Where do we go from here

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 320 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

I recall three times last night in the second half when the dummy half scooted through our defence without an effort and barely a hand on him The one for the try looked farcical. He took the ball and stood still, waited till swinton ran away and then put he ball down for a try! Schoolboy sums up the level well.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#22 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

Weighman at least get my second cup of coffee down me.
I accept I was for the link with Warrington and a big supporter of it yes.
I didn't like the idea of using it to bring back established first teamers aka Morley, Brides etc but in all honesty their inclusion didn't turn us into world beaters.
As for the others they were young lads similar to the players who featured for you last night.

What I wasn't overjoyed with is letting players like Brad Dwyer leave to go on loan else where in super league.

If you speak to the established Swinton players they enjoy the benefit of the link via training facilities and physio.

I will hold my hands up and accept endless chopping and changing of the team has done us no favours.

Swinton never set the rules by which DR was operated and as we both agree broke no rules,time will tell if the clubs acceptance of it was correct.

#23 pricey53

pricey53
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

The only way to get rid of RUBBISH is to buy a new broom and start again

#24 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 581 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

Interesting column in the programme last night by the coach. In his own words:-

1- "I want everyone to understand that we are building a side here at Swinton". (This comment needs substantially expanding, because I for one am not grasping the actual practicalities of this team-building. Are we already planning for post-relegation?).

2- "The fans will have to stick with us and keep positive". (Some of us have been doing this for 40 years or more! And I'd be more inclined to carry on being "positive" if I could detect something to be positive about!)

3- "We will keep working hard and keep training and it will pay off". (A hope we all share, though recent evidence suggests this is an aspiration rather than an expectation).

#25 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

Could it be that John Kidd simply doesnt have the money anymore? 

I mean, as much as under the Kidd's running of the club, us fans have been left uninformed and somewhat disillusioned, we simply would not have a club if it wasn't for JK. Perhaps his money has finally ran out and hes clutching at straws to keep us where we are (and failing miserably). I mean the club is simply choosing the cheaper option as opposed to the better option every single time, cutting costs is a vital part of every business, but the knock on effect of poor results/lower attendances surely cancels these lower costs out?

Why is it us fans thought (albeit pessimistically) that Chambers was under-qualified for this position before he even started? All he has done is prove us right. I could perhaps understand the mistakes that have been made this year if it was our first year in the division, but its not!!! We saw last year how tough this league is and we struggled with a much stronger squad than we have now. So why oh why does JK seem to think that Super League U21 play at a level even close to this. 21 year old lads, who arnt even full developed physically yet.

I wonder if things would have been different if all those quality players weve had over the years under the Paul Kidds reign, had not have underperformed year in year out (had we have had a decent coach). Where would we be now? 

As much as I respect John Kidd for what he has done for this club, I honestly cannot figure out how he has made a dime in his life because his business and especially his rugby knowledge are beyond poor.

Edited by Furryenzo, 14 June 2013 - 10:57 AM.

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#26 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

The only way forward as I see it is to field a settled team and try to achieve some continuity.Its obvious that constantly chopping and changing personel is achieving nothing beneficial other than giving game time to certain players who's ultimate allegiance to another club.Most of the players on the field last night were Swinton Players ,lets try to keep it that way and use the DR agreement in an emergency.It was interesting listening to one individual last night involved in dual registration at another club.It was obvious he Didnt really want to play for that club but was doing so because his club had instructed him too.

#27 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

emergency.It was interesting listening to one individual last night involved in dual registration at another club.It was obvious he Didnt really want to play for that club but was doing so because his club had instructed him too.

Interesting to hear you say that, Duffy. I think several clubs using DR are experiencing the same thing. Some players come and give it 100% whereas others just go through the motions. Felt sorry for Richie Hawkyard and one or two others last night. A certain player who I have always rated offensively had an absolute 'mare in defence for you last night ! Sad to see Lions fans so disillusioned - hope, somehow it turns around for you...

#28 PeteM

PeteM
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

Anyone know the official attendance figure last night? Cheers

#29 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

What was expected of the 6 Warrington players who signed for Swinton for this season but were still obviously under the control of Warrington?    Those young lads all knew that come what may at the end of this season they would once again revert to being Warrington players.    I have read a comment on here that you need to get rid of certain players and one mentioned was Ryan Shaw.    This lad played on DR for Barrow last season and had a great season and certainly Barrow and Workington would have liked to have signed him, I'm sure.    So what is the reason if he is now playing so poorly that he can be dispensed with?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#30 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

Hi Keith

We can't get rid of Ryan i have sponsored him for the season !!

