TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

'Sport' magazine does it again

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

We used to play that at school.  I never made the starting line-up but usually came on the field of play after about 20 minutes.  I was the James Graham of Buzkashi. :aikido:

You sure you weren't the goat? ;)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#22 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,885 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

Interesting comment. Why do you persist in collecting a copy and readingi it or viewing it online?

As I said in an earlier post, once in a blue moon they publish something readable, and that's more usually down to the interview/article subject being interesting rather than the hack involved. Normally it takes me less than two minutes to skim through the magazine and discard it.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#23 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

1) It clearly is in the country where the article is talking about.

2) It is a relatively major sport it just isn't fashionable. If the M62 went through London it would be classed as a major sport. We are certainly bigger than many sports such as snowboarding that have featured prominently in the magazine.

Which attracts major worldwide companies to sponsor events,does RL?

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#24 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,510 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Which attracts major worldwide companies to sponsor events,does RL?

That's mainly down to the 'cool' factor though. Something RL has never had.

#25 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

maybe if people started moaning about the snowboarding governing body, the quality and quantity of tv coverage/presenters, how the UK snowboarding team was run by a no-mark who picks the wrong boarders and pisses the good ones off, how good honest snowboarders have been sold down the river by  the selfish Snowboarding super league etc etc, Snowboarding could be as successful in  attracting as many world wide companies as we are.

#26 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

maybe if people started moaning about the snowboarding governing body, the quality and quantity of tv coverage/presenters, how the UK snowboarding team was run by a no-mark who picks the wrong boarders and pisses the good ones off, how good honest snowboarders have been sold down the river by  the selfish Snowboarding super league etc etc, Snowboarding could be as successful in  attracting as many world wide companies as we are.

Ooh that hurts.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#27 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

My friend at work is an Afghan and watches it on his phone. Its mad.

Do you think it could catch on in Holme Wood?

#28 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,885 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

I remember reading about Buzkashi for the first time. The older fans interviewed complained that the game had gone soft, introducing the idea of teams and banning the use of knives and chains. Nowadays, you can only 'persuade' the man in possession to let go by flailing at him with a whip tipped with lead shot. The oldtimers also reminisced about the Eighties when, instead of a goat, a decapitated Russian officer was often used as the 'ball'. Now that's a hardcore sport!

Edited by Futtocks, 18 June 2013 - 08:57 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#29 Southern Softie

Southern Softie
  • Coach
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

Today's edition is particularly vomit inducing. My colleague planted the magazine on my desk and announced there was "loads" of rugby in the magazine for me. I could only find a third page piece on the Warrington v Wigan game....

#30 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,510 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

Do you think it could catch on in Holme Wood?

It has alresdy. They use stolen mopeds instead of camels tho

#31 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

I could only find a third page piece on the Warrington v Wigan game....

Going up in the world!

Posted Image

#32 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

Edited by Severus, 21 June 2013 - 12:29 PM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#33 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

It has alresdy. They use stolen mopeds instead of camels tho

What about horses?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users