Exiles idea

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:17 AM

Wondering why there weren't many fans on the gate.

An idea to increase the interest, why don't we have a coaches pick from the nrl come and play? Players who might be available for one game and would put a thousand or two on the gate.

I'm thinking this year, Marshall, Johnson, Jamie Lyon, matt Bowen, beau Ryan. None f these guys are involved in origin.

Would this make you more likey to go and watch the game?

#2 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:18 AM

Just to clarify, I mean only one player.
Kind of like when Steve price played for the kiwis

#3 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:48 AM

nah scrap the exiles....it was brought in to help us prepare for the world cup....its served its purpose now....

with a proposed GB tour planned for 2015 we need something that benefits all the home nations...ie england v wales,scotland & ireland (the celtic tigers)

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

Why not just play a test against France in France. With French players heading for the NRL and playing in the reserve grade and u20 competitions and not to mention the exciting players like fages and escare devolping all the time in super league, France on their own patch are more than equal to the current exiles team and it would be a proper test match which would gain my interest rather than a non event like the exiles.

#5 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

I'd like to see tests with France.

But in the current situation, I'm posing the question as to whether you would be more likely to attend the exiles game if say, benji Marshall was playing?

#6 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

I can't see NRL clubs allowing one of their star players to fly over to the UK mid season.

rldfsignature.jpg

#7 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

Play France and build them up to be competitive.

I can not imagine any NRL Clubs wanting to send a star player to England to play and exhibition match and risk an injury or Jet lagged player on return, why would they?

#8 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

Wondering why there weren't many fans on the gate.

An idea to increase the interest, why don't we have a coaches pick from the nrl come and play? Players who might be available for one game and would put a thousand or two on the gate.

I'm thinking this year, Marshall, Johnson, Jamie Lyon, matt Bowen, beau Ryan. None f these guys are involved in origin.

Would this make you more likey to go and watch the game?

The players you mentioned might not be involved in Origin but they're still playing (Bowen apart who's injured). The NRL clubs are not going to let one of their star players travel to the other side of the world to play in a rep game while missing at least one match for their own side. It could only happen if the Exiles game was at the end of season, and then I'd question whether it would make that much of an impact on the gate.

#9 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

(the celtic tigers)

Still haven't quite worked out why you're so obsessed with naming a team after a discredited economic model.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#10 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

I was thinking of a big cash incentive

#11 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

I was thinking of a big cash incentive

I'd definitely go if there was a big cash incentive. ;)

#12 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

I'd like to see tests with France.
But in the current situation, I'm posing the question as to whether you would be more likely to attend the exiles game if say, benji Marshall was playing?

In all honesty I wouldn't be more likely to attend, I just can't get up for and get excited about England playing a game against a non country like the exiles. Also as stated there's no way that the NRL clubs would allow their star players to travel half way around the world for a exhibition match in the UK. With France now starting to produce some good players and the possibility of Toulouse joining super league I can only see France getting stronger and stronger and playing the matches in France until they capable of beating us on our own soil is a no brainer.

#13 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

Why not just play a test against France in France. With French players heading for the NRL and playing in the reserve grade and u20 competitions and not to mention the exciting players like fages and escare devolping all the time in super league, France on their own patch are more than equal to the current exiles team and it would be a proper test match which would gain my interest rather than a non event like the exiles.

What a great common sense based proposal - and a decent weekend away.....

#14 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

nah scrap the exiles....it was brought in to help us prepare for the world cup....its served its purpose now....

with a proposed GB tour planned for 2015 we need something that benefits all the home nations...ie england v wales,scotland & ireland (the celtic tigers)

I wouldn't scrap the concept. I'd play it in London on ANZAC day. I'd then play the French in France on Bastille Day.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#15 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

I wouldn't scrap the concept. I'd play it in London on ANZAC day. I'd then play the French in France on Bastille Day.

A test match in France on Bastille day against the "old enemy" could be huge IMO, surely that the fact it's played on such a patriotic day and against the English would guarantee a big crowd?

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

Didnt the fans get to vote who was in tge squad in year one and then the manager refined it?

Id be happy with it being Other Natiinalities and Id also head over to France for a Test too.

#17 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

A test match in France on Bastille day against the "old enemy" could be huge IMO, surely that the fact it's played on such a patriotic day and against the English would guarantee a big crowd?

Isn't Bastille day only relevant to the French but not the English? How about playing it near the anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo?

rldfsignature.jpg

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

As was mentioned on a previous thread we should play the Exiles in London on a Saturday for Anzac Day. Even if the game only got 8k in London, that is far more positive than a lower than average crowd at Wire, Hudds or Saints.

We should also play in France with the game arranged well in advance with a supporters club tour. The lack of opportunity for England fans to tour frustrates the hell out of me.

#19 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,872 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

I'd look into a North v South rep game then leave it to the marketeers to name the teams something they could work with and promote.

To be eligible to play you'd have to play for a Super League club, the North/South divide could be anyone born south of Widnes is eligible for the Southern team, so you'd get Welsh, French and Southern England born players and obviously any remaining Aussies and Kiwis!  Throw in any other anomolies such as Tomkins and the South would be a decent team.

Just not sure we'll ever come up with anything as tribal as State of Origin and I suspect if we're honest thats what most of us would like to replicate over here and the knock on benefits if it were a success for England/GB would be immense.

#20 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

The lack of opportunity for England fans to tour frustrates the hell out of me.

You and me both Dave, you and me both.

rldfsignature.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users