Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Broncos, Skolars Merger

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

Older fans are lost to the game every year and new younger fans come in every year.

Out of 17-20,000 people who follow Cas, Fev, Wakey who knows how many would follow a merged team now, who knows how many would walk away, who knows how many of the thousands of new fans coming in would follow that merged club in another 17 years.

The easier option is give them only one SL club to watch. May or may not work who knows. Other option is to stick with what we have which isn't working but fingers crossed.....

Here you go again with your mythical Calder community.

Wave your Parky's magic wand, you like big clubs but you have no clue how to create them, but plenty of muck to chuck at those who want to see the game propser at all levels.

Do you even like rugby league?

#62 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

The London broncos really need to find a place they can call home not just the ground but somwere the club can really associate with the local community. If the London club are to stay in super league then I generally believe that they need to hav a higher salary cap to allow them to b successfull on the field they need the help of the rfl but I'm not sure other fans would b happy with this they generally need special treatment as its very difficult for them to compete.
The question Is where is the best place for the London broncos to call home and grow, gillingham, orient, Fulham I don't know thoughts?

#63 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

I'll admit I know very little about the machinations behind the scenes at both clubs but what little I have picked up over the past couple of years would suggest to me that there's two chances of the two London clubs wanting to merge - one is no chance and the other begins with f.

#64 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,146 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

@RBS, it would seem that you might be right

From RLfans (copy/paste job nowt to do wi' me)

This is the situation with London Skolars:

The club has been approached by the council and offered the chance to purchase the ground.

They would like to build a home for Rugby League in London.

London Broncos refuse to even meet to discuss this opportunity.

This was confirmed to me in person today at the Skolars v Gloucester game from one of the Directors & Senior team.

#65 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:47 AM

The rfl should bite the councils hand off if that's the case! I'll throw in a couple hundred quid no problem :)

#66 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:52 AM

If the London club are to stay in super league then I generally believe that they need to have a higher salary cap to allow them to be successful on the field they need the help of the rfl but I'm not sure other fans would be happy with this they generally need special treatment as its very difficult for them to compete.

Well they were Superleague runners up and RL Cup finalists something five other superleague clubs won't manage either unless the Superleague is radically changed. So they have been sucessful on the field.

You can remove the cap for London, but as it stands they can't afford to splash millions. The "special treatment" they need is a Dr. Koukash.

London simply suffer the same problems as several SL clubs (unless a bias view is taken), they can't get a decent enough crowd hanging around the bottom end of Superleague and they haven't developed enough enough local talent. Only four Londoners in the first team squad at the start of the season.

Like any other SL club these deficiencies as per several other SL clubs are partly covered by private money which is a. not enough, and b. about to be withdrawn. So to go forward someone has to bankroll them properly, which in reality is not just enough to pay full cap (it being the latest myth on here that full cap = success), but two to three million a year to have the full SL set up (top medical and training facilities, effective marketing department etc) probably for a lot of years yet whilst players come through the professional set up.

Of course £30,000,000 is nothing to many soccer owners, but this ain't soccer. If the Broncos go as a pro club London becomes like any other part of the country outside the M62, somewhere to keep the best foothold we can for the game.

#67 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

You got it on one. 2 clubs sharing the same stadium. Common and economical sense.

You could do a bit of all sorts. Broncos pass holders could be offered entry into Skolars games for a fiver or have Skolars game as curtain raisers to Broncos games etc.

Pull in the resources, work together, form partnerships, build more relationships with local amateur clubs, see about advertisements at football league grounds, offer free tickets to local sportsmen and women and advertise that.

In short, do everything to keep Rugby League alive and building in London.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users