Hunslet V Swinton

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

Just been looking at the fixture list and our league position.  We have Swinton, Keighley, Doncaster and Barrow coming up in the next few games – without being disrespectful to any of the above and we have lost to at least 2 of these already, we should be in with a shout of winning these games.  Based on our recent form i.e. Batley and Halifax we should be expecting to get maximum points.

We then have Leigh which might be tough, but they blow hot and cold and they are no better than Batley IMO, so a bonus point at least is minimum expectation.

Then Dewsbury; Workington and York – these could prove to be the stumbling blocks.  Similar league positions and similar points-scored and points-against difference.

We then finish off with Sheffield and Featherstone – Hmmmm bonus point time again, but an upset with Featherstone I fancy.

So I make it from 10 games we should be targeting:

5 definite wins: Swinton, Keighley, Doncaster, Barrow, York :ph34r:

2 maybe’s: Dewsbury, Workington ;)

3 possible: Leigh, Sheffield, Featherstone :yahoo:

#2 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Based on our season so far no chance.swinton should be but wouldn't be confident in any of the others

#3 morley-hawk

morley-hawk
  • Coach
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

They may well be winnable games but our away form leaves a lot to be desired, I'd back us to beat Swinton, but I'll reserve judgement on the next three!

Either way, for better or worse, those three away games on the spin will give us a clearer picture of whether we'll avoid the dreaded drop

#4 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 929 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

Rather than try to work out who we need to beat and who will beat who in other games, which is clearly an impossible task (refer to last week's results), I am working on how many points will be required to be safe.

Normally you'd have thought in a 14 team league, 22 or maybe 24 points would be enough, but that won't be the case this time ... I'm going for 30, maybe even 32 as the target ... there physically aren't the league points available to everybody for it to be any higher!! We already have 18 to I would like us to get another 14 points to truly ensure safety.

I think the home games v Swinton and Workington are "must wins", and preferably without giving any bonus points away. We then really need to win any two of the five very winnable away games (Keighley, Barrow, York, Doncaster and Dewsbury), and a couple of bonus points from all the other games. Gives us 14 points and takes us to 32 overall - simple !! ;)

To be honest, more performances like the last one vs Halifax will see us home and hosed with plenty to spare. But if we keep coming up with performances like those against Whitehaven and Keighley (among others) it's going to be a mighty close call ...   

#5 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

When you look at the remaining fixtures for the bottom 9 clubs there is going to be a number of clubs taking points off each other between now and the seasons end.     I think most of the teams look to winning their home games against these other clubs and hope to pick up wins or bonus points away to them, with hopefully the odd point against the top 5 teams.

Fixtures for teams at the bottom are:-

Barrow:-  Home:- Fev; Leigh; Hunslet; Fax; Workington; Keighley.     Away :- York; Doncaster; Batley; Swinton

Keighley :- Home:- Doncaster; Hunslet; Dewsbury; Batley; Fev; Fax.   Away :- Swinton; Sheffield; Whitehaven; Barrow; Workington

Swinton:- Home:-  Keighley; Fev; York; Barrow;   Away:- Hunslet; Sheffield; Workington; Leigh; Doncaster; Whitehaven

Doncaster:-  Home:-  Leigh; Hunslet; Barrow; Whitehaven; Swinton; Sheffield; York.   Away:-  Keighley; Batley; Fax; Dewsbury

York:-  Home :-  Barrow; Whitehaven; Sheffield; Hunslet; Batley.   Away:- Leigh; Dewsbury; Fax; Swinton; Workington; Doncaster

Workington:-  Home:-  Dewsbury; Swinton; Fev; York; Keighley.    Away:- Whitehaven; Sheffield; Batley; Hunslet; Barrow; Fax; Fev

Whitehaven:-  Home:- Workington; Batley; Dewsbury; Keighley; Swinton.   Away:- Fax; York; Doncaster; Leigh; Fev.

Dewsbury:-  Home:-  Fax; York; Hunslet;Sheffield; Doncaster.   Away:- Workington; Keighley; Whitehaven; Fev; Leigh

Take your pick from that lot to decide the bottom two!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#6 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

Does anyone know if Gerry Byron is going to this game?

#7 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

The last e-mail I got from Gerry said he was--- Pat B at the club should know.

Looking at the fixtures listed lets take into account that we haven't won a away game this season-- YET.

#8 hunslet ramone

hunslet ramone
  • Coach
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

Just been looking at the fixture list and our league position.  We have Swinton, Keighley, Doncaster and Barrow coming up in the next few games – without being disrespectful to any of the above and we have lost to at least 2 of these already, we should be in with a shout of winning these games.  Based on our recent form i.e. Batley and Halifax we should be expecting to get maximum points.

We then have Leigh which might be tough, but they blow hot and cold and they are no better than Batley IMO, so a bonus point at least is minimum expectation.

Then Dewsbury; Workington and York – these could prove to be the stumbling blocks.  Similar league positions and similar points-scored and points-against difference.

We then finish off with Sheffield and Featherstone – Hmmmm bonus point time again, but an upset with Featherstone I fancy.

So I make it from 10 games we should be targeting:

5 definite wins: Swinton, Keighley, Doncaster, Barrow, York :ph34r:

2 maybe’s: Dewsbury, Workington ;)

3 possible: Leigh, Sheffield, Featherstone :yahoo:

Good post Gaz,on paper I agree with you, but this is Hunslet we are talking about here, and anything can happen and does do. 

Even a bad Swinton side through the years always comes good when playing us, and vise versa. So Sundays game should be interesting , they usually are good games involving Huns and  Swinton. Looking forward to the game. A big pressure game for both clubs. Result , I think maybe a draw.

#9 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

Will we be getting Coyle back from Leigh for this weeks game?  I think it is a must as it was down to these two Coyles (in part) why we gave Halifax a run for their money. 

If yes, then I think we will win - if no then I am unsure

#10 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

He played for Leigh last week I think so doubt it

#11 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 254 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:41 PM