TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Jonathan Davies - Trimsaran Boy

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

http://www.walesonli... ... es-3859568

Showing on BBC 1 Wales on Thursday at 9pm

Looks like it's going to have a bit of Widnes content in it from the trailers.

About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#2 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

I was in UHW hospital last week in the short stay unit. We were waiting in the day room to be collected, and as usual the talk turned to rugby, and I said that Boston was the best winger thatWales had produced, non of the others had heard of him except one lady who said she used to be his next door neighbour, It was wonderful to speak to her, and also to let locals know what a great player had been produced in Wales.

#3 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

Some great players came from Wales, and plenty of poor players to.

#4 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,403 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

Jonathan was possibly the second best Welsh convert. Lewis Jones probably the best. But Billy Boston must be in close contention.  Not much in it though.

Edited by Trojan, 16 June 2013 - 08:23 AM.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#5 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 619 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

Jim Sullivan - First
Billy Boston - Second
Joanthan Davies and Lewis Jones on a par

#6 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

Jonathan Davies was one of my favourite players as a kid and along with ellery Hanley and Martin offiah the reason why I converted from football to rugby league, also how good was that welsh team in the early-mid 90's with Davies, young, ford, quinnell, Gibbs, etc and a young Harris and Cunningham.

#7 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

Jim Sullivan - FirstBilly Boston - SecondJoanthan Davies and Lewis Jones on a par

would Clive Sullivan be in contention for this list?

#8 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

Lewis Jones was a very clever player. subtle but very effective. he would get my vote.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#9 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 619 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

would Clive Sullivan be in contention for this list?

Almost certainly I think the tier under the top 2 would have a number of players at a similar level. Emlyn Jenkins has a pedigree to match Davies, Sullivan, Lewis etc etc. Gus Risman would be another high end candidate.

Its easy to forget the forwards but Mills, Coslett and Dixon are notables in my time watching. With Trevor Foster, Gareth Price and Tommy Harris notables post war.

2 More players who may even come above Lewis and Davies are Johnny Ring and David Watkins

#10 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,403 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

Jim Sullivan - First
Billy Boston - Second
Joanthan Davies and Lewis Jones on a par

Perhaps I should have qualified my comment - the best I've seen. I never saw Jim Sullivan play, I doubt if anyone alive today did so who can say how he compares?  Lewis Jones was mercurial, he looked effortless, for that matter so was his goalkicking. No messing about like a certain Union player. He kicked a divot, placed the ball on it, wiped his boot on his sock and kicked the goal - touchline, straight in front - they were all the same to Lewis.  BTW no I'm not a Leeds fan, I used to hate Lewis Jones, but that was because he was so good.

Boston was brilliant.  Clive Sullivan was a very good player, and a great bloke, but I'm not sure he's in the same class as Jones, Davies and Boston.

#11 The Bobster

The Bobster
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

I'll throw Kel Coslett in

Posted Image

#12 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

Davies was a good player no doubt, but I think nostalgia has clouded the minds of some as his defence was shocking.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#13 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,403 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

Davies was a good player no doubt, but I think nostalgia has clouded the minds of some as his defence was shocking.

I think Davies did his share of tackling, but given how good he was with the ball in his hands any lapses can surely be forgiven.  They used to say the same about Lewis Jones, and he played with a silver plate in his arm.

I recall Fev v Widnes at P O Road. Widnes were awarded a penalty inside the 25 at the Railway end, the Fev players turned their backs and began trotting down field, Davies tapped the ball and had run 50 yards before anyone knew what was happening. Widnes scored on the next play. You can't coach that.

#14 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

That "shocking" he was signed by two NRL clubs...

Davies was an exceptional player...its sobering to think that unless RL changes its tack we will never see another "convert" of this ilk, all the players listed above and the hundreds of others such as Offiah would never have graced the game under the modern structure...

Come to think of it we may not even see another Aussie or NZ international player over here soon the way it is going....

#15 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

All those players mentioned are well worth it but John Mantle was one of the best forwards I ever saw.

#16 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

Billy Boston was the Welsh player for me, I have ben fortunate to see all the best since the war, but the sheer power and skill of Boston had to be seen to be believed. I recall being present when a group of famous players were together discussing Billy, and I raised the point that it appeared almost impossible for a single player to tackle Boston and stop him. Like one they stated it was almost impossible to get your arms round him. Lewis Jones made the game look easy converting tries with a casual ease and coming out of nowhere to make the extra man. Sorry, Jonathon Davies was not in their class but you cannot take away he was an outstanding player.

It has to be Boston, I still recall the hair standing on the back of my neck when he had the ball.

#17 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

Talking about Welsh forwards the war curtailed the career of probably the greatest-Ike Owens, he terrorised the Australians in 1946, player of the tour, and played loose forward a position Wales players of top class are few and far between. Would have received his first Welsh cap in '39 but game was classed as war time international. War hero receiving AFM, captained Leeds post war and twice broke RL transfer record.

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

Talking about Welsh forwards the war curtailed the career of probably the greatest-Ike Owens, he terrorised the Australians in 1946, player of the tour, and played loose forward a position Wales players of top class are few and far between. Would have received his first Welsh cap in '39 but game was classed as war time international. War hero receiving AFM, captained Leeds post war and twice broke RL transfer record.

Plenty of Welshmen in 'The Indomitables' touring party - enough of them, in fact, that they made a bit of money on the side as a male voice choir in between games!

Edited by Futtocks, 18 June 2013 - 08:59 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#19 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

Ike Owens was in charge of the choir, and were decent enough to appear a number of times on Australian radio.

#20 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

Looking forward to this programme about Jiffy - should be good.

I just hope the BBC remember that at least half of his career was spent playing League.  The doco by ITV on Gareth Thomas recently, failed to even mention Rugby League!

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users