Misleading stats

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

Tonight on Premier Sports they showed a "league table" of DR players that clubs have used this season.    The "table" looked like this:-

Swinton have used 11 DR players

Town have used 9

York have used 9

Hunslet have used 8

Haven have used 8

Batley have used 6

Leigh have used 6

Doncaster have used 5

Dewsbury have used 4

Keighley have used 2

That "table" gives the impression that those at the top end have used the system most whereas a truer reflection would have been to list the number of appearances those DR players have put in.   Some clubs have been using 4 and 5 of their players  most weeks whilst others have only used the odd one or two.   We have the likes of Craven as one of our 9 DR players and yet he only played half a game and others have sat on the bench for the majority of some games. 

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#2 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Totally agree with the exception of Swinton.lol. Joking aside a few on your list like Gore,Briscoe,Flynn,Kavanagh,Craven and Leuluai have hardly played for Workington.If you took 5 dr players and played 10 games each that is more of a reflection.I think Declan Hulme has the most appearances for Workington.Who are the other 2 players?

Edited by widnesrlfc, 13 June 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#3 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

It was a cheap meaningless table that told a small part of the whole story. What if you used 9 individual players on 9 different occasions , one a game . Bit different from using 5 players one week then 4 the next and repeating the process with those same players over and over . You still end up with 9 used either way !!!

Edited by DavidM, 13 June 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#4 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,665 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

Totally agree with the exception of Swinton.lol. Joking aside a few on your list like Gore,Briscoe,Flynn,Kavanagh,Craven and Leuluai have hardly played for Workington.If you took 5 dr players and played 10 games each that is more of a reflection.I think Declan Hulme has the most appearances for Workington.Who are the other 2 players?

i think davies was one. and lawton is the other.

Edited by wonky, 13 June 2013 - 08:53 PM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#5 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

i think davies was one. and lawton is the other.

Lawton is a certain and forgot about Ben Davies.Who has been the best players you had on dual and the worse players?

Edited by widnesrlfc, 13 June 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#6 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

Briscoe head n shoulders then Craven then Leuleui and Flynn , and Davies was poorest . The others were ok but not match changing .

Edited by DavidM, 13 June 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#7 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Of all those 9 players Widnesrlfc how many will be there next year you reckon and who'll be on the market ?

#8 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

Declan Hulme never got a game in his favoured position of centre until his last appearance but he got injured in the first 5 minutes and has been out injured since.    I would like to see him have a game in the centre before I wrote him off.     Ben Davies only played about 20 minutes in total for us from the bench in one game.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#9 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

Adam Lawton has all the attributes to make it but he is going to have to learn to use his size more.    I think that is the thing that disappointed most people with him and I noticed in the SL match last week he was a bit tentative for a lad of his size.

#10 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

It was a crying shame Hulme kept being dragged around to play on the wing while Mossop played inside him . Never got that . The kid could have offered us more given the chance , he looked like a fluent mover with good feet but was never getting a sniff to show his stuff in more than a small portion on the flank for us .

Edited by DavidM, 13 June 2013 - 09:20 PM.

#11 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

Be interesting to see if Briscoe and Paddy get the call for next week and which way Charlo decides to jump,Looks like Widnes are getting a few of their inury prone player back now ( only joking Widnes RLFC) so Workington would have options if they decided to use it. Hulmes back in full time traning and isnt having an operation so he will be avaiable next week as I cant see Betts sticking him in and with Hock back Lawton could be a option also. Nice to have a back up if needed and the stats they have given for DR are ###### and dont give a true reflection

#12 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

Of all those 9 players Widnesrlfc how many will be there next year you reckon and who'll be on the market ?

Well we all know Ben Davies is gone for next year and a few not offered new contracts.Ashame about Shaun Briscoe as always rated him, but seems out of Betts plans.Unfortunanetly for Briscoe that Hanbury is on fire, and I feel also thinks of other options like Jack Owens.Leuluai,Wintersteine,Briscoe and Kavanagh I think have not been renewed contracts for next year.But it is wait out and see now.I think the players that have stood out like Craven are thought highly by Betts.I am disappointed Briscoe has not played much for Widnes,but I am not the coach.lol. Ben Cross is retiring and Unsure on Pickgersgill contract too.I guess we may have 4 or 5 new faces at least next year.

Edited by widnesrlfc, 14 June 2013 - 06:02 AM.

#13 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,665 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

the best performer by a country mile is briscoe, then followed by mcgraff, then i dont think theres much to choose between craven and Flynn as both gave 100%. the other 5 havent been great with lawton probably the best out of them. as for who i would have back up weekly it would have to be briscoe and paddy, cravens probably not needed when you have callum with lupton and now you can throw carter in there as well. mcgraff i thought was great but we now have walne,stack and brett.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#14 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

I hope we have Briscoe and Flynn against Haven , we're ok for forwards if everyone comes through Sunday and Stacky and the beast back . That bit of extra quality and experience , particularly in a key area like full back , is priceless in a derby . Everyone healthy we have far the better squad ... But they'll be desparate to do us there , so I''ll be interested to see what help they call on .

#15 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Will Jamie Acton be fit for next week ?

#16 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

Yes the beast is back says the Star