'Sport' magazine does it again

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,212 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

An article examining the state of Australian sport that does not mention Rugby League once, even in passing.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 916 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

I didn't read the whole article but it seems like it's depicting Aussie sport in a negative way - they can't really include Rugby League because the NRL is thriving and they're the number 1 in the world. It's not really in line with the piece!

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

I didn't read the whole article but it seems like it's depicting Aussie sport in a negative way - they can't really include Rugby League because the NRL is thriving and they're the number 1 in the world. It's not really in line with the piece!

They mentioned AFL in a sort of "throwing money at athletes who should be playing union" sort of way.

Useless rag.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

I can't wait for their World Cup bumper issue for which I assume their keeping their peptide powder dry. Anyone whose on twitter should let coffers83 know that the Campese deficit has been made good by his nephew Terry and Canberra RLFC.

#5 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

Is this magazine connected to the Sport "newspaper"?

#6 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

No, it's a weekly freebie mag in London targeting the rah/hooray henry demographic.

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,212 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

No, it's a free magazine given out at tube and train stations every Friday. Once in a blue moon, they print something readable, but mostly it's Football plus 'Old Fart' sports garnished with lifestyle 'advertorials' for hair product, all covered in a pretty feeble manner.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 Southern Softie

Southern Softie
  • Coach
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

No, it's a free magazine given out at tube and train stations every Friday. Once in a blue moon, they print something readable, but mostly it's Football plus 'Old Fart' sports garnished with lifestyle 'advertorials' for hair product, all covered in a pretty feeble manner.

I think there was an article on tiger chasing (or something similar) once.  The union fan at work always plants a copy on my desk every Friday and takes great delight in saying there's no rugby league in the magazine.

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,212 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

It's a sport magazine written by and for people who don't really like or know anything about sport.

#10 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

RL one of the only major sports never to feature on a cover of sport magazine..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#11 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

It's a sport magazine written by and for people who don't really like or know anything about sport.

Interesting comment. Why do you persist in collecting a copy and readingi it or viewing it online?

Edited by Manx RL, 14 June 2013 - 04:11 PM.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#12 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

I think there was an article on tiger chasing (or something similar) once.  The union fan at work always plants a copy on my desk every Friday and takes great delight in saying there's no rugby league in the magazine.

Next time he does that, roll it up and shove it up his @rs#

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#13 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

RL one of the only major sports never to feature on a cover of sport magazine..

You actually have a point here. There are some minor sports that would get the odd front cover once in a blue moon because of a player that has dominated the sport but RL never does. For instance if George Burgess played another sport, I wouldn't be surprised to see a feature on a young British lad tearing up a sport that is massive in another country. Even if it was a young British lad tearing up a sport like Handball.

As for the article, it over-emphasised the importance of RU in Australia and was putting it on a par with cricket which is just madness. Cricket isn't as reliant on big tours or success as Union is. They will produce cricketers and it's a matter of time before they're at the top again. The same isn't true for Union, they are very much in 3rd/4th place when it comes to winter sports with no guarantee that their fortunes will improve. Currently they have 1 club getting good crowds and 4 getting crowds much lower than in the past. The NSW Waratahs get around half what they did, the Western Force get way less than half of their crowds when they started. The other two clubs have dropped but from a lower number. So they have one club with 30,000 crowds and 4 with crowds around 10-16,000.

The article emphasises the problem of losing players to AFL but that is nonsense because Union is most popular largely where League is popular.  They are losing out on players to League far more than they are losing out to AFL. RL is watched by 4 times more people than Union every year but this article doesn't see that as part of the problem and makes out Union to be much more important than it is. Then there is the problem of Football which is hitting Union probably hardest of all as it has taken over their privileged position as the most international of the Winter codes.

#14 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

think they posted their covers on facebook about a year or so back.. pretty much every sport has featured on the cover at some point. Football, union, Athletics, Cricket, Tennis, F1, Golf, Darts, Gymnastics, boxing, skiing, cycling, snooker, snowboarding, moto gp, swimming, NFL and no doubt more.. Sport mag first published in 2006 and in 7 years no RL on the cover..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#15 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

dare I say it, Rugby League is not a major sport.....

#16 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

1) It clearly is in the country where the article is talking about.

2) It is a relatively major sport it just isn't fashionable. If the M62 went through London it would be classed as a major sport. We are certainly bigger than many sports such as snowboarding that have featured prominently in the magazine.

#17 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

The NRL alone in TV rights gets more money than all Club Union TV rights combined world wide.

#18 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,824 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

Buzkashi is hardly a massive worldwide sport but I'm pretty sure that if they were doing a feature on sport in Afghanistan they would feature this.
(It's a mental sort of rugby on horseback played with a dead goat)

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#19 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

Buzkashi is hardly a massive worldwide sport but I'm pretty sure that if they were doing a feature on sport in Afghanistan they would feature this.
(It's a mental sort of rugby on horseback played with a dead goat)

We used to play that at school.  I never made the starting line-up but usually came on the field of play after about 20 minutes.  I was the James Graham of Buzkashi. :aikido:

#20 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,824 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

We used to play that at school. I never made the starting line-up but usually came on the field of play after about 20 minutes. I was the James Graham of Buzkashi. :aikido:

My friend at work is an Afghan and watches it on his phone. Its mad.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users