Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Results 15th June

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

Conference League South

Nottingham Outlaws 22-22 Bristol Sonics

Close game that could have gone either way, though Nottingham were dominant for most of the second half and at one point were 12 clear. Two quick tries (arguably against the run of play) brought the Sonics level. The Outlaws had a penalty kick 40 metres out (or so) with the last play of the match to win it, but the ball drifted wide.I would have had no complaints if the Outlaws had won - over the 80 I thought they were the better side. We were relieved to get a draw in the end.

West of England League

Bristol Sonics A 6-32 Old Patesians

A very inexperienced Sonics second team today, and a great effort given the circumstances. Chairman Phil pulled on his boots again to help out. Great effort given the circumstances.

Elswhere in the West of England league, there were big wins for Gloucestershire and Oxford, over Swindon and Somerset respectively.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#2 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

The National Conference League website has Bristol as 22-20 winners, and the league table shows the Sonics with the two points.

Any idea about the Sheffield v Northampton game?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#3 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

The National Conference League website has Bristol as 22-20 winners, and the league table shows the Sonics with the two points.

Any idea about the Sheffield v Northampton game?

Sheffield-Northampton game not being played this weekend - not sure what happened but it's been rearranged. The Hallam coach told me yesterday Northampton were missing a load of players at a wedding… I think.

It was definitely 22-all - four tries, three kicks apiece. Most be gremlins in the system or a communication error or something.
www.bristolsonics.com

#4 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

Sheffield-Northampton game not being played this weekend - not sure what happened but it's been rearranged. The Hallam coach told me yesterday Northampton were missing a load of players at a wedding… I think.

It was definitely 22-all - four tries, three kicks apiece. Most be gremlins in the system or a communication error or something.

I'm glad that it was an 'arranged' postponement.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#5 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

It was intended for today, but Don Valley was unavailable. They tried to rearanage for tomorrow but couldn't make it work. No problem really. Plenty of blank weeks to re-arrange it.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#6 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

It was intended for today, but Don Valley was unavailable. They tried to rearanage for tomorrow but couldn't make it work. No problem really. Plenty of blank weeks to re-arrange it.

Quite right - arguably too many blank weekends, but the gaps were intended to help in just this kind of situation. It would have helped if I'd have listened to what Adam Hughes told me yesterday. I blame the real ale.
www.bristolsonics.com

#7 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

Chargers lost 40-64 to Sleaford. Now scored 30+ points in each of the last 4 games but still lost. Defensive drills at training I think!!

#8 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,321 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

Beckenham Bears 14-32 Newham Dockers

This 51 year old is a very sore man this evening. I should know better!!!

Edited by Number 16, 15 June 2013 - 09:02 PM.

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#9 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:26 AM

did you play Graeme ?  :fan:

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#10 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

Coventry Bears A 24 NEW Ravens 16 looks like a better performance from the Ravens as last 2 games lost a lot of ball on 1st or 2nd tackle
Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#11 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

Chargers lost 40-64 to Sleaford. Now scored 30+ points in each of the last 4 games but still lost. Defensive drills at training I think!!

Defence is always the hardest part of RL, especially if players haven't grown up with the game. I play for Kings Lynn and the defence at times is shocking. People are good at one on one tackles but don't understand that you need to continue to slide when the ball goes out wide, that you shouldn't stop if the ball doesn't come your way, that you need to move as a single line etc. If teams can get those three attributes right, defences would improve dramatically!

We lost 16 - 36 against St Ives yesterday who only had 13 players. Gave away 18 penalties and couldn't keep hold of the ball in the second half when we had it.

Edited by GeordieSaint, 16 June 2013 - 10:26 AM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#12 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

Defence is always the hardest part of RL, especially if players haven't grown up with the game. I play for Kings Lynn and the defence at times is shocking. People are good at one on one tackles but don't understand that you need to continue to slide when the ball goes out wide, that you shouldn't stop if the ball doesn't come your way, that you need to move as a single line etc. If teams can get those three attributes right, defences would improve dramatically!

We lost 16 - 36 against St Ives yesterday who only had 13 players. Gave away 18 penalties and couldn't keep hold of the ball in the second half when we had it.

Always easier said than done. We have a mixture of RL lads and RU newbies and the problem is that the RL players instinctively defend properly but the RU lads don't. The gaps are very easily exploited and teams have typically got on a roll against us when we are in disarray. We lose by 20 points or so, and all those points are often scored in a 10 minute period of madness.

Like yourselves, the players don't respect possession enough. Our completion rate is poor, often down to throwing the ball around on 1st / 2nd tackle. Entertaining perhaps, but leading to another "L" in the results column.

#13 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

Always easier said than done. We have a mixture of RL lads and RU newbies and the problem is that the RL players instinctively defend properly but the RU lads don't. The gaps are very easily exploited and teams have typically got on a roll against us when we are in disarray. We lose by 20 points or so, and all those points are often scored in a 10 minute period of madness.

Like yourselves, the players don't respect possession enough. Our completion rate is poor, often down to throwing the ball around on 1st / 2nd tackle. Entertaining perhaps, but leading to another "L" in the results column.

It sounds like we have exactly the same problem! :) Of course it is easier said than done and there is no certainity it would ever work! Utterly frustrating at times...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#14 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

Well done and loads of respect.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#15 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

We had a problem working the sliding defence last winter with 2nd team players who got drafted into the 1st team not being up to the standard of the competition, we solved this by going back to a man on man defence and it brought results.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#16 Coach Warrior

Coach Warrior
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Cov Warriors 40 - Cov Dragons A 36 (HT 24-20)

This was a bit of a milestone in terms of how far each respective club has gone. We had to relocate to a new ground for various reasons, ultimately to ensure club survival. Cov Dragons now are fielding a second team which is kicking in nicely this season. Both teams fielded 18/19 guys with us lending a player or two to ensure a fair matchup. I was impressed with both sets of players attitude and the fact that the average age had to be 20/21!! For the first time since 2011 I have players fighting for places which is never a bad thing!

I just need to uninstall bad union (yawnion) habits (kicking ball away on 1st tackle/Running into touch, etc)

Its T R Y Time!!!

www.pitchero.com/clubs/coventrywarriorsrugbyleague

Coventry Warriors ARLFC

#17 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

This was a bit of a milestone in terms of how far each respective club has gone. We had to relocate to a new ground for various reasons, ultimately to ensure club survival. Cov Dragons now are fielding a second team which is kicking in nicely this season. Both teams fielded 18/19 guys with us lending a player or two to ensure a fair matchup. I was impressed with both sets of players attitude and the fact that the average age had to be 20/21!! For the first time since 2011 I have players fighting for places which is never a bad thing!

I just need to uninstall bad union (yawnion) habits (kicking ball away on 1st tackle/Running into touch, etc)

well done deano after last years struggles good to see you are starting to get the numbers
Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#18 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

Great work Deano. Congratulations to the Dragons too in fielding two sides
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#19 Cov Dragons Dogsbody

Cov Dragons Dogsbody
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

Might as well join in with this Coventry love in then haha!

Are we allowed to hijack the forums tho Ron, given we're not heartland and have never had P&R nor winter rugby.......

#20 Coach Warrior

Coach Warrior
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

Yes cheers its good to see new ravens up in the premier I havent seen that since I started with the bears years back! If you get a free weekend nigel im happy to arrange a friendly - in fact even a midweek friendly would be good!

Its T R Y Time!!!

www.pitchero.com/clubs/coventrywarriorsrugbyleague

Coventry Warriors ARLFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users