Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dr Koukash in Sundays Racing Post

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

I have hijacked this from the Salford board for forumites :-

Excellent two page column in Sundays Racing Post.

Very positive stuff - interview was with the press last Monday.

Some quotes :-

'I realised straight away what I had inherited - it was like a scene from a Horror Film'

'Brian and I are even now settling on the 2014 team and looking further down the line'

' I am in this for the long term - I have given a commitment that we will turn the club around & I intend to get into the world of RL to change things there as well'

etc

Its a good read.

#2 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

Breath of fresh air,top bloke.

#3 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

The Dr has saved my club from extinction, so he is already a hero to me.

I've followed every thread about him on here and RLFans and I am loving it! The jealousy (from some, not all!) is unbelievable. We're bottom of the league and other fans are jealous of us. Bring it on! Loving it! :onthequiet:

Onwards and upwards with the Doctor!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#4 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

I've followed every thread about him on here and RLFans and I am loving it! The jealousy (from some, not all!) is unbelievable. We're bottom of the league and other fans are jealous of us. Bring it on! Loving it! :onthequiet:

If I am honest, I haven't seen any hints of jealously from other fans, nor any reason to be be jealous.

#5 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,717 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

If I am honest, I haven't seen any hints of jealously from other fans, nor any reason to be be jealous.

Come on, the guy's a breath of fresh air. Just look at how much shouting he does.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#6 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

In fairness, it is mostly the nutters on RLFans, but there has been the odd comment here that I read as being a dig at us.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#7 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

In fairness there's a few on here.

#8 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

Couldn't agree more, I'm a rugby league fan 1st and a saints fan 2nd. I'd love to see a strong and successful Salford and would love to see them making inroads into Manchester in terms of potential new fans and grassroots RL.

#9 Wirral Warrior

Wirral Warrior
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Well done the Doctor -the game needs more big clubs especially from the the bigger conurbations.

Wonder how he will react to the 2point deduction ?

Must have aggieved at the £10k fine to think about an appeal with these kind of consequences

#10 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 967 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

The sport needs more Koukash's imo.

#11 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

The doctor is awesome if only we had more people like him in our game be interesting to see Wat he does for nxt season regarding signings and how he's going to get the crowds up

#12 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,665 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Couldn't agree more, I'm a rugby league fan 1st and a saints fan 2nd. I'd love to see a strong and successful Salford and would love to see them making inroads into Manchester in terms of potential new fans and grassroots RL.

yep - despite claims of jealousy, I dont think any RL fan is happy with the likes of Salford and London taking hidings in front of less than 3k.

As a Wire fan it would be great if Salford were getting 10k playing great RL creating a genuine rivalry.

#13 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

I heard rumour that the drs brother was going to buy hkr? don't know if it was true

#14 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

Cant imagine the game without him now, reminds me of Maurice Lindsay, but with more money and a bigger voice.

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

I'm intrigued, was this a purely (or a majority) RL inspired interview with Koukash in The Racing Post?

As in, "we know him for xyz in horse racing, but recently Dr Koukash has taken over Salford City Reds, etc. etc. etc."...?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

Well done the Doctor -the game needs more big clubs especially from the the bigger conurbations.

Wonder how he will react to the 2point deduction ?

Must have aggieved at the £10k fine to think about an appeal with these kind of consequences

I can't see the 2 point deduction bothering him much. Salford won't be threatening the playoffs this year.

rldfsignature.jpg

#17 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

In fairness, it is mostly the nutters on RLFans, but there has been the odd comment here that I read as being a dig at us.

I don't think I've seen many digs at Salford, plenty of digs at the Dr though.  Understandable really, he's got a right gob on him.  I've always enjoyed going to Salford, and I hope they can get their crowds up in the near future and get the team playing well on the park.

#18 CityofTruro

CityofTruro
  • Coach
  • 332 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

I'm intrigued, was this a purely (or a majority) RL inspired interview with Koukash in The Racing Post?

As in, "we know him for xyz in horse racing, but recently Dr Koukash has taken over Salford City Reds, etc. etc. etc."...?

60% about league, 30 about horse racing (his favourite course is Chester which is a mighty fine course) and 10% about general chit chat. An interesting read.

#19 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

Be good to see Salford as a decent team. Just hope the Dr can deliver for Salford next season. They really shouldn't be fighting off relegation next year, which will put the pressure on one or two other clubs to avoid the drop if we go to 12 teams in SL.

#20 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

Salford are on the edge of the North's premier city, there is loads of potential there.

The good Dr is exactly the type of person we need in the game, the old guard have done nothing to promote the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users