the death penalty

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
436 replies to this topic

#1 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

after yesterdays sentencing for the pre meditated murder of 2 policewomen amongst many other despicable acts should we just save our taxpayers money and terminate the likes of the perpetrator ? in these times of dna and quilt beyond any doubt should special dispensation be made in certain cases?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#2 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,700 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

no

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

no

Done.

Thread over.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

no

why not?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

Not quite over.As someone slightly to the right of centre, I also say no, no, no , no and no. Never. Ever. 

1. It is no deterrent, thus having it would not have stopped this guy. When people could be hung just for stealing a sheep, guess what? They still stole sheep.

2.The state must never have the authority to end someone's life. Too much room for error. See stefan kiszko case (and others)

3. If the penalty fir murder is capital, then once someone has killed with malice aforethought, there is nothing to stop a massacre.

#6 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

We would have hung the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six. With that in mind I can never agree with capital punishment. I know that there is DNA evidence in this case but what about the next one? Will there be a 'miracle method' in the future that will prove beyond any doubt (and then turn out to be flawed)?

#7 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

Not quite over.As someone slightly to the right of centre, I also say no, no, no , no and no. Never. Ever. 

1. It is no deterrent, thus having it would not have stopped this guy. When people could be hung just for stealing a sheep, guess what? They still stole sheep.

2.The state must never have the authority to end someone's life. Too much room for error. See stefan kiszko case (and others)

3. If the penalty fir murder is capital, then once someone has killed with malice aforethought, there is nothing to stop a massacre.

and a lifetime of having your meals made with no need to work or pay bills etc is a deterrent?

#8 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

the days of forced confessions and framing are well over (its not the sweeny 1973 anymore), an ultimate review panel should sit and make a decision based on all the evidence modern police work brings to them

#9 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

That is the entire point. There is no deterrent to these people. I venture to suggest that the life this guy is going to lead is more of a detterant than killing.   The death penalty will not make the slightest difference. It is the mark of a civilised society that the sate is NOT empower to kill people.

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

the days of forced confessions and framing are well over (its not the sweeny 1973 anymore), an ultimate review panel should sit and make a decision based on all the evidence modern police work brings to them

you know this for a fact.

#11 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

you know this for a fact.

cmon- the police daren't fart in the wrong direction these days without fear of a libel case-times have changed

#12 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

The number of cases that are still happen suggest otherwise.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#13 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

That is the entire point. There is no deterrent to these people. I venture to suggest that the life this guy is going to lead is more of a detterant than killing.   The death penalty will not make the slightest difference. It is the mark of a civilised society that the sate is NOT empower to kill people.

im afraid these liberal views are making your society a lot less "civilised" than it should be, a percentage of society are no better than animals.

#14 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,845 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

Yes, bring it back for terrorist murder and pre-meditated murder.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#15 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

if I had to choose between injecting a faithful german shepard  who had "nipped" the delivery man and a grinning multiple rapist , it wouldn't take me long to decide where to stick the needle.

#16 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

2.The state must never have the authority to end someone's life. Too much room for error. See stefan kiszko case (and others)

Agreed.

The problem lies with the fact that if he'd received appropriate sentences for previous crimes he had committed he would have been off the streets.

Sentencing for crimes in this country is a total disgrace and the people responsible for governance of this have blood on their hands. Needs minimum mandatory sentencing for all crimes. Simple

Edited by Bomballey, 14 June 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#17 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

Nope. Never.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#18 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-22910279

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

I think there is a case for people like Cregan. He'll never come out of jail or be any use to anyone. Simply saying 'it makes us better than them' is pretty unconvincing imo. We need protection from such ####

I don't have a problem with vermin like him being taken out. It's not even like what he did is in dispute. I can easily cope with the scenario of him being killed by the state. Live by the sword and all that

Edited by Johnoco, 14 June 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#20 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm against the death penalty. However, I wouldn't want to much investigation into certain people if they fell down a lot of concrete stairs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users