Sky Discrimination

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,713 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

Have you posted on this subject before – seem to remember something similar coming up about this in relation to the Bulls a few months back now I think about it. Whilst as a fellow Bulls fan I have some sympathy for you, I have to say realistically you’re on a hiding to nothing. If you are paying to watch Rugby League on Sky then you are paying for Super League and nothing else. If I was in charge of Sky, looking at our remaining fixtures and current form I wouldn’t put us on TV again and I’m bias!!

I’ll say to you what I said to you (or someone with a very similar query) a few months back. If it concerns you that much, dump Sky because the SL deal is based to be beneficial for fans of the sport in general rather than the needs of any one specific team. Then, if/when the Bulls are next on Sky buy the Sky Sports online day pass for £10 – watch all Sky Sports channels for 24 hours. You’ll save a ton of money and even more heartache because we’ll be on twice more this season and that’s being massively generous.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#22 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,777 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

Trying to work out if this thread is satire or not...

Nothing to worry about. The Bulls coverage will balance out when we storm the playoffs and Grand final.

:D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#23 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,681 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

Salford have been on 3 times Hull KR, Cas and Wakefield plus Widnes at magic weekend.

SKY assume everyone wants to watch the top teams, where most fans want entertaining.

#24 amh

amh
  • 11,084 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

This is just so far this season, 11 times in 18 rounds (they weren't scheduled to feature in their other postponed game) to me does seem a little excessive.

And that info is at home. In my special nerd place.

(Or the last few threads are here until TRL stops)

But not really, the top clubs feature more, the biggest drop was Huddersfield in 2011 to 2012, I think 14 (top) to around 6.

so case proven, the more you're on the more likely your results will suffer 

Sky can keep showing Bulls every week for mine 

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#25 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,777 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

I live in South Wales, and when I was younger I used to drive at least once a month to Odsal

Whereabouts are you from?

I'm originally from Garndiffaith.

#26 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

Trying to work out if this thread is satire or not...

Mmm.

#27 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

I seem to remember a period , when your team Bulls were never off, or so it seemed, so swings and roundabouts I think

This. Just to be clear, if you never complained that Bradford were shown too often that other clubs had to miss out in the past you have no right to complain now.

#28 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

Nothing to worry about. The Bulls coverage will balance out when we storm the playoffs and Grand final.

In which season is this likely to happen Wolers?

#29 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

Whereabouts are you from?
I'm originally from Garndiffaith.

This isn't a dating site. Cut it out.

#30 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,777 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

This isn't a dating site. Cut it out.

No, it's a conspiracy. And you're not invited.

#31 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,777 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

In which season is this likely to happen Wolers?

Possibly not this season.

#32 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

I would have thought that with a large population(Bradford) along with the other sides with large populations Sky should aim to give decent coverage. Incidentaly I live in Bridgend, halfway between my places of work Cardiff and Swansea.Thank goodness the World Cup will be on BBC

#33 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,713 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:42 AM

London has a massive population. Get them on more.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#34 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

Believe it or not, indomitable has got a point.

Sky have discriminated against ###### teams for years.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#35 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

Although we may argue among ourselves about coverage given to our favourite sides, RU sides are extremely over covered in comparison. Sky,BBC, ITV, and now I understand BT will be providing coverage. I always understood because we had an exclusive contract with Sky, it prevented live coverage on other channels. All my working colleagues are union fans, and they get masses of coverage for all club games.

#36 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

Just to be clear, there has been no free to air coverage of English club rugby at all since 2009 when the BBC lost the Anglo-Welsh cup to Sky Sports. Their live matches have been exclusive to Sky and ESPN, with highlights on ITV. Next season most of their live matches will be on BT Sport with some still on Sky.

The Pro12 is shown terrestrially on the BBC in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland but we cannot complain when we have no professional clubs in any of those countries let alone able to support a separate league in them.

Aside from the awful scheduling of the Super League Show we do just as well in England as club rugby union, if not better because of the free live Challenge Cup games on the BBC. They get more games televised overall though because as well as a league and cup, they also have two European competitions to compete in when we only have a single WCC match to compare.

#37 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

This is just so far this season, 11 times in 18 rounds (they weren't scheduled to feature in their other postponed game) to me does seem a little excessive.

And that info is at home. In my special nerd place.

(Or the last few threads are here until TRL stops)

But not really, the top clubs feature more, the biggest drop was Huddersfield in 2011 to 2012, I think 14 (top) to around 6.

Are you including the WCC in that? Also, I would argue that it is difficult to count tonight's game in that as it's effectively a bonus televised match due to the match being rearranged. If this was played during round 3, it wouldn't have been televised

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#38 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

Are you including the WCC in that? Also, I would argue that it is difficult to count tonight's game in that as it's effectively a bonus televised match due to the match being rearranged. If this was played during round 3, it wouldn't have been televised

No, I don't include the WCC. And I think it was always on the cards to show tonight's rearranged fixture, I'd have to check if it has been before. The Wakefield postponed game would be a different matter, although funnily enough the home/away games are now back to back.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#39 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

No, I don't include the WCC. And I think it was always on the cards to show tonight's rearranged fixture, I'd have to check if it has been before. The Wakefield postponed game would be a different matter, although funnily enough the home/away games are now back to back.

Fair enough, was just surprised by the number. I know we've been on TV quite a bit this year but it doesn't feel like we've been on most weekends (maybe it does to fans of other teams though! :D )

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#40 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

Fair enough, was just surprised by the number. I know we've been on TV quite a bit this year but it doesn't feel like we've been on most weekends (maybe it does to fans of other teams though! :D )

Hull FC home, St Helens away, Wigan home, Bradford home, Catalan away, Warrington home, Bradford away, St Helens home, Wigan Magic weekend, Hull FC away, Widnes home.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users