Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Where do we go from here

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:30 AM

On one level there is an irony, but both the criticism and the poor performances have the same root cause - Swinton Lions having taken Partnering too far and gone about the whole concept in a totally ham fisted manner.

But of course Leigh would never ever take DR on board would they.??

#42 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

But of course Leigh would never ever take DR on board would they.??

Not to the same extent Swinton Lions have. There are important differences in approach. Pretty much every other club has paid more attention to the risks that are inherent in Partnering and been smarter in mitigating those risks.

I don't see anyone from Wigan referring to Leigh as being their "A team / second team" etc in the manner more than one senior person from Warrington has referred to Swinton Lions. That kind of thing is a good indicator that Swinton Lions has got the culture of the Partnership badly wrong and this has been reflected in performances on the pitch and yet more damage to the brand.

I feel it comes back to the people running Swinton Lions having been too opportunistic, failing to value several factors that are fundamentally important to; building a proper team; maintaining the club's own unique identity and values, and; the integrity of the competition.

One of the most important factors for effectiveness of any side is the authority of the coach. This ought to be sacrosanct - in terms of recruitment, training regime, team selection, tactics - all of which need to be 100% targetted at what is best for development of one club only. The way Swinton Lions has operated on Partnering cut across many of these aspects, which is why it was so telling when Steve McCormack walked away and the successor emerged from Warrington's back room.

Being bottom of the league is payback for trashing the things that are key to building a team and getting the best out of them. No karma for the Swinton supporters though, who are being put through yet another betrayal of the club's heritage and identity.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#43 pricey53

pricey53
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

Absolutely spot on phil

#44 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 583 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

If performances/results were even half good, many might argue that the end has justified the means. But given our league position even that argument is being knocked into a cocked hat. It's therefore very difficult to disagree with Phil's post.

#45 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

Yep one hundred per cent correct Phil

#46 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

Were these things done with bad intention or bad foresight though?
Its amazing how wise we can be after something pans out.
To look back Phil was and is right(its just a pity he has to be unpleasant in the process) and yes we have taken DR too far. I disagreed with playing wood Morley Briers. Many slated us for playing youngsters too.
Could we win?

Our season has become a disaster but a few results could have gone our way and it would all be ok

If we really think our views represent the swinton fan base why are there so few opinions?
Its just a few of us thinking the same but with a different perspective or philosophy on life

Edited by mark richardson, 17 June 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#47 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 583 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

There was a decent turn out at Swinton Legion when the case for the Wire link up was made. There was a few mixed views but I think it fair to say that most fans listened to the pro-case with an open mind & went away with the attitude of "okay let's give it a go." Phil has been consistent with his arguments against DR for deep-seated ethical reasons, but whilst sympathising with many of Phil's arguments others decided that we had little practical choice, and it was a price worth paying if it kept us competitive on the pitch in this crucial season (me included). But unless results improve (and I desperately want Chambers to succeed), you'd have to wonder what it's all been about. I don't think that would be hindsight, it would just be judgment by results (and more importantly where we've been left as a club).

#48 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

I was quite happy with the DR arrangement as explained at Swinton Legion.What changed my opinion was the six DR signings that suddenly became permanent Swinton players three days before the start of te season even though some of these players had signed three year contracts with Warrington in November.

Edited by duffymoon, 17 June 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#49 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 912 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

My turn I suppose.

Firstly I did feel at the start of the season that we needed a general on the field. I had hoped once we announced the deal with Wire that it would be Dwyer or O'Brian. Sadly neither panned out over the season. That is still my belief and we should have the personnel on the field to do this. Watto is slower than he was, also Smithy, but they have the experience still.
I have never been happy with the squad arrangments but was prepared to support it if that was what we had to have. I personally thought that the likes of Evans, Williams, Laithwaite, Riley and O'Brian, being on the fringe of super league selection would have given more to keep themselves on the radar. The disruption of the team week in and week out has obviously not helped.

Regarding GC, I did call for a 'marquee' signing as new coach as the right selection would have been a boost to the on and off field activities. I was disappointed with the choice but I saw the idea behind it. He has been successful at Warrington for a while and worked with a lot of the D/R players available. As it stands, the results don't lie and his arrival doesn't appear to have worked.

What I am absolutely sure of is that we are not done for just yet and it will not help in the slightest by staying away. All we can do is get behind the lads for the next game and for the rest of the season. The people with the power to change things do not stand with us but we need to stand together, roar them on and hope they come good!

I'll be there.........

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#50 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

...... Is it down to the lake I fear?

Aye Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah

(HC100) :tongue:

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#51 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

I am not planning to stay away as that achieves nothing - and nothing has been decided yet regarding relegation - but as we are all concerned about the prospect, if GC cannot turn round the team's fortunes and by that I mean a winning streak certainly against all the teams with us in the drop zone, the odd victory simply will not be good enough.

The situation is I am sure on everyone's mind at the club not just the supporters.............so lets see what happens at Hunslet.....

#52 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

I predict we will need to score more than thirty to win!

#53 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

I predict we will need to score more than thirty to win!

i am certain you will have to score more than hunslet to win

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

#54 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:42 PM

Im staying away....but only because I'm in Utah!
Hello hot weather. ..37degrees and free wifi

#55 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

Any R L teams to watch in Utah?

#56 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 912 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

Im staying away....but only because I'm in Utah!
Hello hot weather. ..37degrees and free wifi

You can get that in the Trafford Centre Mark!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#57 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

Ha
Google Zion national park and bryce canyon

It's a close run thing between the Trafford and here!

#58 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:51 PM

It's a good canyon Mark!

BTW, 10 games lefs folks and we're only bottom on GD. Nothing has failed yet...although it doesn't look good!

See you all (Swinton supporters) on Sunday!

#59 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 583 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if everything was made academic by further restructuring of the leagues. E.g. A Super League of 12 teams and a Championship by licence/invitation might leave us in the brown stuff no matter where we finish in the league.

#60 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

Ultimately Agecroft will be what makes or breaks us!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users