Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Yorkshire v Lancashire really 'failed' didn't it?

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#81 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,951 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

What could you possibly seek to gain by 'borrowing' a brand synonymous with an institution that spent 100 years trying to systematically crush us other than ridicule and negative comparisons?

Did the doomed Harlequins RL folly teach us nothing?

Rugby League should be celebrating its own proud heritage, not fawning pathetically over someone else's!

The Exiles would've seemed like far less of a contrivance had someone at the RFL had the sense to make the obvious link with the proud history of Other Nationalities games. A few tweaks to the kit, a couple of grainy VTs/interviews with past ON stars and a bit more reverence to our own past and the Exiles would've had (and still could have much more lustre).

We are rugby league!

they dont have to be called the barbarians, in  fact they shouldn't be. It's the concept that's worth adopting IMHO

oh and the barbarians were founded before the split they are part of our history as well

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 15 June 2013 - 04:00 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#82 eal

eal
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

I think the Exiles concept would have worked better a few years ago when the standard of international players in SL was much higher, or at least had the perception of being higher.  10 years ago an Exiles team could have fielded the likes of Henry Paul, Robbie Paul, Michael Withers, Leslie Vanikolo, Brett Dallas, Adrian Lam, Matt Adamson, Craig Smith, etc.,.  A bit more appealing than seeing Lance Hohaia, Heath L'Estrange, and Zeb Taia.

#83 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

I'vebeen going on about it for a while as well

what we have wit the exils is a scratch team put together to give the engklaand team a fairly realistic hit out.

They shoulkd be a club, with its own culture and developing history. It should be an honour to play for them and the club should have its own president-there arent enough honours in he game honour distinguished people in it. It should have its own headquarters perhaps at somewhere like the George and it should elect members , be involved in charities and so on, with the exiles game(s) being part of the calendar players houldn't be just selected from overseas players based in the uk. Let' start a new tradition

I always liked the idea of calling the team 'The Baskivilles' after the bloke who kickstarted international RL by organising the first All Golds tour (and died on the way home!). But in retrospect it's a bloody terrible name.

The Exiles as a brand works fine but they need to make more effort to tap into the Other Nationalities heritage. I like some of your ideas though.

Billy Boston as chairman of the Exiles RLFC?

#84 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,011 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

I agree with lang. Treat ot seriously ams see what happens.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#85 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,951 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

I always liked the idea of calling the team 'The Baskivilles' after the bloke who kickstarted international RL by organising the first All Golds tour (and died on the way home!). But in retrospect it's a bloody terrible name.

The Exiles as a brand works fine but they need to make more effort to tap into the Other Nationalities heritage. I like some of your ideas though.

what a fine first president he would be

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 15 June 2013 - 04:15 PM.

Keeping it local

#86 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

when i started watching RL this was the game i always looked for to and the red rose usually won............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#87 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

How about the "Messengers"?

rldfsignature.jpg

#88 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

when i started watching RL this was the game i always looked for to and the red rose usually won............

I'm not going to ask you your age but do you think that young people from Widnes, Warrington, Wigan etc identify as Lancastrian these days?

In my life I've probably only heard somebody say 2 or 3 times the old 'Widnes is really in Lancashire,' line and I don't think I've heard it for 15 years or from anybody under 50. People of my generation (late 20's) are aware that we used to be part of Lancashire but I don't know anyone that is passionate about our return.

#89 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

The main problem for mine is that if the strength of the game in the UK improves, then the reliance on overseas players will be less, and therefore the Exiles will gradually become weaker and weaker. The concept is completely flawed in this respect, and therefore IMO there is no long term future for the Exiles.

The two competing teams need to be inter-dependent in some way - i.e. as the strength of the game in the UK improves, then the standard of both teams will improve. My personal solution would be to have home nations tests in the Summer that act as a trial for GB in the autumn (which would encourage the likes of Brough, Horne etc to play for Scotland, McIllorum to play for Ireland etc and therefore strengthen these teams up), but that's been covered in numerous other threads and has been slated to high heaven...

#90 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,951 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

The main problem for mine is that if the strength of the game in the UK improves, then the reliance on overseas players will be less, and therefore the Exiles will gradually become weaker and weaker. The concept is completely flawed in this respect, and therefore IMO there is no long term future for the Exiles.

