TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

STATE OF ORIGIN - GAME II - NSW vs QLD - Wed 26 Jun

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

1. Josh Dugan
2. Brett Morris
3. Michael Jennings
4. Josh Morris
5. Blake Ferguson
6. James Maloney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Paul Gallen ©
9. Robbie Farah
10. Aaron Woods
11. Ryan Hoffman
12. Luke Lewis
13. Greg bird

14. Andrew Fifita
15. Trent Merrin
16. Josh Reynolds
17. Anthony Watmough

Aaron Woods makes his debut for the suspended James Tamou. I think he is the right choice considering Tim Grant's injuries.

The only other forced changed is Josh Dugan in for the injured Jarryd Hayne. I thought Hayne was in the top 3 players in the first game so he is a loss, but Dugan did a pretty good job in his first Origin game 2 years ago and has the potential for a great game.

QLD team to be named tomorrow.

Edited by CGD, 16 June 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#2 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

I see that the NRL has announced a zero tolerance policy on the biff with an automatic visit to the sin bin for anyone caught throwing a punch.  It will be interesting to see which of the two teams is able to better control their aggression as this will no doubt be a big factor in determining the result.  I had expected Queensland to be out for revenge on Gallen but they'll have to be careful in how they go about it now.

I'd like to think NSW can wrap things up but I'd make Queensland heavy favourites for this one.  I'm still hopeful that NSW will win the series though.

#3 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,996 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

I see that the NRL has announced a zero tolerance policy on the biff with an automatic visit to the sin bin for anyone caught throwing a punch. 

As opposed to the RFL's policy of a straight red.

rldfsignature.jpg

#4 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

As opposed to the RFL's policy of a straight red.

Really?  In Monday night's game between Salford and Wakefield neither Jake Emmit or his sparring partner (can't remember who) were sent off for the bit of handbags that happened between them, nor was there any need for them to be.  The referee handled the situation very well.

The article I've read about this new policy which the NRL has brought in would suggest that any punch regardless of the circumstances will see the offending player(s) get 10 minutes.

Edited by MrFussy, 16 June 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#5 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,996 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

Really? 

Weren't we told this is the case after Wardle was sent off against Leeds in the recent cup tie? That the refs had been told to send off any player throwing a punch? I know that's not the actual case but I believe that's the official standpoint.

rldfsignature.jpg

#6 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

I see that the NRL has announced a zero tolerance policy on the biff with an automatic visit to the sin bin for anyone caught throwing a punch.  It will be interesting to see which of the two teams is able to better control their aggression as this will no doubt be a big factor in determining the result.  I had expected Queensland to be out for revenge on Gallen but they'll have to be careful in how they go about it now.

I'll believe this when I see it. I would think the QLD bigs will feel they have 1 freebie bit of rough-housing enforcement between them to level the score and personally I'd be happy with that, ideally early in the game so we can wipe the slate clean and move on. I do think the Gallen (in)decision has set a bad precedent and could engulf the series but maybe it's best the big dust up came early? But I think we can safely say any tough 50/50 decisions will be going QLD's way and could any morally robust NSW fan seriously take issue with this?

Anyway, immensely looking forward to this and have the day off work so I can watch SOO live for the first time.

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

Weren't we told this is the case after Wardle was sent off against Leeds in the recent cup tie? That the refs had been told to send off any player throwing a punch? I know that's not the actual case but I believe that's the official standpoint.

Nope - I have not seen or heard anything which says this - do you have a link at all?

#8 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:34 AM

Blues campaign off to a good start for Game II then.

Blake Ferguson accused of indecent assault at a bar on the eve of Origin camp. Absolute brain dead moron.

#9 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

Poor news (just read the link from another thread) but a good tough line from NRL. I already had a QLD win for game 2 but think it could be comfortable now. NSW pretty much in disarray.

Is Greg Bird OK after the accidental knee he took from George Burgess in "the wheels" as the commentator amusingly put it in yesterday's Rabbitohs-Titans game? Had me really worried that in light of the awful recent Paul Wood and Richie Mathers injuries over this way, it was a real bad 'un he took. Very impressed that he played on. One of my favourite players is Bird. Fearless and ultra-committed. I hope these lads are starting to wear strengthened support down there anyway, they need more protection from those knees at close quarters IMHO.

#10 robins up north

robins up north
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

Looking forward to the game I,ll be in walkabout in Glasgow. Think the blues will sneak it!

#11 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Close game with the home support being a big factor in Queensland going up a gear or two.

The QLD pack needs to lift for this game and JT will be ready to go, he should not have played in the first game.

The best result will be a closely fought contest with a Blues win in Sydney in Origin 3 but ###### it back to back Qld wins games 2 & 3  :D

Edited by AndyCapp, 18 June 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#12 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

Premier Sports are showing game 2 from the 1995 SOO series on Saturday. At the first scrum in that game a huge brawl broke out with most of the players getting involved in the fighting (all preplanned). Considering the NRL's new edict on fighting, suppose the players decided to do something similar next Wednesday. Would the refs sin bin everyone?

#13 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:48 AM

That's the thing with this supposed black and white rule of not tolerating punches. However unlikely, there must be thought given to this possibility. Who knows?

Official QLD team

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Brent Tate
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Matt Scott
9. Cameron Smith ©
10. Nate Myles
11. Chris McQueen
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Daly Cherry-Evans
15. Ben Te'o
16. Matt Gillet
17. Josh Papalii

18. Martin Kennedy

David Shillington and Ashley Harrison dropped. Congratulations to Cherry-Evans and Papalii for earning their Origin debuts. I think both will have big futures for QLD.

Nathan Merritt called in to make his debut on the wing for disgraced Blake Ferguson. Congratulations to him. He will be heavily tested, hopefully he comes up trumps.

#14 john in oz

john in oz
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

I'd like to think NSW can wrap things up but I'd make Queensland heavy favourites for this one.  I'm still hopeful that NSW will win the series though.

It will be interesting to see what happens should there be a brawl......usually referred to as a "melee" in AFL circles !
Always possible in the highly charged atmosphere of Origin football......protect your team mates, don't take a backward step etc
Would the referee be brave enough to bin 6, 7, 8 players or is there some sort of "get out" provision in this NRL directive ?

#15 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

It will be interesting to see what happens should there be a brawl......usually referred to as a "melee" in AFL circles !
Always possible in the highly charged atmosphere of Origin football......protect your team mates, don't take a backward step etc
Would the referee be brave enough to bin 6, 7, 8 players or is there some sort of "get out" provision in this NRL directive ?

Guess the only real get out would be to bin 2 players from each team maybe? Cant see them binning more than that in one go!

Would assume the two initial protagonists, and then whoever they deem to have been worse from the rest!

I read an article/comment from Gordon Tallis on this saying that he expected to get sin binned every time he had a fight, so he said nothing much has really changed. Guess we'll see just how strict they are going to be on Wednesday.

#16 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

State of Origin will be SOO, I doubt anything will change other than a repeat of Gallens effort in SOO1 which will lead to 10 minutes or unlikely a send off.

#17 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:24 AM

GO THE BLUES!

#18 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

Cant watch the game live unfortuantly  :( But I think Queensland will win, just!

Posted Image

#19 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

A gap has appeared in my work diary that coincides with kick off. Come on Queensland!!!
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#20 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:31 AM

Queenslander!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users