Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Broncos, Skolars Merger

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

although only recently put to the tables of SL clubs and the RFL for discussion, there has been recent conversation regarding a merger between Skolars and Broncos.

A merger could take many shapes and from rumblings I hear in London is that the proposed merged club would purchase New River Stadium, gain investment from local government, Sport England, RFL and sponsors to build a budget 12k seater stadium with a view to increase size in the future.

The club will play in the Championship in their own stadium and target to be back in SL by 2015/16.

You heard it here first!

Sounds like a plan to me. All we need now is a Super League of 12 (including Toulouse) and a franchised Championship of 10 with automatic P&R between the two. Job done.

#22 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

You got it on one. 2 clubs sharing the same stadium. Common and economical sense.

If they did that then they would merge in all but name. Skolars already have a DR agreement with Broncos.

#23 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

I don't know enough about the Skolars to have an opinion on whether this would be welcomed, so I won't make too much comment on it.

As an outsider, I fail to see what this adds to the game, other than a stadium which is a good acquisition, but essentially it's a loss of a club. I like the idea of rivaly in London, and that would be my preferred outcome if London were to drop out of the top tier.

Where's the money coming from to fund this by the way or is that a massive detail that has been overlooked?

Hector McNeil is on record as saying that he wants to see NRS developed as a hub for all RL in London.

I've been suggesting the same thing myself for years

#24 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,308 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

Is there in fact any substance to this story?

#25 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

If they did that then they would merge in all but name. Skolars already have a DR agreement with Broncos.

In my opinion i think it could work.

#26 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

Like its been said the london broncos need to carry on as the broncos with there own brand own identity and make a home for themselves and gain strong links with the local community and gradually build but this I'm afraid will have to be done in the championship, realistically a merger won't make a difference apart from leaving us with 1 less club which isn't the answer we need to create more championship London clubs and grow more rivalries and opportunities for all London people playing or watching but maybe the rfl buying into new river could b a good option thoughts?

#27 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

In my opinion i think it could work.

In mine, it would not. It's not like Hull where there are two clubs both with strong traditions where one side is bigger than the other but at least they play in the same division. Nor like West Cumbria where Haven and Town are of similar strength.

I don't think there are any significant "feelings" between the two clubs either like Saints and Wigan.

Broncos are a bigger club than Skolars, they already loan players to Skolars. I wonder who will pay to watch Skolars if Broncos are in a higher division but asking for much the same admission price.

#28 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

Sounds like a plan to dump the Broncos into a lower league but claim it's a consolidation of resources, with a plan for the future. In reality, once out of SL, that's it for the club. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#29 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:10 AM

Dont think it will happen personally. Still see the Broncos in at Orient next season, at what level, SL or champs i don't know though.

RFL should be doing for the Broncos what they did for Salford, finding a Koukash.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#30 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:36 AM

although only recently put to the tables of SL clubs and the RFL for discussion, there has been recent conversation regarding a merger between Skolars and Broncos.

A merger could take many shapes and from rumblings I hear in London is that the proposed merged club would purchase New River Stadium, gain investment from local government, Sport England, RFL and sponsors to build a budget 12k seater stadium with a view to increase size in the future.

The club will play in the Championship in their own stadium and target to be back in SL by 2015/16.

You heard it here first!

You need to stand back and look at how things have gone over the ten years of London Skolars.

They started as a student old boys club. Then they joined the pro-ranks and came bottom with 430 crowds. Ten years of struggle ended up with them coming 4th. bottom thanks to new struggling CC1 clubs coming in who they could beat and they ended with 525 crowds.

On that crowd growth they will be a Superleague club in 100 years time.

But if they ever hit the Championship, like Hunslet did after being bottom of CC1 they will get a nasty shock as will North Wales Crusaders who people think are now heading back to Superleague. We won 18 of our 20 games in CC1 in 2010. After promotion we won 4 games 2011 and 2 games 2012 with the crowds dropping by a third before the money ran out and we faced closure.

