Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Halifax game

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 901 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

Not too bad players worked hard enough just beaten by a better team. Fax looked good and shifted ball around well. Morton and Walshaw had good games. I can't believe Finnigan played for Bradford and Sheffield couple of games I have seen him he looks very poor looks better suited to playing for Shaw Cross. Kicking was poor in the second half with the wind. On that performance we look good enough to pick up wins against the teams round us.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#42 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

[quote name="Wakefield Ram" post="2730061" timestamp
But they stuck at it, even saw a good run from Pryce, took a very poor pass on his own line, put in a crunching tackle on Tyrer, saved a try when Morton mis kicked a ball in -goal, so yes he should take the ball up harder but he makes zero errors, draws defenders and still does this whilst carrying an injury.
Vinyl Finnegan is poor defensively, he cannot man mark. So yes time for Craven.
On a separate note, is it me or do the Halifax players spend most of their time whingeing at the ref and each other?[/quote]wish I had your glasses Wakefield ram. Pryce is taking the mickey and I'm not the only one who thinks so, check out the other thread designed specifically with him in mind.

#43 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

If GM has to play Pryce every week then stick him on the wing replacing Michael Finnegan or whatever his name is. GET CRAVEN BACK AT FULL-BACK. The fans can see it how come the coach can't? 

#44 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

I thought Pryce had a decent game today but some fans simply dislike him and he can do no right.

On the other hand some players can also do no wrong in their eyes, so I suppose it evens out. :hunter:

According to our coach no-one played well, they didn't do what they were told, they didn't start quickly enough etc. Not his fault at all.

So that's all right then.

:sclerosis:

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#45 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

I thought Pryce had a decent game today but some fans simply dislike him and he can do no right.

On the other hand some players can also do no wrong in their eyes, so I suppose it evens out. :hunter:

According to our coach no-one played well, they didn't do what they were told, they didn't start quickly enough etc. Not his fault at all.

Surely Pryce listened to GM - they are best friends forever

#46 muddyfunster

muddyfunster
  • Coach
  • 960 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

[quote name="Ackropj" post="2730100" timestamp="1372010653"]

On a separate note, is it me or do the Halifax players spend most of their time whingeing at the ref and each other?[/quote]

Probably whining to the ref about the constant head shots that were going in and not getting penalties for them, the ref was totally ###### and was surprised there wasn't loads if punch ups, he didn't control the game well at all.[/quote]

Hell fire are you sure your not a Leeds fan in disguise? Your guys took hold of the game early on and made sure you were never going to loose, you knew you had to play well today and you did. Try looking at that rather than the officials performance.
He wasn't the best, but they never are... are they? As for head shots you lot were legs and ball every time then? Thought Murrell deserved an Oscar for his first half performance to earn a penalty following the kick.

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/

name.png

#47 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

My opinion ? Thoroughly entertaining. Speedy execution, athleticism and a willingness to work for each other. The set moves were carried out with skill and precision - an absolute pleasure to watch. Then the cheerleaders went off and the team came out - it all went downhill from there. :fie:  :resent:

#48 FaxMachine

FaxMachine
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

Halifax did what Halifax are good at, getting on a roll and playing open rugby so credit to them. They slowed the play the balll much better than we did. Thought we we pretty decent, outmuscled upfront, some kicking was a bit wayward, some was poor esp lack of 40/20s. But can't fault the effort, application or anything else, a good performance against a very good side. If we can get Spicer and one or two others back for next 5 winnable games, things are looking good.

But they stuck at it, even saw a good run from Pryce, took a very poor pass on his own line, put in a crunching tackle on Tyrer, saved a try when Morton mis kicked a ball in -goal, so yes he should take the ball up harder but he makes zero errors, draws defenders and still does this whilst carrying an injury.

Vinyl Finnegan is poor defensively, he cannot man mark. So yes time for Craven.

On a separate note, is it me or do the Halifax players spend most of their time whingeing at the ref and each other?

It's you. lol

#49 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

On a separate note, is it me or do the Halifax players spend most of their time whingeing at the ref and each other?

They take after their coach I reckon: I've heard of men being gracious in defeat, he can't even be gracious in victory.

I think that they suffer from a sense of entitlement (which isn't reflected in their fans I must say) common to all teams that believe they are better than the rest. They were better than us, miles better in fact, but still felt that every penalty should go their way. On the other hand there are quite a few of them that I would quickly take to if they were playing for us.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#50 Wilsden Ram

Wilsden Ram
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

Come on then BSJ - let's have some names.

#51 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

They take after their coach I reckon: I've heard of men being gracious in defeat, he can't even be gracious in victory.

I think that they suffer from a sense of entitlement (which isn't reflected in their fans I must say) common to all teams that believe they are better than the rest. They were better than us, miles better in fact, but still felt that every penalty should go their way. On the other hand there are quite a few of them that I would quickly take to if they were playing for us.

Agree the reaction of the fans was wierd. There was a chap standing by me second half who continued to moan and whinge at everything despite being 20 points up.  Eventually I asked if he could me on his party invitation list.  I imagine that they are jolly affairs. 

#52 Heckler

Heckler
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

Aizue didn't play today - is he injured?

