Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Jonathan Davies - Trimsaran Boy

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

A bit more about some of the programme's content:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-union/22955489

#22 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

just been on again earlier.......enjoyed it, some great footage of Jiffy at Widnes (and Wire, I suppose) and Great Britain.....top bloke

#23 Chafford

Chafford
  • Coach
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:31 PM

Very talented and likeable man who had to cope with the death of his father at 14 and his first wife in his 30s.

#24 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 193 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

When we were on tour in Australia we were all impressed when he bought EVERYONE a drink.

And he was polite enough to listen intently to the scrambled rubbish we were talking.

You will struggle to discover a finer man.

#25 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

had to cope with the death of his father at 14 and his first wife in his 30s.

Indeed, looks like he went through some tough times......however, he certainly landed on his feet with wifey no 2!!!

Edited by chuffer, 30 November 2013 - 10:10 PM.

#26 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

Davies was a good player no doubt, but I think nostalgia has clouded the minds of some as his defence was shocking.

So did you not see that try he did against Newcastle Knights.

Wales were thick as should of came over to League as New Zealand should off.

#27 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

Billy Boston was the Welsh player for me, I have ben fortunate to see all the best since the war, but the sheer power and skill of Boston had to be seen to be believed. I recall being present when a group of famous players were together discussing Billy, and I raised the point that it appeared almost impossible for a single player to tackle Boston and stop him. Like one they stated it was almost impossible to get your arms round him. Lewis Jones made the game look easy converting tries with a casual ease and coming out of nowhere to make the extra man. Sorry, Jonathon Davies was not in their class but you cannot take away he was an outstanding player.

It has to be Boston, I still recall the hair standing on the back of my neck when he had the ball.

Sorry but you have to move with the times.

#28 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

When we were on tour in Australia we were all impressed when he bought EVERYONE a drink.

And he was polite enough to listen intently to the scrambled rubbish we were talking.

You will struggle to discover a finer man.

Yet he puts up with Gussott.

#29 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

Wales were thick as should of came over to League as New Zealand should off.

Mate I know you have dyslexia problems but come on- give us a clue to what that line is supposed to mean.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#30 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

bearman, on 30 Nov 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

Mate I know you have dyslexia problems but come on- give us a clue to what that line is supposed to mean.

One would assume that it's something to do with rugby league being a more natural fit for the Welsh, with the overwhelming majority of players being working class and having more in common with the workers in rugby than the public schoolboys in the RFU.
People called Romans they go the house

#31 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:52 PM

One would assume that it's something to do with rugby league being a more natural fit for the Welsh, with the overwhelming majority of players being working class and having more in common with the workers in rugby than the public schoolboys in the RFU.

Cheers and I find that since the Union game went pro and open the game has suffered in Wales as the RFU really don't give a stuff about the club game there.

Edited by 808tone, 30 November 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#32 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:52 PM

And the new zealand bit?

#33 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

Davies was a fine player, no doubt, but in the big games against the standard bearers of the time - Wigan - he rarely made an impact. To mention his record in the sport in the same breath as Boston is an insult to the great man.

#34 iffleyox

iffleyox
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

Cheers and I find that since the Union game went pro and open the game has suffered in Wales as the RFU really don't give a stuff about the club game there.

God knows I can bash the RFU with the best of them, but even I struggle to see how the mess in Wales RU is anything to do with them. The club game in Wales is the sole responsibility of the WRU, who do give a stuff, but get their decisions wrong...

#35 iffleyox

iffleyox
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

Met him the other week btw, concur totally with the posts above - lovely chap.

#36 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

I reckon the Wigan thing is a bit overdone. Davies performed with credit in the hardest comp of all - the Sydney league.  He is the best convert I've seen since Lewis Jones.  I'm not sure about comparisons with Boston - I saw Boston play and he was a great player, but then so was Davies.  When Davies was playing the likes of Kelvin Skerrett, Andy Platt, Barrie Mac, and Kevin Ward took few prisoners.  Davies has nothing to prove for me.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#37 dengol

dengol
  • Coach
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:11 PM

I think it is difficult to compare the quality of star players over different generations through the history of the game. I saw quite a few of the players mentioned and am in awe at the team(s) they could have made. 

I agree with the comment about 'hating' the best players in other sides. Of course it did not apply when those players joined your own club!

#38 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

I hate Billy Slater, I think he's a cocky so and so, can't see him ever playing for Fev either so I can keep up my hate campaign :)

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#39 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 334 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

Only saw the start of the programme, seems a very decent bloke, but had to smile when the commentator said something along the lines of  'Davis was working in a quarry when he joined (Neath?), but then got a job with a local firm that were more sympathetic to the needs of a rugby player who played in an amateur game'   ;)  

#40 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

maybe too much in common. A lot of the dynamics of welshy rugby is getting one over the snobby English, the perception of English rugby union being posh helps rather then hinders welsh rugby.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users