they'll improve the England side and I think we'll benefit more from that than we lose.

It's the level beneath that which is the problem - where the players are comfortably good enough for either SL or the NRL, but never likely to improve enough to benefit the game back here.

Not to mention the youngsters, obviously.
People called Romans they go the house

#34 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 559 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

My concern is not now but in 20 years time if all these lads have sons and they are born Aussie's we are going to potentially miss out then. We're improving the Aussie's genetic stock for generations to come its all a cunning plan.

#35 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,756 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

My concern is not now but in 20 years time if all these lads have sons and they are born Aussie's we are going to potentially miss out then. We're improving the Aussie's genetic stock for generations to come its all a cunning plan.

It's a good job Luke's first baby was a girl then!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#36 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

So that explains George Burgess' incident in Cairns: he thought that a criminal record was a requirement.

#37 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

So that explains George Burgess' incident in Cairns: he thought that a criminal record was a requirement.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

That's a good one Mate.

#38 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

absurd thread -next news rangi chase and shontayne hope and lelslie vianakolo will all be running out to play rugby for England!

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users