He might be. He took a knock at Sheffield and came off so I presume he didn't recover in time. One thing is for certain though we missed him.

#53 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

Agree the reaction of the fans was wierd. There was a chap standing by me second half who continued to moan and whinge at everything despite being 20 points up.  Eventually I asked if he could me on his party invitation list.  I imagine that they are jolly affairs. 

Actually I meant the opposite - their fans as a whole are a fairly rounded bunch and can take the rough with the smooth. I was particularly aware of this when we beat them in the NRC, after which those few around us congratulated us on the win and wished us all the best in the next round.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#54 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

Come on then BSJ - let's have some names.

Even you couldn't afford them WR.

:blum:

However Tyrer, Murell, Tonks, Divorty and Thackery would come in handy.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#55 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

I've taken a little while to reflect on yesterday's game. Some posters on here appear to have been fairly happy with our performance, yet I was far from being so; maybe I'm over-critical but I hadn't had a drink either. I felt that the difference in quality and application between the two teams was huge and, frankly, too many of our players are simply not good enough. 10/10 for effort but lower scores for ability and nous.

Our defence was energetic but shambolic - some players moved up some stayed back; one or two players are continually guilty of rushing out of the line, leaving gaping holes for their teammates to cover; wingmen repeatedly drift inside leaving their respective wings uncovered (even Morton of all players did this yesterday).

On attack we give the clear impression that this part of the game is never covered during training - absolutely clueless. We move forward in ones and twos; the half-backs never challenge the line, simply shoveling to ball sideways; our kicking game is abysmal; and we must have the poorest options for half backs in the division.

If I looked at the team play last season and compared it with this then I am afraid that I can see no difference. In my view, unreasonable though it might be, our new coaching set-up hasn't made a ha'pennorth of difference to the way the team plays nor its effectiveness.

Fortunately there are at least four teams in the division who are far worse than we are, so relegation shouldn't be an issue; in fact we should make the play-offs. But we can expect little real excitement during the rest of the season, and gates that reflect that situation.

:rtfm:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#56 muddyfunster

muddyfunster
  • Coach
  • 960 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

On attack we give the clear impression that this part of the game is never covered during training - absolutely clueless. We move forward in ones and twos; the half-backs never challenge the line, simply shoveling to ball sideways; our kicking game is abysmal; and we must have the poorest options for half backs in the division.

On at least 3 occasions in the 2nd half  we had a scrum in our own 20, but can't for the life in me understand why we didn't kick either on the 1st tackle or directly from the scrum the wind behind us . Especially early on in the half when we were 24 behind after the break. What did we have to lose?... Zip, Nil, big fat zero after all the game was lost by then but the BP wasn't!!! It's not difficult to see this (Fax had shown us how to do it in the 1st half). By the time we kicked the fullback and wingers were in place to field the ball. Dumb rugby IMO.

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/

name.png

#57 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

I've taken a little while to reflect on yesterday's game. Some posters on here appear to have been fairly happy with our performance, yet I was far from being so; maybe I'm over-critical but I hadn't had a drink either. I felt that the difference in quality and application between the two teams was huge and, frankly, too many of our players are simply not good enough. 10/10 for effort but lower scores for ability and nous.

Our defence was energetic but shambolic - some players moved up some stayed back; one or two players are continually guilty of rushing out of the line, leaving gaping holes for their teammates to cover; wingmen repeatedly drift inside leaving their respective wings uncovered (even Morton of all players did this yesterday).

If I looked at the team play last season and compared it with this then I am afraid that I can see no difference. In my view, unreasonable though it might be, our new coaching set-up hasn't made a ha'pennorth of difference to the way the team plays nor its effectiveness.

Fortunately there are at least four teams in the division who are far worse than we are, so relegation shouldn't be an issue; in fact we should make the play-offs. But we can expect little real excitement during the rest of the season, and gates that reflect that situation.

I came to have a look at both teams, seems to me Dewsbury play too many Dr's and loanees, no settled side.

Bobby Goulding at 7, a key position and a dr player, you need settled players at 6,7 and 13 and full back (Craven) to me.

They look like a team that don't know each other, just my opinion.

Edited by Bat Lad, 24 June 2013 - 02:53 PM.

#58 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

Agree with all of that. Thought the way Fax engineered huge overlaps for those walk in tries was frankly embarrassing. Falling off tackles, no kicking game (did the wind die down at half time ?) and no pace in the backs (morton's OK, but if he sprinted against the Batley team he wouldn't finish in the top five). We are just outside the playoffs, but only two wins and a bonus point clear of relegation - which means we are still in a relegation dogfight as far as I'm concerned. If sunday was just a hiccup in our winning run, fine, but if it's the start of another losing spell we are a long way from being out of the woods.

#59 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

The Fax fans in front of us were great, had some good banter with them and they wished us well for rest of the season.

But do wish someone would give Handforth a good crack, mind you expect there's a few Fax players who would be at the front of that queue.

#60 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

I always find that fax away supporters are a credit  to the club, the trouble is that home supporters are sprinkled with testosterone fuelled football louts looking for a fight.

Ive even seen halifax fans fighting amongst themselves in wetherspoons (And yes, i know rams fans fight over whos round it is)

Red Amber Black - Its that simple