The two competing teams need to be inter-dependent in some way - i.e. as the strength of the game in the UK improves, then the standard of both teams will improve. My personal solution would be to have home nations tests in the Summer that act as a trial for GB in the autumn (which would encourage the likes of Brough, Horne etc to play for Scotland, McIllorum to play for Ireland etc and therefore strengthen these teams up), but that's been covered in numerous other threads and has been slated to high heaven...

But that won't happen if it takes up the barbarians ethos
Keeping it local

#91 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Who can England play that's a test?

That's what it all comes down.

How do we know it's a test if we don't play them?

30-10 last night
44-6 and 48-4 last time we played France. Not Oceans of difference between the two. If the World Cup is a primary target how come we are plating only 1 game prior to the tournament. Fag packet springs to mind. We should be playing against an itnernational team of any notion at least once, maybe the Knights too AT LEAST. Fag packet springs to mind.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#92 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

How do we know it's a test if we don't play them?

We have played them. We do know.

30-10 last night
44-6 and 48-4 last time we played France. Not Oceans of difference between the two.

England vs Exiles:
2013: 30-10
2012: 18-10, 20-32
2011: 12-16

England vs France (mid-season):
2010: 60-6 (Leigh)
2009: 66-12 (Paris)
2008: 56-8 (Toulouse)

There is a world of difference in the results. The Exiles can, and have, turned over England. France's closest result was just avoiding getting beat by over 50 points once. Mid-season, they are no test.

If the World Cup is a primary target how come we are plating only 1 game prior to the tournament. Fag packet springs to mind. We should be playing against an itnernational team of any notion at least once, maybe the Knights too AT LEAST. Fag packet springs to mind.

You don't need to say it twice.

Maybe they're worried about player burn out?
Posted Image

#93 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

But that won't happen if it takes up the barbarians ethos

Fair point - it remains to be seen whether the powers-that-be adopt that ethos or not though.

#94 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

I am 42 born in St Helens living near Carlisle but have no real affinity for any of the counties I could align myself to. War of the Roses just doesn't mean enough. Exiles games are dull without a sense of support in the opponent hence London, if we are including the welsh play it in Wales. Though the truth is they'd prefer a proper international - as would I
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#95 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

Well worth noting that its 2 all in games been played and about 12 points difference now that would say to me that the exiles concept has certainly provided more then a competitive match for England which is vital. For me as a sport the emphasis really needs to gear towards England the international game and more rep footy which in the long run will help the sport by playing more international games. I also believe there's room and mileage in the war of the roses there's nothing wrong with the fact the majority of our players come from this area the concept has abit of history if you like about it and I reckon it could really grow given time and effort.
12 team super league including toulose 23 games including the magic weekend gives us 4 extra weeks during season, week before season starts England play France every year in a pre season test, have a 4 week break from super league mid season giving us the 3 war of the roses games back to back and try to cram up the intrest in a short period of time with the 4th week been England v the exiles

#96 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

Why not have Yorkshire and Lancashire play warm up games against Cumbria and a South team made up of Wales and London players, a bit like the City v Country game.

Ths would be in the build up to a War of the Roses clash that had additional meaning, such as a Test team selection panel sitting after the game. The game would need to be well marketed and players would need to genuinely buy into it and crank up the bitterness.

Players who make themselves unavailable would also be stood dwn from club duty, we wouldn't need to reinvent the wheel here just copy the SoO rules.

#97 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

We have played them. We do know.

England vs Exiles:
2013: 30-10
2012: 18-10, 20-32
2011: 12-16

England vs France (mid-season):
2010: 60-6 (Leigh)
2009: 66-12 (Paris)
2008: 56-8 (Toulouse)

There is a world of difference in the results. The Exiles can, and have, turned over England. France's closest result was just avoiding getting beat by over 50 points once. Mid-season, they are no test.

You don't need to say it twice.

Maybe they're worried about player burn out?

I'll say it till it happens. I picked the latest results.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#98 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

I'll say it till it happens. I picked the latest results.

Until what happens?

The latest results still show a huge gap. The mid-season game makes that gap even bigger.
Posted Image

#99 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

Big pile of cash. Winner takes all.

#100 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

Big pile of cash. Winner takes all.

Who's paying? The fans won't be. Why would they care?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users