• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

Exactly. Nothing to see here.

I think there is.  The police are investigating.  It was criminal damage to an innocent person's car.  That's plenty enough to see.

#22 brooza

brooza
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

I think there is some cause for concern, at least at a general level. For some reason, and it seems to affect English players more than most, as soon as a player starts hearing that they're a top player they start acting like idiots. Perhaps it's the media who don't bother reporting these things until the player becomes a star, but I think you could find hundreds of examples where players think they've 'made it' and their development grinds to a halt prematurely. Hope this doesn't happen here.

I don't think it does affect the English players more. I've heard plenty of stories of Aussie players getting up to all sorts.
 Just look at Nate Myles' hotel stay in 2009! http://www.independe...or-1735027.html

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#23 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

I think there is.  The police are investigating.  It was criminal damage to an innocent person's car.  That's plenty enough to see.

He made a bad mistake probably on the turps.

I like the way he has admitted what he did and has been dealt with.
If somebody had been injured or hurt it would be a different matter.

South Sydney prop George Burgess has been suspended for two matches and fined $10,000 by the NRL after admitting to damaging property in Cairns.

Burgess will also pay for the cost of the damage, undergo an anger management program and commit to a further 50 hours of community support work through Souths Cares.

I acknowledge that I am a role model for kids and I will do everything I can to restore my reputation through working harder in the community.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz2WZBJpvBx

"

#24 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

He made a bad mistake probably on the turps.

I like the way he has admitted what he did and has been dealt with.
If somebody had been injured or hurt it would be a different matter.

"

Smashing a car window isn't a mistake.  He didn't intend, say, to smash up a turnip and hit a car window by mistake. He knew what he was doing and chose to do it.  Being drunk is no excuse.

#25 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,442 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

Smashing a car window isn't a mistake.  He didn't intend, say, to smash up a turnip and hit a car window by mistake. He knew what he was doing and chose to do it.  Being drunk is no excuse.

You are confusing the word mistake with accident.

It was mistake was getting so drunk that he did this.

#26 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

I was not there to see the circumstances, I know I have done some silly things in my life that had unintended results.

I am not excusing what he did, I am just saying he has been dealt with, suspended for 2 weeks, $10k fine and pay for the repairs of the damage he caused.

He seems remorseful what else can be done?

#27 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

I don't think it does affect the English players more. I've heard plenty of stories of Aussie players getting up to all sorts.
 Just look at Nate Myles' hotel stay in 2009! http://www.independe...or-1735027.html

Just to be clear, I am not saying Australian players don't act like idiots. God knows the person who wants to catalogue every idiotic act perpetrated by an Australian RL player/coach wil come up with a tome greater than Diderot and D'Alembert's first cut of the encyclopedia.

No, my point was that for English RL players it seems to come at a particular point in their development, and many very talented youngsters have plateaued where an Aussie player might go to become an all-time great.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#28 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

Just to be clear, I am not saying Australian players don't act like idiots. God knows the person who wants to catalogue every idiotic act perpetrated by an Australian RL player/coach wil come up with a tome greater than Diderot and D'Alembert's first cut of the encyclopedia.

No, my point was that for English RL players it seems to come at a particular point in their development, and many very talented youngsters have plateaued where an Aussie player might go to become an all-time great.

"Just to be clear"  you are worrying me now Browny.  ;)

#29 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

That was a lunch hour on Wikipedia well spent. ;)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#30 Rover and out

Rover and out
  • Players
  • 99 posts

With the reaction of some here you would think he's killed someone, he's a young lad that's made a drunken mistake, he's immediately apologised for this and shown remorse and it's being delt with. Hopefully he'll learn his lesson and be a better person for it. And those people blaming it on the Aussie culture need to grow up and get a grip, it happens over here too, it just doesn't get as much news coverage because of the games low profile here.

Edited by Rover and out, 18 June 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#31 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

That was a lunch hour on Wikipedia well spent. ;)

Not at all, we used to have a copy in the university library. Would have taken longer than a lunch hour though, it took 24 years* to write!

*that bit did come from Wikipedia :P

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#32 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

24 years? F'ing students. They probably used the first 10 drafts for kindling in the winter having spent their money on cider and magic cigarettes. Bet they got grants for it and 10 week summer holidays.

#33 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

You are confusing the word mistake with accident.

It was mistake was getting so drunk that he did this.

No I'm not. However, a mistake is usually made in ignorance and it is in retrospect that we realise our mistake (error of judgment).  He knew what he was doing when he went out drinking and he knew what he was doing when he smashed a window.  A drunk person is perfectly capable of making choices (unless unconscious, obviously!) albeit with less consideration for the consequences.

Let's call it what it was: he did something wrong, he knows he did something wrong, and the club are attempting to make sure he doesn't do anything wrong like that again. 

#34 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

...And those people blaming it on the Aussie culture need to grow up and get a grip...

Haha. This is an English forum. As sure as the sun rises...

#35 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Haha. This is an English forum. As sure as the sun rises...

... it's dark in Australia...?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#36 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,442 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

No I'm not. However, a mistake is usually made in ignorance and it is in retrospect that we realise our mistake (error of judgment).  He knew what he was doing when he went out drinking and he knew what he was doing when he smashed a window.  A drunk person is perfectly capable of making choices (unless unconscious, obviously!) albeit with less consideration for the consequences.

Let's call it what it was: he did something wrong, he knows he did something wrong, and the club are attempting to make sure he doesn't do anything wrong like that again. 

He made a mistake.

We can go down the deictionary definition route if need be.

His judgement was poor, he knows he did something wrong.

#37 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

Browny's hogging the encyclopaedia, Dave's got the dictionary; did someone in Warrington dish out the smarty pants today?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users