TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Broncos, Skolars Merger

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

although only recently put to the tables of SL clubs and the RFL for discussion, there has been recent conversation regarding a merger between Skolars and Broncos.

A merger could take many shapes and from rumblings I hear in London is that the proposed merged club would purchase New River Stadium, gain investment from local government, Sport England, RFL and sponsors to build a budget 12k seater stadium with a view to increase size in the future.

The club will play in the Championship in their own stadium and target to be back in SL by 2015/16.

You heard it here first!

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

Blimey
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

although only recently put to the tables of SL clubs and the RFL for discussion, there has been recent conversation regarding a merger between Skolars and Broncos.

A merger could take many shapes and from rumblings I hear in London is that the proposed merged club would purchase New River Stadium, gain investment from local government, Sport England, RFL and sponsors to build a budget 12k seater stadium with a view to increase size in the future.

The club will play in the Championship in their own stadium and target to be back in SL by 2015/16.

You heard it here first!

I don't like the M word.

If, as seems increasingly likely, the Broncos do drop a level, wouldn't it be better to have two clubs in the championships?  Maybe build a bit of rivalry and hopefully a better following for both clubs?

#4 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

I don't like the M word.

If, as seems increasingly likely, the Broncos do drop a level, wouldn't it be better to have two clubs in the championships?  Maybe build a bit of rivalry and hopefully a better following for both clubs?

Well it's M or D and D means Die, think I prefer M.

#5 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

I don't like the M word.

If, as seems increasingly likely, the Broncos do drop a level, wouldn't it be better to have two clubs in the championships? Maybe build a bit of rivalry and hopefully a better following for both clubs?

Your club was the product of a merger

I like the idea of developing the new river stadium a lot
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#6 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

Why can't the Broncos do all of that by themselves, invite Skolars in as tenants and still have two London clubs working side by side to deliver the capital two competitve teams in their respective divisions?

I don't believe a merger will solve the 'crisis' in London. I do however think a move to a permanent residence away from Twickers will be a step in the right direction.

How many times are the Broncos going to have to 'start over'?

The Skolars have made great strides since their inception. They started from scratch. Why scrap all that hard work?

I'd love to see a 'public enquiry' into London and for someone to actually get hold of it for the good of the game and sort this s... out once and for all.

I've not given up faith yet, not by a long way.

#7 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

Your club was the product of a merger

Yawn

#8 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

Well if what the OP has indicated is true it would go someway to solving some of those issues as it would involve a permanent and exclusive home for London Rugby League in an area where no other top class rugby club of either code exist, I do have reservations about the area, but if it's good enough for Tottenham Hotspur it's good enough for us. (notwithstanding the fact they're trying to move out)

#9 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

Well it's M or D and D means Die, think I prefer M.

When you put it like that, it's an easy choice to make.

I just think that the future of the game in London would be better served by two (or more) clubs (finance permitting, obviously).

#10 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

You heard it here first!

If they're going to still be in the Championship, why can't the Skolars just get that in their own?

Sounds like a pipedream to me.

The Broncos need to continue as a brand (I'd go back to the old colours and logo personally) and start again in the Championship in a more appropriate location and stick there. I can't see anything at all that could be gained from merging with Skolars other than losing one London club.

Broncos vs Skolars could be a great rivalry if allowed to grow. Crusaders are doing well since their rebirth.
Posted Image

#11 snoopy

snoopy
  • Coach
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

Please enlighten me as regards "the proposed merged club would purchase New River Stadium"

DH hasn't got the money to do that or he would have done it already!? Skolars haven't got a big investor on board or they would have got it going already.

Both clubs are without serious money, yet they are jointly going to buy a stadium!!!!!??????

Anyone see the flaw in this?

#12 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

I don't like the M word.

Yawn
Keeping it local

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

Please enlighten me as regards "the proposed merged club would purchase New River Stadium"

DH hasn't got the money to do that or he would have done it already!? Skolars haven't got a big investor on board or they would have got it going already.

Both clubs are without serious money, yet they are jointly going to buy a stadium!!!!!??????

Anyone see the flaw in this?

Of course
But if that's what they say they are going to do they must be able to back it up. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out
Keeping it local

#14 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,795 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

I don't know enough about the Skolars to have an opinion on whether this would be welcomed, so I won't make too much comment on it.

As an outsider, I fail to see what this adds to the game, other than a stadium which is a good acquisition, but essentially it's a loss of a club. I like the idea of rivaly in London, and that would be my preferred outcome if London were to drop out of the top tier.

Where's the money coming from to fund this by the way or is that a massive detail that has been overlooked?

Edited by Larry the Leit, 14 June 2013 - 06:20 PM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#15 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

Of course
But if that's what they say they are going to do they must be able to back it up. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out

It will pan out to be a locked thread.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#16 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

Feel like banging my head against a wall with our game at the moment. Why should Skolars merge with Broncos. Why have one less team within the capital?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#17 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

Where is the money for the stadium coming from?

#18 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

Feel like banging my head against a wall with our game at the moment. Why should Skolars merge with Broncos. Why have one less team within the capital?

Agreed. It makes no sense unless the stadium can be bought.

#19 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

Why can't the Broncos do all of that by themselves, invite Skolars in as tenants and still have two London clubs working side by side to deliver the capital two competitve teams in their respective divisions?

I don't believe a merger will solve the 'crisis' in London. I do however think a move to a permanent residence away from Twickers will be a step in the right direction.

How many times are the Broncos going to have to 'start over'?

The Skolars have made great strides since their inception. They started from scratch. Why scrap all that hard work?

I'd love to see a 'public enquiry' into London and for someone to actually get hold of it for the good of the game and sort this s... out once and for all.

I've not given up faith yet, not by a long way.

You got it on one. 2 clubs sharing the same stadium. Common and economical sense.

#20 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

You heard it here first!

Sounds like a plan to me. All we need now is a Super League of 12 (including Toulouse) and a franchised Championship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users