Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dr Koukash in Sundays Racing Post

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Not a Salford fan but I love seeing the reaction from other clubs to the good Dr. My oh my is he rattling a few parochial cages. If only we had someone similar down here in London.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#22 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,812 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

Not a Salford fan but I love seeing the reaction from other clubs to the good Dr. My oh my is he rattling a few parochial cages. If only we had someone similar down here in London.

I don't really get the point.

Nobody was bothered when Moran came in at Warrington and started spending money, or Davey at Hudds, or investors at Bradford or Wigan and so on.

Clubs and fans are not complaining due to him being involved, quite the opposite if you think back to when he first came in - people are generally complaining when he sounds off like an idiot. I must admit I find him very likeable and he is clearly passionate, but he doesn't appear the most stable of backers!

#23 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

if marwan can do for salford what steve o'connor has done for widnes then he will be a massive success, the 2 clubs are in a similar situation with not owning their own grounds and being just the name and playing roster, if he wants to make a success of the job he could do a hell of lot worse than get steve to give him some advice on how to turn a club around. but like dave said he does come across as a bit of a loose cannon at times............

Edited by Viking Warrior, 17 June 2013 - 11:42 AM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#24 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,812 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

if marwan can do for salford what steve o'connor has done for widnes then he will be a massive success, the 2 clubs are in a similar situation with not owning their own grounds and being just the name and playing roster, if he wants to make a success of the job he could do a hell of lot worse than get steve to give him some advice on how to turn a club around. but like dave said he does come across as a bit of a loose cannon at times............

You've opened a can of worms suggesting that he should speak to Steve O'Connor.

The last time anybody dared suggest that he may benefit from speaking to people within the game who have been a success I and others were shot down in flames!

#25 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

i know but steve has proved that he has what it takes to turn a club round and get them heading in the right direction, when he took us over we were in a far more perilous state than salford were and he has built the club as a solid business concern before targetting the better players to move us forward. that is really what marwan should be doing as a priority...
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#26 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

I think a Marwan Koukash would do London the world of good.  The southern media wouldn't be able to ignore him.  He isn't remotely parochial, he has a business head, a will to win and a complete disregard for towing the party line.  I think he's fab.

#27 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

i know but steve has proved that he has what it takes to turn a club round and get them heading in the right direction, when he took us over we were in a far more perilous state than salford were and he has built the club as a solid business concern before targetting the better players to move us forward. that is really what marwan should be doing as a priority...

That is what Marwan is doing as a priority though.  He keeps on saying so in pretty much every press release.  Why do people keep ignoring what he is saying?

#28 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

The southern media wouldn't be able to ignore him.

I think they'd have a damn good try.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#29 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

I think a Marwan Koukash would do London the world of good.  The southern media wouldn't be able to ignore him.  He isn't remotely parochial, he has a business head, a will to win and a complete disregard for towing the party line.  I think he's fab.

Referencing the well told original tale, it'll be interesting to see if Koukash was contacted regarding London and Bradford prior to Salford.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#30 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

Referencing the well told original tale, it'll be interesting to see if Koukash was contacted regarding London and Bradford prior to Salford.

I doubt it.  He lives in St Helens and so I couldn't see him considering either Bradford or London as clubs to be involved with.  Salford was a project right on his doorstep so to me seems like the only one on offer that would keep him near his beloved Chester Racecourse as well as at his family base.

#31 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

I doubt it.  He lives in St Helens and so I couldn't see him considering either Bradford or London as clubs to be involved with.  Salford was a project right on his doorstep so to me seems like the only one on offer that would keep him near his beloved Chester Racecourse as well as at his family base.

Righto.

Lucky the Reds went belly up then wasn't it!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#32 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

Righto.

Lucky the Reds went belly up then wasn't it!

Ha.  Somehow I don't think our esteemed leader would have chatted to Koukash on the plane if he didn't have a project already lined up but I guess you never know!

#33 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

He's come out today and said he wants to add a football club to his empire. Just found out that that football club happens to be the world's greatest - yep, Oldham Athletic FC. Very excited if it all comes off - sod Salford and the salary cap Marwan, splash the cash on the Latics! ;-)

#34 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

And apparently a TV Channel, according to Chris Irvine on twitter.. how much money does this bloke have?!.. I like Dr. Koukash..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#35 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

And apparently a TV Channel, according to Chris Irvine on twitter.. how much money does this bloke have?!.. I like Dr. Koukash..

Salford City Red Hot XXX

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#36 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

A TV channel covering horse racing, rugby league and football, according to the BBC. Hmm...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#37 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

Although I for one would gladly subscribe I cant see an Oldham Athletic/Salford Red Devils/Koukash gee gee's TV channel taking off! An internet channel, yes.

How much money does he actually have? He's not that loaded is he? Times richlist type of loaded? Anyway, he talks a good game and I shall endeavour to enjoy the ride

#38 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 591 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

I asked this question on the Oldham forum, did he purchase Salford city stadium when he boughtvthe reds? Because if he buys the Latics then it's lock, stock and boundary park. No point paying rent when you own a decent stadium in prime rugby league territory! !!!

#39 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

Although I for one would gladly subscribe I cant see an Oldham Athletic/Salford Red Devils/Koukash gee gee's TV channel taking off! An internet channel, yes.
How much money does he actually have? He's not that loaded is he? Times richlist type of loaded? Anyway, he talks a good game and I shall endeavour to enjoy the ride

Channel 4 has the pick of the horse racing sewn up for a few years now, so I don't really see him being able to get rights for anything that'll pull in subscribers from that sport. Football rights are expensive even at Oldham's level. Superleague? Sky have that and they have far more financial clout than Dr K. And if they didn't have exclusivity, they'd pay even less for it than they do now.

Edited by Futtocks, 18 June 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#40 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

He's come out today and said he wants to add a football club to his empire. Just found out that that football club happens to be the world's greatest - yep, Oldham Athletic FC. Very excited if it all comes off - sod Salford and the salary cap Marwan, splash the cash on the Latics! ;-)

If this comes off what is the chances of Oldham Roughyeds getting a sweetheart deal to play at Boundary Park especially as they are in a DR deal with Salford.?

Could be important if they win promotion and Whitebank comes under adverse scrutiny from the standards people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users