TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Stuart Hall - Jailed for 15 months

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

I have to admit, I have never understood this issue of concurrent sentences. It's cropped up on a number of occasions..seems daft to me.

Is it because the Government's potless ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#42 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Is it because the Government's potless ?

No, sentences running concurrently has gone on for ages.

#43 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

Apparently if you call  Judge Russell a "fat crank" though you will instantly get 2 years

http://www.thefreeli...RT.-a0118611656

"Butler,of Grasmere Avenue, Warrington"

hanging's too good for him

#44 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

That's not the point though, if the judge had not imposed concurrency of sentences then he'd have gone down for 9 and a half years as that's what all the sentences totalled up make.

Then that is what he should have served. 

#45 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

Unfortunately, as the case involves child abuse no sentence would have been deemed enough.

"13 years, that's only 1 year per child".

He'll be locked up, he's 80 odd, he will never be remembered for being the jovial tv/radio personality.

#46 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

Unfortunately, as the case involves child abuse no sentence would have been deemed enough.
"13 years, that's only 1 year per child".
He'll be locked up, he's 80 odd, he will never be remembered for being the jovial tv/radio personality.

So he gets away with it most of his life and because he makes it past 80, not being remembered as a jovial personality is punishment enough? Yeah, sounds really harsh.

I hear all this ' he is 80+' 'he is a broken man' cobblers and it makes me puke. Evading justice for as long as you can should not be worthy of sympathy or leniency, it should make the actual punishment worse.

#47 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

NSPCC have put out a statement about the character reference Hall received:

I’m sure you will have seen and heard in the media the appalling case of Stuart Hall and his abuse of children – these were despicable acts on innocent victims.

Stuart Hall pleaded guilty to these crimes, and has now been sentenced to 15 months in prison - all in all we believe this sentence is too short and rightly has now been referred to the Attorney General for review. This is what I’ve been saying to the media, conscious of the lifelong impact on victims:

"Hall will be free within months but the trauma he caused his victims will stay with them a lot longer – possibly for the rest of their lives. He has shown total disregard for their feelings, even arrogantly branding them liars.

"Whilst it’s commendable that this case was pursued even after such a long passage of time the end result is not a great day for justice or for the victims."

The NSPCC remains totally committed to protecting children from such terrible abuse and the Hall case just makes us even more determined.

You may have seen in some of the coverage that one of our volunteers had signed a statement to the court about Stuart Hall. This was not approved by us, and the first we heard about it was just after the hearing. We reacted quickly by making it clear that these were not the views of the NSPCC. Our volunteer stepped down immediately.

We are determined not to allow anything to get in the way of supporting children who need us. As NSPCC supporters please be reassured that we will always work tirelessly and 100% in the interests of children.

I appreciate this is the second time in a week I’ve emailed you and don’t want to bombard you. Please remember you can always keep up to date on our latest news and views on our website

We rely entirely on your generosity and I want to thank you for your continuing support.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#48 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

So he gets away with it most of his life and because he makes it past 80, not being remembered as a jovial personality is punishment enough? Yeah, sounds really harsh.

I hear all this ' he is 80+' 'he is a broken man' cobblers and it makes me puke. Evading justice for as long as you can should not be worthy of sympathy or leniency, it should make the actual punishment worse.

In comparison, a 75 year old man was jailed for 12 years yesterday in Carlisle for similar offences which dated back to the 1960's.

#49 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

In comparison, a 75 year old man was jailed for 12 years yesterday in Carlisle for similar offences which dated back to the 1960's.

Right, so why was the sentence on Hall such a joke?

#50 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

Right, so why was the sentence on Hall such a joke?

Probably because one had a leading expensive barrister and the other had a low-end legal aid appointed barrister. Money talks in the justice system, especially with its incestuous nature.

#51 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

http://www.newsandst...ferrerPath=news

Rape has different guidelines and tariffs.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#52 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

http://www.newsandst...ferrerPath=news

Rape has different guidelines and tariffs.

Yes I'm aware of that, but there are inconsistencies in the sentencing. Hall committed multiple offences and was jailed for the equivalent sentence of his most serious offence in isolation. This bloke committed multiple offences and was jailed for a period of time in excess of the maximum sentence for his most serious offence in isolation, i.e. there has been a compounding effect applied. The same principle should have applied to Hall.

Edited by Derwent, 19 June 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#53 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

that's why a sentence review has been started.

#54 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

that's why a sentence review has been started.

Well quite but thats not really the point is it. Do you think such a review would have been ordered if this wasn't a high profile case and had been Joe Average sentenced in some court out in the sticks ? If there were consistency in the first place then there'd be no need to have a review.

#55 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Unfortunately, it'll be the only long lasting punishment he will receive. If reports are meant to be believed he's not got many more laps of the track to go. It's not like he's been caught at 30yrs old, which would have changed is life beyond recognition. He's lived his life, a bloody long one and he's been remarkably popular, being reviled for a couple of years now when he'll spend most, if not all, locked away from the world in prison and at home won't change that much.

The victims will never feel like they've had justice, they need to go after others to find out what they knew.

#56 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

That's the problem with being a victim of crime. There is seldom any real justice. To be honest, I'm not sure there can be.

#57 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,152 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Sentence doubled to 30 months.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#58 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

Still a joke.

#59 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

Still a joke.

Yep

Fides invicta triumphat

#60 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

yes it has been doubled, but that 30 month sentence will be automatically halved so he will probably only serve 15 months,

It is a joke  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users