RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RL Needs Glass Half-Full Mentality

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#21 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 544 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

yet only 8k turn up to watch it??

There will be a crowd not much short of that this Sunday who watch my team Wakey against the current tripe that runs out in the colours of London Broncos.

How does that work? 6-7k of people who want to watch any old rubbish run out in Wakey colours, yet hardly any more want to watch the cream of RL play each other not in club colours!

I would rather watch England play any day of the week, but unfortunately 99% of RL fans are only interested in watching their club side play. Until we change that mentality, the game will always struggle to take the next big step forwards.[

Could the following have affected the crowd?

1. M62 on a Friday evening all the way to wire? It's been a nightmare on there recently. Anyone finishing work at 5pm in Yorks would think twice about taking that journey on. Huddersfield would be a different proposition
2. It was a "friendly" with nothing at stake
3. Money is tight for most people. Why could it not have been played in a more central location? It's a lot of fuel from Hull....
4. Saturday would have been a more family friendly option
5. It's on the telly.

The RL have to be pragmatic about these things. Times are hard and they have be innovative and realistic. There is plenty of indifference towards the England football team from club supporters but the scale of the game masks this.

Keep it simple & they will come.....

#22 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

Just to be clear, no.

1. There are more than rugby fans people in Warrington alone to have improved that attendance, let alone those nearby in Leigh, Wigan, Widnes, St Helens and Salford. No every match has to be staged to attract fans from everywhere.

2. To take South Wakefield Shark's point, how much is at stake inWakefield v London? It is just a bottom of the table clash where even Wakefield's proximity to the top 8 it is unlikely either of them will make the playoffs. The point of watching rugby is to be entertained, and that is a meaningful purpose to any competitive game.

3. It is, but the game only needs to attract 2,000 from each of towns mentioned above to gain a five figure gate. I take the point that league attendances are helped by season pass holders, but there are enough walk-up fans on top of those who could make an international attendance.

4. Matches are regularly played to big gates on Fridays at 8pm, and fans from St Helens, Salford, and Wigan are more used to them than Saturdays.

5. Again as are big Super League matches that draw big gates.

#23 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 544 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

Just to be clear, no.

1. There are more than rugby fans people in Warrington alone to have improved that attendance, let alone those nearby in Leigh, Wigan, Widnes, St Helens and Salford. No every match has to be staged to attract fans from everywhere.

2. To take South Wakefield Shark's point, how much is at stake inWakefield v London? It is just a bottom of the table clash where even Wakefield's proximity to the top 8 it is unlikely either of them will make the playoffs. The point of watching rugby is to be entertained, and that is a meaningful purpose to any competitive game.

3. It is, but the game only needs to attract 2,000 from each of towns mentioned above to gain a five figure gate. I take the point that league attendances are helped by season pass holders, but there are enough walk-up fans on top of those who could make an international attendance.

4. Matches are regularly played to big gates on Fridays at 8pm, and fans from St Helens, Salford, and Wigan are more used to them than Saturdays.

5. Again as are big Super League matches that draw big gates.

Well crafted response..... So why was the crowd so disappointing then?

#24 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Well crafted response..... So why was the crowd so disappointing then?

I'm afraid it's because most fans only care about their own club. If you'd put one of those teams in a Wire shirt and the other in Wigan shirts the match would have been sold out weeks in advance. The quality was there, and it was a good game - no doubt the stats will show it to have been a tougher game than a normal SL game too -  but most fans are very parochial.

With a bit of luck with the weather and a good start by England, the World Cup could be very different and I think it may well take non league fans to persuade leaguies to follow the international game.

If we get a good start to the world cup  in all respects, it wouldn't surprise me to see a surge in interest in tickets from locals in the league heartlands as the comp progresses, as they see lots of other people enjoying the game.

It will be league fans jumping on the bandwagon started by the wider public, rather than the other way round which usually happens with most sports.

#25 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,520 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

I'm afraid it's because most fans only care about their own club. If you'd put one of those teams in a Wire shirt and the other in Wigan shirts the match would have been sold out weeks in advance. The quality was there, and it was a good game - no doubt the stats will show it to have been a tougher game than a normal SL game too -  but most fans are very parochial.

With a bit of luck with the weather and a good start by England, the World Cup could be very different and I think it may well take non league fans to persuade leaguies to follow the international game.

If we get a good start to the world cup  in all respects, it wouldn't surprise me to see a surge in interest in tickets from locals in the league heartlands as the comp progresses, as they see lots of other people enjoying the game.

It will be league fans jumping on the bandwagon started by the wider public, rather than the other way round which usually happens with most sports.

Yep - I'm hopeful that the Welsh public really get behind the Opener like the Southern fans did in the 4N last year. From being at Wembley it was clear that it was more of an event crowd than a regular RL crowd. It would have been great if the RL fans had supported these events as we could have had 60k plus. 

