Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sky Discrimination

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

Over the years I have paid a Sky subscription at the end of january for sport, and then in autumn have stopped it at the end of the Super League season, on average my team Bradford Bulls have been featured 7-8 matches per season in line with most other clubs except league leaders who are usually featured more. This season Bulls have been only featured 3 times, I don't include M weekend where all clubs are featured. I would like to remind Sky I am a subscriber and irrespective of what club I follow 3 matches a season is hardly value for money.

I did think of stopping my subscription, but this only means I will not be able to watch any Super League at all and is only causing myself to be disappointed. Therefore I am writing to Sky to ask if they can explain the reasons why the downturn on Bulls matches. If the response is unsatisfactory I will report them to the Ombudsman on the grounds of discrimination. It would appear at present that they are discriminating against Bradford supporters who like myself are subscribers.

Incidentally, only three clubs have gone 8 weeks without an home fixture, and of course Bradford is one of those which for a side who is only paid half the Sky money makes things harder.

#2 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

noted

#3 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

Personally I'd rather my own club was only ever on Sky for away games, if at all.

Hate being on Sky for home games, does nothing but lower the crowd.
  • amh likes this

#4 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

Personally I'd rather my own club was only ever on Sky for away games, if at all.

Hate being on Sky for home games, does nothing but lower the crowd.

Whether it lowers the crowd or not is speculation, it highlights how low your crowds are though.

#5 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

Over the years I have paid a Sky subscription at the end of january for sport, and then in autumn have stopped it at the end of the Super League season, on average my team Bradford Bulls have been featured 7-8 matches per season in line with most other clubs except league leaders who are usually featured more. This season Bulls have been only featured 3 times, I don't include M weekend where all clubs are featured. I would like to remind Sky I am a subscriber and irrespective of what club I follow 3 matches a season is hardly value for money.
I did think of stopping my subscription, but this only means I will not be able to watch any Super League at all and is only causing myself to be disappointed. Therefore I am writing to Sky to ask if they can explain the reasons why the downturn on Bulls matches. If the response is unsatisfactory I will report them to the Ombudsman on the grounds of discrimination. It would appear at present that they are discriminating against Bradford supporters who like myself are subscribers.
Incidentally, only three clubs have gone 8 weeks without an home fixture, and of course Bradford is one of those which for a side who is only paid half the Sky money makes things harder.

Did Sky make a guarantee that they'd show a certain number of Bradford games? They can show whatever they want, you don't have to subscribe to their service and you'd have no case whatsoever if you went to the Ombudsman.

#6 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

I really feel for this guy, his club is only featuring 3 times this season. I guess Bradford are the reason why I have a sky subscription. But I think my own club has only been on twice in the last 15 years. But then again I do enjoy actually seeing all the matches in person, I somehow get the feeling I am more involved with the club I support.

#7 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

Welcome to the also ran clubs. I think SKY state that all teams will be on SKY for a minimum number of games.

For many seasons teams like Salford have reached that minimum and no more.

This season our 3  SKY games have all been home games against teams with poor floodlights. Maybe that is a factor in this era on modern square stadiums.

You need to adjust your view of the RL world now Bradford are just an average team unlikely to win a trophy until your rebuilding is complete. It's been this way for the rest of us for some years.

#8 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

hindle xiii will be along soon with 12 years worth of stats on this very subject

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#9 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

I must explain, I live in South Wales, and when I was younger I used to drive at least once a month to Odsal, I am nearly eighty and long distance driving is not my forte, particularly as I still work on a number of days weekly

On my count Salford have appeared twice the number of times as the Bulls this season, and if Sky were doing there job properly there would be an all round fairer representation of all clubs. In Wales the Beeb give a more equal coverage of the Welsh sides. It doesn't say much for sky's motto- we believe in better. Incidentally Sky do guarantee a minimum number of matches for clubs which they seem to have forgotten.

My argument is while most fans on here are thinking of local sides, we who live outside the rugby league world are given a second rate service.

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

hindle xiii will be along soon with 12 years worth of stats on this very subject

I didn't get that dull until 2008.

• amh likes this

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

Trying to work out if this thread is satire or not...

Posted Image

#12 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

Bulls need to do what Leigh and others have done http://www.leighcent...urionstv/latest

I can listen to games live - home & away, and can watch all of the matches once they are uploaded, which is normally Wednesday, from a Sunday game 

Try contacting Sky with your concerns about their coverage if you're that way inclined. I seem to remember a period , when your team Bulls were never off, or so it seemed, so swings and roundabouts I think

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#13 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

Trying to work out if this thread is satire or not...

Yes me too.  I was going to suggest that it doesn't sound like it's going to be a long term problem for the OP, but I thought better of it.

#14 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

Bulls need to do what Leigh and others have done http://www.leighcent...urionstv/latest

I can listen to games live - home & away, and can watch all of the matches once they are uploaded, which is normally Wednesday, from a Sunday game 

Omar Khan mentioned to me at the last forum they were planning on doing something like it. I don't know whether the Leigh, Wigan or Hull KR ones are different but I spose it's somewhere along those lines.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Not that anyone asked or cares, but I'm pretty sure Leeds are currently first with around 11 appearances on sky (including this Monday), London are last with 2. These include the Magic Weekend.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

I'm glad we aren't on TV often, we're frequently a bloody embarrassment when we are.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#17 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

Not that anyone asked or cares, but I'm pretty sure Leeds are currently first with around 11 appearances on sky (including this Monday), London are last with 2. These include the Magic Weekend.

that's just this season I presume - what's it like since 2008? Does is even out?

#18 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

I'm glad we aren't on TV often, we're frequently a bloody embarrassment when we are.

Yes, there's that too, as Ant said it doesn't help gates and if you've got a low crowd and play badly, as does seem to happen all too often, you also have the happy happy joy joy of the commentary team going on and on and on about it.

#19 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

I don't see what the problem is, I love it when Rovers are not on Sky - we usually lose anyway ;D

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

that's just this season I presume - what's it like since 2008? Does is even out?

This is just so far this season, 11 times in 18 rounds (they weren't scheduled to feature in their other postponed game) to me does seem a little excessive.

And that info is at home. In my special nerd place.

(Or the last few threads are here until TRL stops)

But not really, the top clubs feature more, the biggest drop was Huddersfield in 2011 to 2012, I think 14 (top) to around 6.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users