Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Barwick's latest on the Broncos

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

Barwick is not in charge of anything.

Really?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#22 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

Yes, really. see post #15.

#23 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

Yes, really. see post #15.

Ok, nice cut and paste of a job definition. But is he really not in charge of anything?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#24 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

life itself is cut and paste. My italics signify that its a quote.

H'e and advisor, a mouthpiece, a straw man, and can't take decisions binding on the RFL.

see http://www.out-law.com/page-8215

#25 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,983 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

life itself is cut and paste. My italics signify that its a quote.

That fits perfectly to the opening line of the Generation Game theme tune. :huh:

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#26 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

Life itself is cut and paste is the best line I have read on here for a while. It sounds profound. I must drop it casually into conversation with the Surrey cappuccino set.

#27 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

cappuccino is SOOOOO outlet mall! In Staines, they drink proper coffee. 

#28 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

cappuccino is SOOOOO outlet mall! In Staines, they drink proper coffee.

Coffee Staines?

#29 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

what else? Certainly not Coffee matelot   :biggrin:

#30 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

I think that Parksider has said many times that Sky demand a London team when they enter into contracts with the game.

Never said that at all. How do I know what's in a private contract?

#31 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

Times are different, people in charge are different.

I just get the impression that the RFL currently see the Broncos in its current guise as being on a road to nowhere, but that they (the RFL) have neither the desire or the financial clout to take a greater stake in the club. Basically Broncos need to sort themselves out, and if it requires a drop to the Championship and the move to a more suitable (ie smaller) stadium then so be it. 

I would have thought Leeds Carnegie RU side are a good case study. Trying to push pro RU in an RL/ AFC city, they spent big time when they were last in the Premiership and basically got relegated and ran up some important debts. Granted their crowds were a bit higher than Broncos have been getting of late, and there are no doubt favorable terms for their use of Headingley.

Since relegation from the Premiership, Hetherington and Caddick have taken the opportunity to rework Carnegie top to bottom, they have binned the expensive contracts and are assembling a squad made up from the academy and the wider Yorkshire region. It has been painful, but they have a squad mainly of local players who are slowly gelling as a squad, and who were in the play offs for promotion this season just gone. Give it another season or two, and Leeds Carnegie could well be back in the Premiership with a majority home grown squad.

I am yet to hear anyone suggest that there is not a pathway to the RU top table (so Leicester, Saracens, Bath, Gloucester) for talented Yorkshire RU players just because there is not a Yorkshire club in the Premiership. There are stacks of northern born and bred RU players who have had to move to the South East/ West or East Midlands to play top flight RU, why should it be the case that no-one from the South East would want to move to Leeds or Wigan to play the sport they love? Where RU has it right and RL has it less so, is that top RU clubs are more active in scouting talent from the lower leagues than their SL counterparts, particularly when it comes to forwards: the RU Championship is seen as an excellent breeding ground for tough gnarly forwards.

As for the grass roots development in London, I am really not sure how much of that can be directly attributed to the London Broncos certainly in north/ east/ south east Greater London. Granted they might have some impact in the triangle between the M3/ A3 but am not aware that they do a massive amount there (I stand to be corrected on this).

Really enjoyable post that. We shall see how things pan out......

#32 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,941 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

Never said that at all. How do I know what's in a private contract?

You've said it at least a hundred times and it never bothered you that couldn't know it to be true.

#33 Henson Park Old Firm

Henson Park Old Firm
  • Coach
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

Does Brian Barwick have a email address, I would like to send him a email on the issue of the broncos?

#34 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

Life itself is cut and paste is the best line I have read on here for a while. It sounds profound. I must drop it casually into conversation with the Surrey cappuccino set.

It sure is. Everything I have ever done has already been done. Now I realise I don't think I can take it any more...but someone's already beat me to that.

#35 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

I was told an interesting snippet at the weekend, which could be interpreted as London prperaing for life at al lower level. They are looking to ground share/purchase the Skolars stadium and develop it over time.

Idle specualtion on my part, but if you join enough dots...

#36 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,941 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

I was told an interesting snippet at the weekend, which could be interpreted as London prperaing for life at al lower level. They are looking to ground share/purchase the Skolars stadium and develop it over time.

Idle specualtion on my part, but if you join enough dots...

We  already have a thread on that. FWIW it seems that the Skolars are in favour but Broncos aren't.

#37 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

looking like discussions of a Skolars Broncos merger are not all that fanciful now after all.

#38 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,941 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

looking like discussions of a Skolars Broncos merger are not all that fanciful now after all.

?

#39 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

As for the grass roots development in London, I am really not sure how much of that can be directly attributed to the London Broncos certainly in north/ east/ south east Greater London. Granted they might have some impact in the triangle between the M3/ A3 but am not aware that they do a massive amount there (I stand to be corrected on this).

From what I am aware, the grassroots growth has very little to do with the Broncos and almost everything to do with the RFL predominantly funding development officers and community coaches in various areas (including those employed by Broncos). These officers, the community clubs they support and the pathway programmes run by the RFL that the youth elite are involved in has everything to do with the growth over the past 7 years.

I have been told the junior game is contracting already with the reduction in RFL development and coaching staff after just 6 months. The sport it seems is so dependent on full time staff to support and promote it for any growth. That is not necessarily a bad thing. All sports have employees to promote their game.

I think that from this we can draw that Broncos in the lower division will not necessarily have a downward effect on grass roots RL at all. If the RFL continue to not fund development officers and coaching staff, then this will have a massive effect on grassroots RL in the capital.

#40 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

From what I am aware, the grassroots growth has very little to do with the Broncos and almost everything to do with the RFL predominantly funding development officers and community coaches in various areas (including those employed by Broncos). These officers, the community clubs they support and the pathway programmes run by the RFL that the youth elite are involved in has everything to do with the growth over the past 7 years.

I have been told the junior game is contracting already with the reduction in RFL development and coaching staff after just 6 months. The sport it seems is so dependent on full time staff to support and promote it for any growth. That is not necessarily a bad thing. All sports have employees to promote their game.

I think that from this we can draw that Broncos in the lower division will not necessarily have a downward effect on grass roots RL at all. If the RFL continue to not fund development officers and coaching staff, then this will have a massive effect on grassroots RL in the capital.

The loss of the development officers is a far greater threat to London RL than any downsizing/relegation of the Broncos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users