Riggy

#31 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

I do not think it right to single out Ryan Shaw, he is an excellent goal kicker and good attacking centre, his defence is not the best - but any decent coach would see this and try and improve that aspect of the player's game and while that is happening the "team" needs to pay attention to its weaknesses and a collective. Of course it all falls down if the weakness out weight the strengths of the team.

For me DR has not helped simply because it has meant the team has not been settled and to be honest Warrington want to develop their younger players so putting a player out to loan with another SL club is in their opinion better grounding that playing for Swinton........also it has meant certain players are consistently played out of position, e.g. playing Ainscough in the centre - for which he is not big enough and then when he is played at stand off he is expected to become a game breaker when has not played regularly in the position etc.

Above all else we have a real problem when Mark Smith is not on the field - our play the balls are generally slower that the opposition and worst of all we never run from deep, always have a flat attacking line - which is why Halifax intercepted three pass because our attacking line was flat so the long pass was so inviting....

So for me it has to be a settled team first and foremost only then can the team gel and develop confidence, spirit and hopefully the ability to win games.

#32 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

on the Swinton Lions fans page someone has given the figure of 201,not sure if that is the official figure.

#33 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

Probably a good idea to give the figure in Roman numerals as a lot of folk won't realise just how low the numbers were.

Match attendance = CCI  (figure that one out eh?)

:wizard:

#34 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

Above all else we have a real problem when Mark Smith is not on the field 

Smithy is one of the very few clever ball players we have, coupled with his quick brain and eye for any opportunity to take the ball forward into the opponents' space. He leads by example and is sorely missed when off the pitch.

#35 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

What was expected of the 6 Warrington players who signed for Swinton for this season but were still obviously under the control of Warrington?    Those young lads all knew that come what may at the end of this season they would once again revert to being Warrington players.    I have read a comment on here that you need to get rid of certain players and one mentioned was Ryan Shaw.    This lad played on DR for Barrow last season and had a great season and certainly Barrow and Workington would have liked to have signed him, I'm sure.    So what is the reason if he is now playing so poorly that he can be dispensed with?

I mentioned Ryan Shaw in another post, but by no means meant him individually, my point was that players such as he and other Warrington lads just dont seem up to the standard in this league. Im sure surrounded by a solid team under a good coach he would learn and adapt pretty quickly, but when hes thrown in at the deep end with other youngsters, their lack of physical ability and mistakes due to inexperience are in abundance.

Although harsh our league position is there to see. I dont think Chambers or the D.R situation helps what so ever but the lack of individual quality throughout the squad is somewhat obvious.

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#36 robt

robt
  • Coach
  • 717 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

I've noticed that elsewhere in the division though. 

I think we (Doncaster) have been pretty lucky with our DR guys, Dan Cowling has been with us for the majority of the last 2 seasons, and has been a standout performer throughout, Liam Kay had a pretty slow start this season, but his partnership with Cowling has been excellent, and Kyle Trout has filled in well in the pack, as he can play anywhere. 

Rob Terrace - Matchday Photographer / Highlights 'editor', Doncaster RLFC.

#37 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 581 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

Ultimately Swinton seem to have gained the least out of DR compared with other clubs, yet received by far the most criticism. I've no doubt some might say karma. Not necessarily saying I agree by the way.

#38 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

Ultimately Swinton seem to have gained the least out of DR compared with other clubs, yet received by far the most criticism. I've no doubt some might say karma. Not necessarily saying I agree by the way.

I don't think Swinton would have received as much criticism if it hadn't been for the very obvious ploy of "signing" 6 Warrington players at the start of the season.    If those players had been DR players no-one would have batted an eyelid but no-one is convinced that it was nothing more than circumventing the system of only being allowed 5 DR and/or loan players.    No rules broken but it did leave a bad taste!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#39 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

Probably a good idea to give the figure in Roman numerals as a lot of folk won't realise just how low the numbers were.

Match attendance = CCI  (figure that one out eh?)

:wizard:

CCI? I stand corrected, should be CD (aestimatur)

#40 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

On one level there is an irony, but both the criticism and the poor performances have the same root cause - Swinton Lions having taken Partnering too far and gone about the whole concept in a totally ham fisted manner.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users