Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Victorian era Lion remembered by B&I Lions down under

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

Whilst flicking through sections of the BBC TV red button I came across a story about the British & Irish Lions squad (RU) down under who have paid their respects at the grave of 1880s Lions stalwart Bob Seddon who was tragically drowned in a boating accident during the first RU Lions tour to Australasia in 1888. He was the tourists' captain, and was interred in Newcastle, New South Wales (It says in 'Campbell's Cemetery', but I can't trace it, can you? - I think I've found it. It's called Campells Hill Cemetery, which is on South Street, Telarah in Maitland, NSW, a few miles inland from the port of Newcastle, 100 miles up the coast from Sydney. See link below again.

R.I.P Bob, and all other great (and not-so great) Lions down the ages.

Read it on the BBC Sport website (link below)

http://www.bbc.co.uk...hester-22875871

Campells Hill Cemetery link below.

http://www.maitland....eries/Campbells

Edited by Blue Monkey, 12 June 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#2 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

The story was featured on this evening's North West Tonight, except the fact that he was a Swinton player was totally omitted! The impression was left that Seddon played for Broughton Rangers (which indeed he did prior to joining Swinton). The piece featured Graham Morris reading my book!, (Morris is a Salford historian and Reds fan, and from past experience has an anti-Swinton agenda. e.g. he's also tried to discredit Martin Hodgson's world record kick). I emailed NWT and got a reply admitting Seddon was a Swinton player, and asking me if I enjoyed the feature!!!! However, to be fair, North West Tonight said that they had been trying to contact the Swinton club today but without success! Which brings me to another point. Coincidentally, today, I called at the club office to pick up a match ticket for Donny. But for the FIFTH time this season I had to walk away empty handed because the office wasn't manned. How many more potential customers have been affected similarly I wonder? Not happy today AT ALL !!!

#3 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

If someone has to pop out of the office for a short time, it only takes a moment to pin a little 'back in 15 minutes' note to the door.

It's right though that the office should be manned Mon-Fri. They should put themselves in a supporter's position, maybe then they might realise their folly of 'putting off' potential fans/'customers'.

If you've got a 'product' (Swinton RLFC) to sell, you need to be available in order to satisfy your potential customers'/patrons' (your fans) requirements. After all, it aint rocket science is it?

#4 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

Correct Keith, and like I said its a pity nobody was around to take the calls from the BBC as we've potentially missed out on a bit of nice publicity.

#5 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

Isn't this all a bit hypocritical? Wasn't the 1888 tour a rebel commercial venture with players deemed professional and ostracised by the RU authorities?

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#6 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

It was nonetheless the first international rugby side to leave these shores, captained by a Swinton man. And the poor fellow died in tragic corcumstances. So still important historically, regardless of the political circumstances. But yes maybe hypocritical from the modern RFU grabbing publicity from the story if that's what you're getting at.

#7 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

The story was featured on this evening's North West Tonight, except the fact that he was a Swinton player was totally omitted! The impression was left that Seddon played for Broughton Rangers (which indeed he did prior to joining Swinton). The piece featured Graham Morris reading my book!, (Morris is a Salford historian and Reds fan, and from past experience has an anti-Swinton agenda. e.g. he's also tried to discredit Martin Hodgson's world record kick). I emailed NWT and got a reply admitting Seddon was a Swinton player, and asking me if I enjoyed the feature!!!! However, to be fair, North West Tonight said that they had been trying to contact the Swinton club today but without success! Which brings me to another point. Coincidentally, today, I called at the club office to pick up a match ticket for Donny. But for the FIFTH time this season I had to walk away empty handed because the office wasn't manned. How many more potential customers have been affected similarly I wonder? Not happy today AT ALL !!!

Steve normally if they go out and are going to be away a short time they leave the tickets with me and I get my staff to sort them out...for whatever reason today they didn't.

#8 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:50 PM

It was nonetheless the first international rugby side to leave these shores, captained by a Swinton man. And the poor fellow died in tragic corcumstances. So still important historically, regardless of the political circumstances. But yes maybe hypocritical from the modern RFU grabbing publicity from the story if that's what you're getting at.

Absolutely agree, Steve - a very important event, and one that should also be recognised by the rugby [league] clubs that produced many of the players. I was getting at the Union authorities, yes. I remember Ian Jackson doing a good article on the tour in a match day programme in 2008.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#9 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

The story was featured on this evening's North West Tonight,*

* Still on BBC i-player.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ght_12_06_2013/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users