Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

STATE OF ORIGIN - GAME II - NSW vs QLD - Wed 26 Jun

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

It will be interesting to see what happens should there be a brawl......usually referred to as a "melee" in AFL circles !
Always possible in the highly charged atmosphere of Origin football......protect your team mates, don't take a backward step etc
Would the referee be brave enough to bin 6, 7, 8 players or is there some sort of "get out" provision in this NRL directive ?

I'm now reading that mass sin-binnings in Origin aren't considered an option and it won't be reduced to a football (soccer) game if a brawl does break out.  I struggle to see the logic in introducing this zero tolerance policy directly after Game 1 only to decide to relax it before Game 2.

Anyway I'll be glad if they do relax it, I don't think they should change the rules mid series and while I'm not in favour of the biff I would hate to see one of the most enjoyable sporting events of the year ruined by heavy handed refereeing.

#22 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

Inglis to get off his ###### and do something this game. Qld by 8

#23 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

Queenslander!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shout:  :shout:  :shout:  :shout:  :shout:  :shout:  :shout:  :shout:  :shout:

#24 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

14-0 HT
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#25 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Well David Smith the CEO of the NRL and the match officials has ruined State of Origin. No need for 4 sin bins with the brawl. Idiots

#26 brooza

brooza
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

Who was the first in the bin?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#27 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

Farce.

#28 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

Only Merrin should have gone for 10, but in the usual silly style they send two from each team to make it even, Tate apparently went for a push and then head butting Merrin's fist.

They should have never set a rule before the game, I thought the Refs were pretty ordinary tonight in many ways.

If you tackle a player one on one and the ball comes out is that an automatic knock on against you every time?

It certainly has not always been the case in WC finals.

#29 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

Powerful stuff from Queensland, they were in control from start to finish.

Putting 4 players in the sinbin was utterly ridiculous.  What exactly did Brent Tate do other than get chinned by Merrin?  I know it all started when he pushed Gallen off the tackle but you see that sort of thing all the time so surely it can't have been for that?

#30 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

4 were sent at the same time. Technically Tate, then Hodges, Merrin, then Bird.

Bird the only one who didn't throw a punch.

Merrin blatant. Hodges and Tate clearly did on replay despite what the commentary thought.

To the letter of these new laws, it should've been QLD down to 11, NSW 12.

Still, a complete farce. That really took the wind out of Origin. Send Merrin and Tate off maybe. Merrin for blatant painfully dumb punches, Tate for interfeering with defence and perhaps punching as well. But really, penalty to QLD and play on is what fans really wanted.

Well done, QLD. Ferocious football. Those inconsistent strip calls and not calling Slater way offside early had me angry, but by the end QLD just way, way better.

We're really up against it for the decider now.

#31 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

Well David Smith the CEO of the NRL and the match officials has ruined State of Origin. No need for 4 sin bins with the brawl. Idiots

Apparently Smith is a member of this Forum and he changed the refs rules before this game based on a thread from SOO 1 right here.

The uproar here about Gallens attack on Bighead swayed him.

#32 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

Guys, watch the replay. Tate clearly throws at least two uppercuts.

#33 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

4 were sent at the same time. Technically Tate, then Hodges, Merrin, then Bird.

Bird the only one who didn't throw a punch.

Merrin blatant. Hodges and Tate clearly did on replay despite what the commentary thought.

To the letter of these new laws, it should've been QLD down to 11, NSW 12.

Still, a complete farce. That really took the wind out of Origin. Send Merrin and Tate off maybe. Merrin for blatant painfully dumb punches, Tate for interfeering with defence and perhaps punching as well. But really, penalty to QLD and play on is what fans really wanted.

Well done, QLD. Ferocious football. Those inconsistent strip calls and not calling Slater way offside early had me angry, but by the end QLD just way, way better.

We're really up against it for the decider now.

I did not see Tates Punch and Hodges appear to grab

a player much like Bird rather than hit anyone.

Merrin was the instigator he should have gone, that's it.

Edited by AndyCapp, 26 June 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#34 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

I take your word for it but what's he supposed to do if he's being attacked like that?

I'd have to agree with AndyCapp that only Merrin should have gone.

#35 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

Oh well, at least we have a decider for Origin III. :) I hadn't realised the Guardian were doing a Live Blog. Thanks to their publishing interests down under, you can get quite a lot of RL news off the Guardian's website these days. I'm hoping to have got internet radio capability back by match 3.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#36 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

Hodges was swinging his arm. Seen clearly at least twice, connecting with his forearm to Merrins head.

#37 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

MrFussy, I was referencing the new law. Throw one and you're in the bin apparently. That means Tate.

#38 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

The Refs and the commentators must have missed it like Pearce's swinging arm on Slater that he retaliated to and was penalised for.

#39 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

Anyway, it was alot better start by Qld this time, the kicking game was on the mark and the Forwards set the platform, JT was nearly back to form and should never have been in SOO1.

Sets the stage for three weeks time, close game with Qld winning.  ;)

#40 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

MrFussy, I was referencing the new law. Throw one and you're in the bin apparently. That means Tate.

You're quite right, under the new law if he threw the punches he had to go, that's one of the reasons that it's not very fair.  Surely you should have the right to defend yourself?  You can't just stand there getting your head punched in on the assumption that the referee will send the offender off as soon as he's finished beating you up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users