Skolars did have a period of success when someone found money to bring in a lot of overseas players, something everyone likes to condemn on here. This clearly pushed local players out with Skolars ambition ruining their original vision. They put 50 past us on a monday night, but the money ran out, and it was back to struggle.

I love the club and especially the way they soldier on and are a home for our game away from the heartlands, but they need to be a home for ex students to carry on playing the game and a home for developing junior RL, but as a pawn for playing fantasy SL I don't really think so.

Start as many Championship one clubs as you want in London, have them north, south, east, west or wherever but you condemn them to struggle, you condemn them to wasting every penny coming in on paying players, you condemn them to stagnation, and possible collapse chasing short term success if you push them to chase dreams.

What we do need is to use what meagre resources we have to support the amateur game in London, Student RL underpins our game and Skolars would do well to get back to their original vision of ensuring graduates in north London can still keep playing the game. By all means run a vibrant CC1 level club if they can, but run it for the good of the local game. Not into the ground.

No need for any reply as I'll stick with this opinion, no thread locking rows now!!

Edited by The Parksider, 15 June 2013 - 07:46 AM.

#31 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

Dont think it will happen personally. Still see the Broncos in at Orient next season, at what level, SL or champs i don't know though.

RFL should be doing for the Broncos what they did for Salford, finding a Koukash.

The Broncos haved had a generous backer for years. Where I suppose Koukash is different is that he's a one-man publicity machine and is more hands on than Hughes.

My own opinion is that until the right man comes along the RFL should take full control of RL in London, establish a permanent base (New River) and focus on building the club back up from the Championship if needs be.

If the 3x8 nonsense comes in, London will stink like a stone IMO but if the RFL are a bit more sensible with the new structure and use it as a chance to develop a more professional second tier then London could emerge from this as a stronger entity.

#32 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

Whatever happens to the Broncos and to the structure of RL, there should be a seperate Broncs and a separate Skolars. Add another Championship club if you want to as some of the many junior clubs down there produce more players of a higher quality and maybe one of those junior clubs may want to make the step up to the semi pro ranks. One of them may get some decent financial backing (for that level) - it happens. Finance coming in is not all about the top division. I've seen it happen in the lower reaches of Lancashire football for example.

Life in the CC or CC1 does not have to be the bleak picture painted on here by some. Skolars may only be getting crowds of 250 - 600 and they may be comfortable at the level they are at, not struggling hand to mouth, whilst always having the business plan and ambition to aim higher. Championship and crowds of 600-850 would be a reasonable next step for example. All depending on the RL structure again.

Skolars use Broncos players and a 2nd club in London may always do so - structure and Broncos financial future dependent of course. You can't have squad players sitting around and the only option is junior rugby, if you disband a reserve structure.

Classing life as a struggle on 500 crowds in the CC depends on the mindset. There will always be struggles in life and rugby, but it depends on how those struggles are dealt with and moved on from.

Edited by shaun mc, 15 June 2013 - 08:51 AM.

#33 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

Skolars did have a period of success when someone found money to bring in a lot of overseas players, something everyone likes to condemn on here. This clearly pushed local players out with Skolars ambition ruining their original vision. They put 50 past us on a monday night, but the money ran out, and it was back to struggle.

That's not how I remember it. The visa rules were tightened up making it much more difficult to get Australasian players who were not internationals. Other clubs had only one such quota player unless they could find a loophole (such as Bosman, Kolpak) but Skolars had dispensation to have more. Naturally they were hard hit.

#34 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

I agree with Shaun Mc that the Skolars and Broncos need to continue to operate separately at appropriate tiers in order to continue to provide a structured player pathway (yes, a bit like Swinton and Warrington!)

#35 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

Is there in fact any substance to this story?

Doubt it. Apart from anything else, there's no money. In the current era of austerity and cut backs you're not going to get a bent cent out of local government and Sports England, the RFL can't afford it and the prospect of any major sponsorship money, given the Broncos' abysmal record over the last few seasons, is quite frankly laughable.

#36 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Good bid for daftest subject of the year. Sounds like the "conversation" was late one night after several beers.

