Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

the death penalty

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
436 replies to this topic

#421 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

Anyway
This brings us to the nuts and bts or rather the wood nails and rope of the matter

What method should be used?

What about public executions? The commercial possibilities and therefore the benefits to the economy could be huge

If you have nothing sensible to add to the debate or are uncomfortable, do as the mods repeatedly suggest.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#422 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

Think this topic has been done to death now.............

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#423 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

If you have nothing sensible to add to the debate or are uncomfortable, do as the mods repeatedly suggest.

So we have a discussion about the death penalty and there are people in favour if said sanction
How is discourse about the method of carrying it out not 'sensible' in this context?
Please try to keep on topic
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#424 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

So we have a discussion about the death penalty and there are people in favour if said sanction
How is discourse about the method of carrying it out not 'sensible' in this context?
Please try to keep on topic

You are clearly trolling here as you seem to dislike people having different opinions to you or not complying with what you feel is acceptable views, hence the ridiculous points until JD locks the thread. It's pretty transparent

#425 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,046 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

It will reduce the number of killings.

All the killings perpetrated by those that have killed, jailed, and been released to kill again, would not have happened.

I understand the point about life meaning life, but it doesn't so it is an invalid argument.

It ain't necessarily so, though.

Firstly, it has been shown that the death penalty is not the deterrent that some think it is.

Secondly, once a killer of one person knows that he might suffer a similar fate, what is to stop him or her taking more than one life?  For example, in an armed robbery that has gone wrong and one security guard is killed, then it opens up the possibility of the killer killing more in an escape attempt or in a last desperate show of bravado.

Edited by JohnM, 11 August 2013 - 05:52 PM.

#426 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

You are clearly trolling here as you seem to dislike people having different opinions to you or not complying with what you feel is acceptable views, hence the ridiculous points until JD locks the thread. It's pretty transparent

I have discouraged inappropriate behaviour on this thread and have stuck to the points of the discussion: suggest you check: same with the relating thread re crime and punishment: suggest you try addressing the actual issues

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 11 August 2013 - 07:10 PM.

Keeping it local

#427 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

I have discouraged inappropriate behaviour on this thread and have stuck to the points of the discussion: suggest you check: same with the relating thread re crime and punishment: suggest you try addressing the actual issues

That's actually quite breathtaking in its arrogance. But you'll get no bite from me, so try elsewhere.

#428 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

No,they don't.

One thread started as a debate, and ended up as a vehicle for the likes of you and Shadow to patronise people.

The other thread began life as a vehicle for you to try to look clever, which backfired spectacularly.

So you don't want to discuss execution methods then?
I would have thought that if you were in favour of capital punishment then you would have ideas on the topic as would those of a like mind
Keeping it local

#429 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

Nope, it's not important how it gets done.

Really?
What about cost, efficiency, public satisfaction
At least you have expressed a view related to the topic : more progress.

But why isn't this topic beneath contempt but the other thread about crime and punishment is?
Keeping it local

#430 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Because the other thread is not about capital punishment, it's about the size of your ego.

Thanks.

How do
I was going to say how do you work that out but that would divert the thread further
But is this not about the op's ego?

Why are you involving yourself in this?
Keeping it local

#431 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

What's it got t do with you?

Everything
Its becime that all of your comments are addressed to me Rather than being about the topic if the thread
Keeping it local

#432 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,046 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:32 AM

No it might not but that is not my argument. I believe there are certain people who commit crimes so heinous that it is justified to make them forfeit their own life. I think it can and possibly should be used in these circumstances. This would amount to a person every decade perhaps, and by no means equates to an automatic death sentence

clearly put and the premis is difficult to disagree with. My argument would centre on it implementation - who decides, certainty of guilt,
Etc. which is why I oppose the death penalty in general and in the specific situation you describe.

#433 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:44 AM

Don't flatter yourself, although I imagine that must be very difficult for you.

I'm just stating a sad fact
Check your posting record
Keeping it local

#434 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

clearly put and the premis is difficult to disagree with. My argument would centre on it implementation - who decides, certainty of guilt,
Etc. which is why I oppose the death penalty in general and in the specific situation you describe.

Sometimes mate, there is no uncertainty of guilt is there?

#435 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

This year the cases of 27 people on death row in the states were found to be unsafe. As youvsay even in this day and age innocent oeople are convicted.These people could easily have been executed but got lucky
Murder is an act of extreme barbarism whatever the motive of the person committing the act
We tell ourselves that we are not a barbaric society. For the state to sanction the killing of one of its citizens no matter what they have done takes us down the road to barbarism. These are the reasons I oppose it. Murders have in one way or another blood on their hands I don't want anybody's on mine.
The thread I started about crime and punishment that related to this thread uses exactly the same logic and justification that are used on here to support capital punishment: which was the point .
Keeping it local

#436 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,046 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

Sometimes mate, there is no uncertainty of guilt is there?

no, you are right. Sometimes there is no uncertainty and the jury decides " correctly" . Sometimes however, there have been miscarriages of justice that would have resulted here in the uk of the death of further innocents.

Edited by JohnM, 12 August 2013 - 08:03 AM.

#437 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,833 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

Time to put an end to this I think.  It's doing nothing but creating disharmony amongst the natives.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users