#26 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

The game has disenfranchised many of the hardcore in recent years, I hope we can reverse that soon by re-engaging non SL clubs in the heartlands.

I sit in the 'totally p'd off with how the game is run' section, having previously organised coach fulls to travel to Internationals and other big games. I am sort of 'if the barstewards don't give a t0$$ about me why should I etc' and that is so wrong when the sport has been such a big part of my life for over 40 years, I hope strategy changes and I can buy into the new vision just as strongly as the current vision has driven me away from all but my club.

I will probably take in 3/4 games including opening and final, I have yet to buy tickets to an event that a decade ago I would have at least 50 mates booked on for a Cardiff weekend and probably 2/3 coaches to the final - come on RFL ignite the passion again because in real life my glass is always half full and deep down I really believe this can be the making of RL

Edited by sweaty craiq, 18 June 2013 - 08:21 AM.

#27 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

The game has disenfranchised many of the hardcore in recent years, I hope we can reverse that soon by re-engaging non SL clubs in the heartlands.

I sit in the 'totally p'd off with how the game is run' section, having previously organised coach fulls to travel to Internationals and other big games. I am sort of 'if the barstewards don't give a t0$$ about me why should I etc' and that is so wrong when the sport has been such a big part of my life for over 40 years, I hope strategy changes and I can buy into the new vision just as strongly as the current vision has driven me away from all but my club.

I will probably take in 3/4 games including opening and final, I have yet to buy tickets to an event that a decade ago I would have at least 50 mates booked on for a Cardiff weekend and probably 2/3 coaches to the final - come on RFL ignite the passion again because in real life my glass is always half full and deep down I really believe this can be the making of RL

It's largely although to be fair not entirely because of clubs like yours that changes had to be made

Are you saying the old system that nearly destroyed your club and the professional game along with it was a success for the game?

If you aren't interested in the game beyond your own blinkered self serving desires that's fine it's your leisure time
But this 'nobody cares about us poor victims its so unfair and unjust' carry on is passé, pathetic, untrue and oh so dreary

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 18 June 2013 - 08:46 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#28 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,162 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

That's sad. It a shame to lose all that drive and energy. We have to recognise though, that things can never be as the were and that change is inevitable, especially when forced/sourced by external  drivers.

Accepting and handling change is not necessarily easy for any of us, but in my view it is important to recognise that changes in our game are generally an attempt to adapt to changing circumstances in the wider world...things that the game can have no control over: long term economic and demographic changes, new technologies, broadcasting, how people spend their money,  where and how people live and move around for work and leisure. Ignoring these things won't make them go away.

Fev, Leigh, Fax can fight as much as they like, and good for them, too. The results, though, will in my view be at best marginal....enough to build a sustainable platform but not enough to challenge the fundamental truths of life in the 21st century. They will not be able to resist the overwhelming changes that have swept through the country over the last 30 -40 years

As for being disenfranchised: as we never had a vote in the past, how can we have been disenfranchised?

#29 Roughyhead true

Roughyhead true
  • Facebook
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

The international game use to be much stronger but people just got bored of seeing us getting beat by the Aussies every time. Coupled with the fact we always tried to contain the instead of beat them case in point is the fact we always play forwards at half back.

#30 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

The international game use to be much stronger but people just got bored of seeing us getting beat by the Aussies every time. Coupled with the fact we always tried to contain the instead of beat them case in point is the fact we always play forwards at half back.

Roughyheed, where the attendances for internationals against the Aussies consistently high when GB were more successful against them? 

#31 Roughyhead true

Roughyhead true
  • Facebook
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

Very much so. Wembley would have regular 60 70k

#32 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,520 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

what do you mean?

#33 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

When?

#34 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,154 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:07 AM

The problem is that the mentality seems to go like this:
'I aren't going to (insert RL game) because we will lose.'
Or if winning. ...
'I aren't going we will definitely win, what's the point?

#35 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:55 AM

The problem is that the mentality seems to go like this:
'I aren't going to (insert RL game) because we will lose.'
Or if winning. ...
'I aren't going we will definitely win, what's the point?

It's the same problem they have in Oz with State of Origin. People just aren't interested in it anymore, now that Queensland win it every year. I mean interest in NSW has just dropped off year after year  :D

#36 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,154 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:00 AM

Although to be fair I can understand people not getting their hopes up or just giving up against the Aussies.

#37 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

Although to be fair I can understand people not getting their hopes up or just giving up against the Aussies.

But imagine how you'd feel if we did beat the Aussies and you couldn't be bothered to make the effort to be there! By all accounts these things only come round every 40 years or so.

#38 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,154 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:31 AM

But imagine how you'd feel if we did beat the Aussies and you couldn't be bothered to make the effort to be there! By all accounts these things only come round every 40 years or so.

Ah but I will be there. .just in case.

#39 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:12 AM

This one's drifted (sadly) off its opening positive topic a bit. And as there are loads of other moany threads covering similar ground elsewhere, I'm locking this one.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users