Quite apart from how a club could get into the Super League in 2015/16 once the new structures are in place, how could this possibly be a merger ? Just sounds like Broncos move to New River, Skolars vanish. Mergers may take many shapes, but they are rarely anything other than takeovers.

And without the financing, it's all a non-starter.

#37 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

You heard it here first!

And your source is ?

This rather ignores the point that to redevelop New River Stadium you would have to get Planning Permission from the local council and overcome the objections of local residents, for it is a residential area and the local will not take kindly to off street parking if crowds grew beyond the 400 odd that Skolars get. And where is the backing for this,. It took Saracens two years, at a cost of £ 25 million with,organisational skill, and lobbying to gain political support and support from local residents to move to Copthall. a 10,000 stadium that is not exactly state of the art. This post implies a merged club next season. and if not 2014, just what is going to happen in the meantime.?

If this happens London RL will be dead. For "organic" growth to occur there has to be money and plenty of it and even for both clubs there has to be a product worth watching..Combine this with the fact that this merged club would play in a semi-pro league with zero media profile. It would rank lower than Dulwich Hamlet FC with the London sporting public. 

Better the Broncos fold thgan merge, but then this is Rugby League and daft ideas appear to be always in fashion amongst those who believe they, and they alone, deserve Rugby League more

So where is your source is it  this .http://www.loverugby...-in-london.html

Or simply someone who was more sauced than a source ?

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#38 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

And your source is ?

This rather ignores the point that to redevelop New River Stadium you would have to get Planning Permission from the local council and overcome the objections of local residents, for it is a residential area and the local will not take kindly to off street parking if crowds grew beyond the 400 odd that Skolars get. And where is the backing for this,. It took Saracens two years, at a cost of £ 25 million with,organisational skill, and lobbying to gain political support and support from local residents to move to Copthall. a 10,000 stadium that is not exactly state of the art. This post implies a merged club next season. and if not 2014, just what is going to happen in the meantime.?

If this happens London RL will be dead. For "organic" growth to occur there has to be money and plenty of it and even for both clubs there has to be a product worth watching..Combine this with the fact that this merged club would play in a semi-pro league with zero media profile. It would rank lower than Dulwich Hamlet FC with the London sporting public.

Better the Broncos fold thgan merge, but then this is Rugby League and daft ideas appear to be always in fashion amongst those who believe they, and they alone, deserve Rugby League more

So where is your source is it this .http://www.loverugby...-in-london.html

Better they fold than merge? You're going to have to explain that one!

#39 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,595 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

The new river complex has 40 acres and is probably zoned as recreational land or some such and as such can't be sold for housing or industrial projects.

There are several other organisations using the site who could be potential tenants for any new owners. Since the stadium has been there since 1905, I would imagine this would serve as a counter argument to any neighbourhood objectors and, with 40 acres to play with, it might be possible to incorporate parking lots into any redevelopment plans.

I agree that there is no money seemingly available to purchase and develop the site but it is a fanastic opportunity. If Tottenham are looking to move from White Hart lane, watch out for them.  

And your source is ?

This rather ignores the point that to redevelop New River Stadium you would have to get Planning Permission from the local council and overcome the objections of local residents, for it is a residential area and the local will not take kindly to off street parking if crowds grew beyond the 400 odd that Skolars get. And where is the backing for this,. It took Saracens two years, at a cost of £ 25 million with,organisational skill, and lobbying to gain political support and support from local residents to move to Copthall. a 10,000 stadium that is not exactly state of the art. This post implies a merged club next season. and if not 2014, just what is going to happen in the meantime.?

If this happens London RL will be dead. For "organic" growth to occur there has to be money and plenty of it and even for both clubs there has to be a product worth watching..Combine this with the fact that this merged club would play in a semi-pro league with zero media profile. It would rank lower than Dulwich Hamlet FC with the London sporting public. 

Better the Broncos fold thgan merge, but then this is Rugby League and daft ideas appear to be always in fashion amongst those who believe they, and they alone, deserve Rugby League more

So where is your source is it  this .http://www.loverugby...-in-london.html

#40 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

Well, there you go then. That settles that.

Posted Image