Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Today's MoM

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

Just wondered what people thought?

Gave it to Dan Fleming on the match report - thought he got through a hell of a lot of defensive work and had good go-forward, but interested in other views!

#2 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Just wondered what people thought?

Gave it to Dan Fleming on the match report - thought he got through a hell of a lot of defensive work and had good go-forward, but interested in other views!

Johnson and Campbell looked great when they got the ball, just didn't get it enough. Flanagan was good and always think Byron Smith never has a bad game. It was an odd one to choose as I thought we were not great but they were not good enough to take advantage. But as you, I would have chosen Fleming, as he did especially well for his try as I thought Black tried to not pass him the ball for his try!

#3 kiwityke

kiwityke
  • Coach
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

Dual reg with whom?

#4 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

Castleford Tigers.

#5 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:47 AM

Thought Greg Johnson was excellent dangerous everytime he had the ball

#6 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

good luck in the next round bulldogs. i fancy you for it now, even with an away draw. leigh arent world beaters and man for man you have the better side.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#7 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 665 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

Cheers Wonky,

Still got the 20 - 0 scoreline at the back of my mind. But if we Somehow manage to even it up and get to the final it will be great for the club.

#8 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

It was an odd one to choose as I thought we were not great but they were not good enough to take advantage.

In most of the games this season I would have agreed with you, but I thought yesterday's was a very good, solid performance. It was nice to see us trying to throw the ball about a little more yesterday, and don't forget we had at least 4 tries chalked off. Had they been given, Worky were looking down the thick end of a 50 point drubbing. 

I know it's your opinion and you are quite welcome to express it, please forgive me, this is not meant as a personal attack, but I think it is a little unfair to say we were not that great yesterday.

Make no mistake DD, Workington are no mugs and are actually a very decent side. Four of the lads on show for Workington yesterday have played in SL pretty recently and have international honours too:

(Peter Lupton, Wales, London, Leeds and Hull)

Jamie Thackray (GB, Hull, Leeds and Castleford)

Ewan Dowes (England, Leeds and Hull) 

Mark Calderwood (England, Leeds, Wigan and Hull) 

Don't get me wrong, I'm as guilty as anyone for thinking we are not playing that well at times this season, but I think maybe our expectations are set a little too high? At what point do we stop and realise that we are actually a very good side and credit the lads and the club for what they are achieving? 

So far this season, we have lost 3 games out of 16 and drawn 1, on top of that we also pushed a top 3 SL team all the way in the cup.

IMO our tactic/game plan is to spend an hour-or-so softening the opposition up, we tire them out; then we finish them off in the last 20 minutes. It has happened far too frequently this season for it to be simply put down to a fluke. For a club with our playing budget to be mixing it with the likes of Fax, Leigh, Sheffield and Fev and there budgets is pretty remarkable.

COME ON THE DOGS!

On the man of the match:- There were no weak links, but I'd say Fleming just edged it  

Edited by DOGFATHER, 17 June 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#9 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

Dogfather, great post which I enjoyed reading. Am not copying your post into this one as I hate those long posts which are copied. Anyhow I still maintain we were nowhere near our best yesterday. The result was great, and I thought our first half display was great too. As usual our defence was outstanding. However, for the first twenty minutes of the second half we got involved in a bit of a wrestle, and if Campbell had missed the interception, there was a good chance the score could have been 10-4 at that point.

I think I was left feeling a little flat for exactly the reasons you state. My expectations are high because I believe we are a good team. We took them apart at the end because we began to flow and throw the ball about.

Also after having slept on it, I think I might revise my view of Workington, who were solid and tough.

One last thing, I never take anything personally on here, it's just not worth it.

Here's to a result on Thursday.

#10 LuckyDog

LuckyDog
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

Great debate gents. I am starting to believe the theory that we enjoy an arm wrestle for an hour, use our fantastic defence to wear them out, then we break free, throw the ball about, and the half backs create some great tries.

Not sure it works against the better sides though, and not sure if JK plans it, as we have some great pace in that side, but I am enjoying it while I can!

Man of the match at the moment is so hard to pick, the forwards do the graft, Campbell and Johnson are always a threat, but when Black and Moore get going in the last 20, we look a great side.

#11 mountieman21

mountieman21
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

We look very good from 20 yds out.Not so good on our opponents line.

We are doing the basics really well eg good kick and chase and good hard tackling.

We cannot ask more than 100%

#12 Green Brigade

Green Brigade
  • Coach
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

How did Ash play?

#13 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

He gave his usual decent all round performance, with some strong carries, and willingness to take the ball up. No major breaks but a good, solid game. As normal really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users